Vegan Breakfasts?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My husband and I have booked a roomette for the first time on the Texas Eagle, Tucson to Chicago. In the past, we've gone coach and eaten mostly our own food. But since meals are included in the price of the roomette, we are planning to request vegan meals this time. I imagine we'll be eating lots of those Amy's burgers (sigh) for lunch and dinner, but what sort of vegan food do they offer for breakfast?? And if anyone has any words of advice re vegan meals on the train, I'd love to hear it. Thanks!!

The Continental breakfast is mostly vegan. Oatmeal w/raisins (or cold cereal), fresh fruit, bread and yogurt. So you could just skip

the yogurt although by no means should you even suggest to the server that they could skip bringing you the yogurt, since that

would mess up their inventory system. (Amtrak thinks it's more efficient to serve the yogurt and have it thrown away than to simply

save money by not serving it at all...but that's a topic for another thread.) That said, I can't actually guarantee that the oatmeal and

bread is strictly vegan...I would assume the oatmeal is, couldn't say about the bread. But at least you'd get oatmeal and fresh fruit.

Edit to add: The menu promises that soy milk is available, though I've never asked for it myself.

Last edited by a moderator:
Edit to add: The menu promises that soy milk is available, though I've never asked for it myself.
Yes there is soy milk available, but do check that is what was served. I allways get the soy, but sometimes it takes a second try to get the right product place on your table.

No big deal, but it happens more than it needs to.

The Continental breakfast is mostly vegan. Oatmeal w/raisins (or cold cereal), fresh fruit, bread and yogurt. So you could just skip

the yogurt although by no means should you even suggest to the server that they could skip bringing you the yogurt, since that

would mess up their inventory system. (Amtrak thinks it's more efficient to serve the yogurt and have it thrown away than to simply

save money by not serving it at all...but that's a topic for another thread.) That said, I can't actually guarantee that the oatmeal and

bread is strictly vegan...I would assume the oatmeal is, couldn't say about the bread. But at least you'd get oatmeal and fresh fruit.

And make sure it was cooked/prepared without any milk added before serving...

Also remember that special meals (like Vegan meals) must be requested 3 days in advance!!
excl.gif
You can't just show up at the station at boarding time and say "I'd like a Vegan meal"!

Thank you, everyone. If they've got oatmeal, fresh fruit and soymilk, we will be very happy campers indeed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back