Washington connection for CL

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Midland Valley

Lead Service Attendant
I'm going to going to Phil. in about a month. I'll be on #30 from Chi-WAS and connect to Regional 148 which leaves WUS at 3:05. If 30 is running 3-4 hours late as it can, and I miss the 148, do they just stick you on the next train to Philly or do you have a little choice? Also, is there luggage storage on regional trains?

I've never had to do this on the northbound route, but I did miss my NYP-WAS train once because of a very late LIRR connection. I explained the situation to the NYP ticket agent, and they rebooked me on the next train out (which was only an hour after my scheduled departure). There was no charge for doing this, but I did loose my student advantage credit because of the '3-day' rule.

I guess I didn't really answer your question. I had a choice on which Regional I wanted - I happened to choose the next available one. But I think they would have been happy to rebook me on any one that day.

There is overhead storage on Regionals sufficient for rollerboard suitcases (the storage is bigger than wide-body jet bins). There is also storage at the ends of the train cars for larger items.

You will most likely be put on Regional 134 if it's a near miss, they're not likely to hold a Regional for you. I don't know what your marriage to 148 is (since you're only going to Philly), all the Regionals are basically the same. If it looks more like the 4 O'Clock hour when you're going to be boarding you could ask to be put on the Acela since the run is about 15 minutes faster and you'll already be late, space available of course. Now if you're looking for some time to bum around WAS you could ask to be put on a later Regional, space available.

no marriage, its just the one they booked us on when I made the reservation. In fact I would have rather had a later train to Philly but I don't want to pay any more to change it.

cbender said:
I guess I didn't really answer your question. I had a choice on which Regional I wanted - I happened to choose the next available one. But I think they would have been happy to rebook me on any one that day.
The difference in your case, though, is that you came from LIRR. There aren't any guaranteed connections between Amtrak and commuter authorities in the northeast. Your rebooking would have been no different than if someone walked into NYP off the street too late to catch their Regional train.

If you miss a connection, they'll rebook you on the next train for no extra charge. It's possible that, if you'd rather take a different one some time later, then they'd charge you the fare difference.

Well it depends Rob, the Northeast is still running with its peak/non-peak system. As far as I can tell it looks like it's equivalent cost (right now) for 148 vs. any other Regional later that day. If he were to take 198 (10:30 arrival) or 66 (11:57 arrival) it'd actually be $10 cheaper.

According to Amtrak, the peak/shoulder/off-peak fare system was discontinued on the Regional trains in October 2005, and on Acela Express/Metroliner trains earlier this week.

News Release

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back