Veltri Interlocking near Mystic CT?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hadn't heard of that project. I do know there's another universal interlocking currently under construction just east of the Clinton, CT Shore Line East station. I believe these projects are to provide more flexibility once full construction on the Old Saybrook-Old Lyme Connecticut River Bridge replacement starts next year.

Y'all in the know about Amtrak NEC, what do you know and can share about the FY23 project for constructing an universal interlocking called VELTRI somewhere around Mystic CT?

Thanks.
I don’t know about VELTRI, but it looks like you’ve blended in to southern living. 😂

Y'all in the know about Amtrak NEC, what do you know and can share about the FY23 project for constructing an universal interlocking called VELTRI somewhere around Mystic CT?

Thanks.
You probably found the same limited info I did at Document Library | Northeast Corridor Commission The PDF called "FY22-26 Capital Investment Plan" (not FY23-27), and the dashboard called "Explore FY23-27 CIP project data." Procurement start Oct. 2022, construction start October 2023, completion April 2025.

A track chart is at page 72 of https://www.amtrak.com/content/dam/...rak-Infrastructure-ALP-Appendix-B-FY21-26.pdf but it just shows a green rectangle at milepost 133 for the Veltri project (also called New Veltri, part of Mystic Project). The track chart does not show the new interlocking itself.

Originally this was part of NEC Future, up to Tier 1, back in 2017. Then they seem to have let much of the website die with bad links to "server failure." The Tier 1 and ROD can still be found on the Wayback Machine. But it says Tier 2 will be split into individual projects, and it seems it was. I didn't find any Tier 2 documents though. Nor at Connecticut DOT.

Yeah, thanks for the links some may say, so here for history are some quotes:

This project would design and install a new universal interlocking VELTRI at MP133 in Mystic, CT. Construction would include the installation of turn-outs, rail, ties, sub-grade, ballast, overhead catenary, signal transformers, signals cables, signal bridges, switch heater, switch machines, switch houses, instrument houses, and interlocking lighting. This new interlocking will be an Amtrak sole use asset.

This new interlocking will provide operating flexibility, improve reliability, allow for future maintenance outages and track possessions, and subdivide an 18-mile interlocking-to-interlocking segment into two shorter segments, allowing single track operation over a shorter distance during maintenance with less operational disruption. This will improve reliability.

Thanks.
Similar to this:

I hadn't heard of that project. I do know there's another universal interlocking currently under construction just east of the Clinton, CT Shore Line East station. I believe these projects are to provide more flexibility once full construction on the Old Saybrook-Old Lyme Connecticut River Bridge replacement starts next year.
They are supposed to do some work on Mystic Bridge in the distant future. Even without the work, there have been calls to close the gap between interlockings this territory. With traffic projected to increase, having an 18 mile gap between interlockings is problematic during an outage or disruption.

This will close the gap between High and Groton.

Back