Viewable Sports Stadiums while on board

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
In Norfolk you can see Harbor Park (the Norfolk Tide stadium). The station is located in a stadium parking lot.

A TwoFer:

Cleveland Cavaliers at Quicken Loans Arena

Cleveland Indians at Progressive Field

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.4959458,-81.6853873,17z
A slight correction here since it would be difficult to see these venues from an Amtrak train today. Amtrak station is directly across from Browns First Energy Field but Quicken Loans Arena and Progressive Field are quite a distance from the Amtrak line. Now if we were riding on the former tracks into the Terminal Tower that would be possible.... except at that time the baseball and football teams played in Cleveland Stadium (which of course would have been next to Amtrak along the lake.. :p

You can't forget the most obvious one - but you can't see it from the train as it's right above your head. Madison Square Garden was built above NYP!
Gives me the chills just thinking about it. Arguably "the most famous arena in the world". If only they could restore Penn Station to its former glory prior to the original station being torn down. Would be amazing if the current Penn Station was more like Grand Central Terminal. But maybe the current underground format is what allows the Madison Square Garden to exist right above NYP.

A TwoFer:

Cleveland Cavaliers at Quicken Loans Arena

Cleveland Indians at Progressive Field

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.4959458,-81.6853873,17z
A slight correction here since it would be difficult to see these venues from an Amtrak train today. Amtrak station is directly across from Browns First Energy Field but Quicken Loans Arena and Progressive Field are quite a distance from the Amtrak line. Now if we were riding on the former tracks into the Terminal Tower that would be possible.... except at that time the baseball and football teams played in Cleveland Stadium (which of course would have been next to Amtrak along the lake.. :p
Oops, my bad memory and bad Googling. Thanks for the correction.

On the Michigan Service trains, in Kalamazoo, one passes right across the street from Waldo Stadium, home of the Western Michigan University "Hustling Broncos" football team. Usually pretty easy to see, on the south side.

It wasn't on your list but on the Texas Eagle between CHI and SAS you pass White Sox Stadium, ( don't know the current Title Sponsors Names),in STL Busch Stadium where the Cardinals Play Baseball,(can't see the Dome where the Rams play from the Train), the Dome where the St Louis Blues play Hockey is right next to the Intermodel Station, and in Arlington, Texas (between Dallas and Ft Worth)you have the Baseball Stadium where the Rangers play baseball and the Mother Ship AT&T Stadium aka Jerry World where the Cowboys perform.

Once you reach San Antonio ( it will be dark) you'll pass the AT&T Arena where the NBA Champion Spurs play and right next to the Sunset Station is the Alamo Dome where the Spurs used to play and Pro and College Football and Baseball games areplayed.
Well, let's see.....going south out of Chicago on LSL (and others) you see Soldier Field (Chicago Bears) a few blocks away, then U.S. Cellular (White Sox).

Pittsburgh on the Cap you pass right by the Pirates stadium.

I want to say that the dome in Syracuse is viewable on the LSL. You will also pass the Cleveland Browns stadium right by the station. The Indians and Caveliers arenas are also downtown, but not sure that you'll catch a glimpse. Similarly, the Milwaukee Bucks play nearby that city's station, but it's out of view. However , the Empire Builder does pass directly by Miller Park, home of the Brewers. Of course, at the end of the line (and on the Coast Starlight) the Mariners and Seahawks stadiums are near King Street station in Seattle.
Doesn't the Cap pass the football stadium, not baseball, in Pittsburgh?

I don't know about the football stadium there. And you could walk to the old hockey arena easily from the station. But it definitely passes right by PNC (I think it is called) and the beautiful yellow bridge where the Pirates play.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I saw the Rochester, NY minor league field from the Lake Shore Limited last week as we pulled through

I don't think you can see United Center from Amtrak -it's a couple miles west of Union - unless it's from the south on viaducts but the medical district (Rush, VA, Cook County and UIC Hospitals) would block it.

Soldier Field would be visible from the CONO, Illini and Saluki as it turns from/onto the Air Line.

I don't know about the football stadium there. And you could walk to the old hockey arena easily from the station. But it definitely passes right by PNC (I think it is called) and the beautiful yellow bridge where the Pirates play.
You can also walk to the new hockey arena in Pittsburgh (Consol Energy Center) as it's across the street from the site of the old Civic Arena.

While you can't see Bryant-Denny Stadium from the Crescent you can definitely see the Alabama football facility as the train runs right behind it.

The Delta Airlines Arena (now the Energy Solutions Arena) in Salt Lake City where the NBA Utah Jazz play is 3 blocks east of the CZ line. Having only been through there once on a train late enough to pass through in daylight, I don't recall if the Arena is visible from the North(East) side of the CZ.

I don't think you can see United Center from Amtrak -it's a couple miles west of Union - unless it's from the south on viaducts but the medical district (Rush, VA, Cook County and UIC Hospitals) would block it.
You won't see it from any train coming out the south end of Union Station, but train heading up towards Milwaukee, including the EB, certainly do pass you just blocks to the north, with a clear view from the elevated roadbed and viaducts on which Amtrak travels.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back