Was the pricing glitch fixed?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

the_traveler

Engineer
I just did a dummy reservation from NOL to ATL. First as always I did 1 person, then did 2 people. The 2 person fare showed the 2 person rate for the roomette plus just the 2 rail fares - not higher as before.

So did they "fix the error"? :huh:

Maybe. Or maybe there were at least 2 roomettes in the same lowest bucket available when you did your dummy rez.

Looking at the Crescent on Thursday 5/15, there is one accessible bedroom left. Room charge is $572 whether you book for one person or two.

Maybe fixed?

Edit: WAS-ATL if anyone else wants to look.

Edit: Superliner bedroom is good too, CHI-PDX on todays 27. $1671 regardless of 1 or 2 pax.

Another edit: These are trains on the verge of selling out, which means there is no "next bucket" to kick into. Need to look further out to find a "1 room at this price" where there is a next-higher bucket.

Final edit: Yep, that's it. Still broke. Looking at 27 CHI-PDX on 8/11. Searching for 1 person, you get "1 room at this price" and the roomette shows $612. Searching for 2 people, you get "3 rooms at this price" and the roomette is priced at $737.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've noticed a several hundred dollar difference in prices between the Amtrak website and the Amtrak iPhone App for a 2-person reservation. I have a reservation from NYP-CHI on the LSL, continuing on the EB #27 from CHI to PDX. My original reservation was made sometime in January.

I frequently check the fares to see if they change. When I checked the prices on both sites a few days ago, I noticed the difference in fares. I called the 800 number and talked to an agent, I ended up with a totally different fare than either site. Then, for some reason, the bedrooms prices were cheaper than the roomette prices on the EB. They ended up changing my reservation, I got a $92 refund and switched from a Roomette to a Bedroom on the EB. (The website said no more roomettes were available at that time). The next day I rechecked the fares again, and the roomettes were now down to $243 and the bedrooms were $802. However, there is still a $369 difference in price between the website and the app for a 2-person reservation.

Yeah, I encountered the glitch when booking my return for this weekend. The price for two on the side for a roomette NYP-RVR was substantially above what I was quoted on the site, and the agent noted that I had the last room at the quoted price.

It's not a 'glitch' anymore. After it has been known by Amtrak, and not fixed, for this long a time, it ceases being a 'glitch'. It is intentional. IMHO.

Last edited by a moderator:
Truly deeply incompetent.

If it's beyond the skill and wit of Amtrak's IT people then at least put a warning on the website to call if booking for more than one sleeper passenger.

They have done neither. Speaks volumes....

Does anyone have the ear of Boardman? This is the worst, most inexcusable thing Amtrak has done in recent years and it needs to be fixed *immediately*.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back