Viewliner II Part 2: Dining Car Production, Delivery, Speculation

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So after this delivery, Dover, Frankfort, And Albany will be the only remaining diners. Are they going to bother with them, Thirdrail?
Why wouldn't they??
There was talk of them skipping a few and moving on to the bag-dorms, because they don’t really need more diners at this point.
Where did you hear this talk outside of the echo chamber here? [emoji57]
Thirdrail said otherwise, I'm not going to throw that out as "part of the echo chamber."
I'm not aware of any plan to abandon the last three diners and I think you're mixing the message I sent. I assume you are referring to this:

The last three diners will not be out for a while, but they are still coming before any bag-dorms or sleepers.

Sorry. Thank you for clarifying.

I just got off 449(19) having ridden BOS -》SPG. Walking from the station to get to my coach seat, I was surprised to see 8420 (Providence) bringing up the markers. I figured that's a super-efficient means of prevent lowly coach passengers from the baretable first class lounge. I was even more suprised to see the in-service V-II diner in its proper plce in front of the two sleepers with napkins and flatware set up for four at each table. Of course, I forgot the name and number before I got to my seat. I'll be on 448 CHI - SPG in 3 weeks and I'll get a better look as I walk through to the lounge car to get some real microwaved food.
Sorry for being off-topic, but how's SPG doing?

Sorry for being off-topic, but how's SPG doing?
The refurbed station looks great. There's not as many vendors as could be there, but there's a Dunkin Donuts, Subway, and a convenience store. Unfortunately, Amtrak STILL hasn't moved into the new quarters. Go figure. It also looks as if there's some construction going on for a couple platforms, but whether it's elevator installation and/or stairwells, I couldn't tell.

Last edited by a moderator:
Special move today to the CAF plant in Elmira, NY to pick up three diners and a bag-dorm according to someone in the know on another forum.

It's a good thing you posted this. If you read the thread, I posted the direct date and somehow, people were scrambling on the wrong week! It is back to signs, Palmetto.

I would like to remind everyone that these moves will take place overnight. This is due to track work. The only daylight moves will occur on 448 from ALB-BOS (if it actually show up during the daylight
default_smile.png
) and on 97(28). That's you, MGL and Penny. You're our best shots for pictures.

I think your saying the new car with be on the Silver Meteor this Saturday. It that's true I might try to catch it further north.

Are there any reports that the reportedly four cars have arrived at ALB?

As inferred at other postings, to get 'em on down to Miami, it will be "sport".

I'm at a loss to understand why the cars first must move to BOS on 448 (no ALB yard engine job for second trick?) rather than simply adding them to 449 for CHI. From CHI, they will move to WAS on 30 or 50 and eventually be added to 97 and off to Miami.

From there, they have to "soak up the sun" for likely a month while One Mass decides where to assign them (50-51, Cardinal, providing F&B - one LSA, cash free - for all on the train).

I'm fairly certain the Bag-Dorm was released for training Mechanical and On-Board employees. Likely it will "make rounds" to BOS, CHI, and NOL for same.

This is the thing I keep repeating that most of you don't understand....Do we have the manpower at this facility? Do we have the equipment.
I guess where I remain at a loss is why must delivered cars first make a trip to BOS "over the Hills burning up gas" when they will have to be added to one consist or the other to start their journey to HIA via CHI. Again, the only thing coming to my mind is that there is no Second Trick Yard Engine @ ALB.
While I guess this is outside Third Rail's "Sunnyside Beat", even if such, he likely can affirm if this be the case.

Are there any reports that the reportedly four cars have arrived at ALB?

They've arrived, been looked over and two of them are on 448(24) headed to BOS. The other two follow tomorrow.

From there, they have to "soak up the sun" for likely a month while One Mass decides where to assign them (50-51, Cardinal, providing F&B - one LSA, cash free - for all on the train).

I'm fairly certain the Bag-Dorm was released for training Mechanical and On-Board employees. Likely it will "make rounds" to BOS, CHI, and NOL for same.

You're probably correct. Since this will be the first form of a VIEW II sleeping accommodation, it will probably make the grand tour. Hopefully, it will make the eventual introduction of the sleepers easier.

I guess where I remain at a loss is why must delivered cars first make a trip to BOS "over the Hills burning up gas" when they will have to be added to one consist or the other to start their journey to HIA via CHI. Again, the only thing coming to my mind is that there is no Second Trick Yard Engine @ ALB.
While I guess this is outside Third Rail's "Sunnyside Beat", even if such, he likely can affirm if this be the case.

ALbany has 24/7 yard crew coverage. It is quicker and easier to make the move with single level equipment. While to the route to BOS may have more mountains, it is a scant 200 miles from ALB-BOS, then a quick 457 miles from BOS-WAS, pulled by an electric engine

Going west, it is 818 miles from ALB-CHI and 780 from CHI-WAS. The trip is almost 1000 miles longer and uses diesels on all legs. Talk about "burning up gas!"

Logistically, if you go through CHI, you're pressuring them to make the same day swap between 449 and 30 or delay the shipment by one day. Additionally, pointing is an issue since the cars would HAVE to go against the baggage car since they are single level equipment and it won't mix with the Superliner equipment without the transdorm.

When you ship them to BOS, they have time to assemble them, keep them over night and travel on 65 to WAS, where they can make an easy, same day connection to 97, with minimal storage in WAS.

That new rail-car smell is refreshing. The bag-dorm rooms are very nice. They are going to put the Viewliner I rooms to shame.
That would be nice, no rattling, doors that stay close, but the location of the bathroom will be a issue.
The great bathroom debate will be restarting in 5-4-3.....
People can and will have to get over the bathrooms. The concept has worked all this time on the Superliners. The new debate will be the room door locks.

That new rail-car smell is refreshing. The bag-dorm rooms are very nice. They are going to put the Viewliner I rooms to shame.
That would be nice, no rattling, doors that stay close, but the location of the bathroom will be a issue.
The great bathroom debate will be restarting in 5-4-3.....
People can and will have to get over the bathrooms. The concept has worked all this time on the Superliners. The new debate will be the room door locks.
No. Stupid decisions will always make for great fodder for righteous debates. That will be true for as long as there are any VLII sleepers remaining in service (let's pray it will not be for that long).

I'm confused about the "as long as there are any VLII sleepers remaining in service (let's pray it will not be for that long)" comment. Seeing as how the first one hasn't been delivered yet, and these cars are supposed to have 30+ year lifespans, that comment is just...odd.

Amtrak can’t win with toilet location on view liners. In the room, oh the room is filthy because the train hit a switch at 79 mph on csx and the adjacent chair got a spray that was never cleaned. And what to do with 2 in a room . . . Put the toilet at the end of the hall, oh no, I have to get up and go use the toilet down the hall . . . Which imho is a clueless response on herd because most of us know about superliners.

IMHO moans about problem with toilet at the end of the hall instead of in a cramped closet are worthy of being ignored. Life will go on, and maybe one or two will refuse to ride in Roomettes in a huff. That's life and it will go on.

Reasonable decisions also do lead often to stupid debates
default_ph34r.png
It all depends on ones vantage point I suppose
default_unsure.png

Back