Viewliner order awarded to CAF USA

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
These cars will replace diners and baggage cars that have been on the rails from the '50's (or earlier in some cases), allow for either more routes or more sleeping cars on existing routes, and allow for more revenue pax in the sleepers by getting the crew into dorm cars. Winners all around.

So is the relief simply that anything has been ordered or are these cars and/or supplier better than any car/supplier option available? Just trying to get a read on what is driving all the enthusiasm in response to this partially-funded release.
The relief is that ANYTHING has finally been ordered.

By now the Superliners and Viewliners are as old as quite a bit of the "Heritage" equipment that Amtrak started with. As has been pointed out already here, except for the sleepers, this equipment is replacing equipment that is 60 years old, or more. (Very little new passenger equipmetn was built in this country post 1950.)

Since it appears that ridership, particularly sleeper reidership, is capacity constrained on many lines, addition of this equipment could result in some increase in ridership simpy by its existance.

There is also the real hope that this is the start of a trend, as more equipment is a crying need before any realistic service expansion is possible.

From some of the issues raised here, inadequate dining car capacity is also an issue on many lines. Hopefull these cars will provide for more seating, and can we wish that the Baggage-Dorms include some space for a conductor's office so table space is not lost in the dining car due to the spreading out of the conductor's paperwork?

By now the Superliners and Viewliners are as old as quite a bit of the "Heritage" equipment that Amtrak started with.
I initially mis-read this as saying the Viewliners were now equally as old as the heritage equipment and I was like "what?!" But now I get it.

It's hard to even remember that a lot of Amtrak's equipment in 1971 was still relatively new. (Ok, I wasn't born yet, but when I started riding in 1978 or so, everything already seemed very old.) And we're still eating out of those same dining cars 40 years later!

I wish I could see what these cars looked like... I guess it's too much to wish for Amtrak someday running matched consists again.

Does Amtrak have any options to add anymore cars to the contract once the inital order is completed... Sorry my question mark key is not working!! :rolleyes:

Does Amtrak have any options to add anymore cars to the contract once the inital order is completed... Sorry my question mark key is not working!! :rolleyes:

I remember reading that they were going to keep an option for up to a total 350 new Viewliners if I recall correctly. But the additional cars were mostly going to be new coaches. The 25 new sleepers are a 50% increase and the baggage dorms will free up another eight or so roomettes for customer use on each train so it's not bad already.

Hopefull these cars will provide for more seating, and can we wish that the Baggage-Dorms include some space for a conductor's office so table space is not lost in the dining car due to the spreading out of the conductor's paperwork?
No office in the bag/dorm. Just linen closest, 9 roomettes, shower, 2 public toilets, and baggage racks.

I'm glad they finally got the order in!!! I hope they get them finished quickly, & get the baggage cars taken care of too!!!

Next-Superliners please!!!

...Maybe, *gets down on his worn out knees and prays to the Train God* they will outfit the baggage cars with bike racks and ski racks?

What a concept eh? Just think, how difficult could that be? It's not like they are designed to roll in modular units pre-filled with passengers luggage or something. Racks for storage, racks for bikes, and racks for skis.

Oh well, I'll keep dreamin'
Not sure about ski racks, but there will be bike racks in the new baggage cars.
It's certainly possible that they've changed the plans, but last I knew the plans did not call for bike racks. At least not in the bag/dorm cars.

Hopefull these cars will provide for more seating, and can we wish that the Baggage-Dorms include some space for a conductor's office so table space is not lost in the dining car due to the spreading out of the conductor's paperwork?
No office in the bag/dorm. Just linen closest, 9 roomettes, shower, 2 public toilets, and baggage racks.
Alan: does this mean they might do revenue rooms in the trans dorm like they do now on Superliners?The public bathrooms are what made me ask, normally passengers wouldnt be allowed into the baggage car nor the crew quarters, I know the cardinal doesnt have 9 OBS so perhaps this would provide a few extra rooms on the hard to get single level trains!

