Using the Rail Trip Planner on Amtrak's Website

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

43817891.jpg

Here is the Amtrak website. Really, you don't have to pay attention to what's at the right hand and bottom sides of the homepage. We are going to deal with the Rail Trip Planner. Click on Reservations.

57141257.jpg

Then enter the departing city. In this example, I put in a station in the Detroit area, which is Dearborn.

51318431.jpg

Enter the arrival city. Here I put in Chicago Union Station as "Union Station, IL."

47094469.jpg

Then select the month and day you will be going. I selected 6/16 and 6/18 because we are on vacation then.

70297326.jpg

Select the time. Since I would leave early I would pick 6:00 in the morning.

If you want, choose the number of passengers and click Next.

95620819.jpg

And it says in red text "Problem with Station or City Name: We found more than one station that matches the text you entered. Please select your desired station from the drop-down list, or click the 'Station List' link and select a station from the list provided. Then, please resubmit." The reason for that is because Amtrak isn't always up to date on the names of most larger stations, hence it dosen't list Chicago Union Station as "Union Station, IL." So from the drop down list, we select Chicago Union Station and click Next.

69610604.jpg

The reason why I chose Dearborn and Chicago Union Station is because the Wolverine serves these cities and runs 6 daily trains. For the departing train, you can choose the first option, which is to take Wolverine train #351, #2 is train #353 which is the same Wolverine and #3 is #355 still Wolverine. The cost of all three is $29 which is very cheap. For the return train, first option is #350 which costs $29 too. #2 and #3 are #352 and #354 respectively. Both cost $41, a little more expensive. For all 6, the only amenity is a Cafe Car, which may be either a Horizon Fleet or an Amfleet I. You can only upgrade on #350 and #355. For the 4 remaining, it's all sold out but not the reserved coach seat.

Then select the hotel, rental car and activity (optional). Type in your name and (optional) your Amtrak Guest Rewards number.

91929553.jpg

Type in your phone and credit card numbers as well as your email. Then click Purchase, print out the ticket, wait for your departing date and on that date pack your suitcases, head down to the station and all aboard! So here you go, how to book a rail trip on Amtrak's website.

Last edited by a moderator:
43817891.jpg
Very nice display. Computers sure can be useful especially late at night when most companies are shut down for the day. I just want to point out that Amtrak's computer can lead you astray quite literally. Try and book a trip to San Diego or Seattle from NOL on a day the Sunset doesn't run and you will wind up in Washington or Chicago, or both! The computer doesn't tell you to wait a day or two and you can take a more direct routing~ it is doing what it is designed to do~ sell tickets. I don't mind traveling all over the country by train but there are people who are and paying dearly for it as opposed to more direct routings that the computer could be programmed to give as options instead.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very nice display. Computers sure can be useful especially late at night when most companies are shut down for the day. I just want to point out that Amtrak's computer can lead you astray quite literally. Try and book a trip to San Diego or Seattle from NOL on a day the Sunset doesn't run and you will wind up in Washington or Chicago, or both! The computer doesn't tell you to wait a day or two and you can take a more direct routing~ it is doing what it is designed to do~ sell tickets. I don't mind traveling all over the country by train but there are people who are and paying dearly for it as opposed to more direct routings that the computer could be programmed to give as options instead.
On the other hand, http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff294/r...pg?t=1244556169 looks like a NICE 2 zone trip ;)

Hi mtburb. Welcome to the forum. I think if you spend some time here, you'll see that probably 98% of us are familiar with the online reservation system. But it's a nice contribution to folks lurking...

On the other hand, http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff294/r...pg?t=1244556169 looks like a NICE 2 zone trip ;)
A couple of foggy thoughts here~ someone who is oblivious to how Amtrak works could spend extra days and extra hundreds to get to the same place. Sure, I'm game for a two zone AGR but 99% of the traveling public doesn't even know what AGR means let alone have the points to do so. Then...you have to contend with whatever the AGR computer kicks up as a routing. Believe me, I've seen some weird ones. I had one trip planned to Boston (sleeper from NOL to NYP and B/C to BOS) and they wanted me to get off in Charlottsville and catch the Cardinal to get to NYP in coach. As much as I squawked about losing my sleeper accommodation in Virginia the agent insisted that this was "all" they could do. I politely changed my mind, hung up, and called back and got my room all the way to NYP with not even a whimper from AGR. Go figure...

The routing shown on you photobucket link could not be obtained through the AGR members reservation form but it could be using the general reservation page. Can you really go as your routing shows, from zone 2 through zone 1 then onto zone 3 as a 2 zone trip?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back