Alan: does this mean they might do revenue rooms in the trans dorm like they do now on Superliners?The public bathrooms are what made me ask, normally passengers wouldnt be allowed into the baggage car nor the crew quarters, I know the cardinal doesnt have 9 OBS so perhaps this would provide a few extra rooms on the hard to get single level trains!
I haven't heard anything about that possibilty for these cars. And unlike the Superliners, these dorm cars will run largely full on many of the trains, even if the Card won't use it to capacity. Additionally, unlike the Superliner cars, there really is no dividing line as it were between the crew section and the passenger section. On a Superliner, you have the bathroom and the stairs that in effect create a dividing line.

Glad to see this order has finally been placed. The baggage/dorm cars will free up capacity in existing sleepers. The existing baggage and dining cars have been run to death, so this will ensure the continuance of LD service. Adding bike racks to the baggage cars is also a good idea. The first cars are scheduled to run off the assembly line in 14-15 months. That seems pretty fast, but they will be building them based on existing designs. All in all some good news. Now let's get some new electric locomotives, cars for state-sponsored regional trains and a new breed of Superliners!
Whoops, this is 2010, so it's more like 26 months. Nobody told me there would be math on the test!

An e-mail message I received from NARP.

I'm pleased Amtrak is getting some new rolling stock.

I prefer Viewliner sleepers as I'm on the East Coast and usually travel in a sleeper.

Perhaps there are Superliner cars being reconstructed at Beech Grove to improve that fleet.

I'm also happy the new cars will be manufactured in the USA!!

Amtrak Purchases 130 New Single-Level Passenger Railcars

Amtrak today revealed the implementation of the first step in its long term fleet renewal plan, announcing the purchase of 130 new single-level railcars for the long distance network.

Amtrak President & CEO Joseph Boardman revealed that the 130 single-level passenger rail cars will be similar to the popular Viewliner model. Amtrak will get 25 sleeping cars, 25 diners, 55 baggage cars, and 25 baggage/dormitory cars, primarily for use on long-distance routes.

It's certainly possible that they've changed the plans, but last I knew the plans did not call for bike racks. At least not in the bag/dorm cars.
If the PR people have the story correct, it looks like bike racks are included with at least the full baggage cars. Considering how cheap it would be to add bike racks with the original build, it makes sense.

From the Amtrak press release:

...Passengers will experience many improvements with the new equipment including: modern interiors with better layouts; better lighting and more efficient air conditioning and heating systems; additional outlets to power personal electronic devices; bicycle racks in the baggage cars; as well as improved accessibility for passengers with disabilities.

You know what I like? A baggage-dorm can easily be converted into a full sleeper car if they have sufficient Viewliner sleeper modules. As far as I'm concerned, those 25 baggage-dorm cars are all stealth sleepers if needed.

May have missed this, but saw nothing in reference to new lounge cars. Are they now considered unnecessary in modern train consists?

May have missed this, but saw nothing in reference to new lounge cars. Are they now considered unnecessary in modern train consists?

No, but the existing lounges aren't in desperate need of replacement like the diners and the bags.
Are you referring to existing Amfleet equipment? Not exactly my idea of an acceptable long distance lounge car.

The sightseer superliner loungers were, in my opinion, a real step forward. What better use of the 'viewliner' design than a lounge car?

It's true that no new/additional lounge cars were included in this order. Neither were any coach cars. I have not seen anything indicating lounge cars (or coach cars or additional sleeping cars, etc) will NOT be included in any future orders. As others have indicated, this order was basically about addressing the most critical needs in the single-level fleet.

The sightseer superliner loungers were, in my opinion, a real step forward.
I'm sure that they are, but you'll never see them on a single level LD train.

What better use of the 'viewliner' design than a lounge car?
Replacement of 60+ year old equipment?
What train is consider a single level LD train? Are these all coaches or is there a sleeper in the bunch?

Single level trains are the ones that operate into/through New York Penn station plus some of the Midwest trains, though they do want to get Bilevel California-style cars on those routes out of Chicago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back