Using a netbook or IPOD touch on the train

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I just might give that SHRINK a try!!!! I might be middle aged and not so tech savy, but I can follow directions. (However, I bought an IMAC a year ago and still haven't learned how to use everything, so used to a PC, got the book IMAC for dummies but no to time sit and figure it out, at least on the netbook, I just have to get used to Windows 7) I still have a few weeks before the trip so if I get stuck, I can ask my kids for help! Thanks for the suggestion! SS
Another option is to download itunes for free (if you haven't already) and you can purchase copies of tv shows, and movies. I realize its not the perfect option, but should be easy.

Good luck with you imac... I made the PC to Mac switch several years ago and can't imagine not having mac come easy but all of us are different!

Try "MacThe Ripper" or "SkySoft".

I used to bring my laptop and all its fixings on the train. Then I realized, for what I really did with it, my new WiFi-only iPad works just fine.

I think I just might give that SHRINK a try!!!! I might be middle aged and not so tech savy, but I can follow directions. (However, I bought an IMAC a year ago and still haven't learned how to use everything, so used to a PC, got the book IMAC for dummies but no to time sit and figure it out, at least on the netbook, I just have to get used to Windows 7) I still have a few weeks before the trip so if I get stuck, I can ask my kids for help! Thanks for the suggestion! SS
I am the same way. I have tried using a mac and didn't see what was worth paying almost double for. Whenever I have to use OS X I end up wishing I was using Windows or even Ubuntu.

I would strongly recommend a netbook or laptop with Verizon MiFi card which combines a wireless modem with a wireless hotspot. For the less than tech literate, the MiFi essentially converts the Verzion cell phone signal to a wireless hotspot that your iPod touch, iPhone, netbook, or laptop can use. The wireless hotspot can be used by up to 5 devices so you and a friend can share the wireless connection. Sprint offers a MiFi too, but their network is weaker. The device can be purchased from Verizon at full price without a contract or nearly free with a long term contract.

On the Silver Meteor, I got great reception the whole time on the Verizon MiFi since the route parallels I-95 and all of its cell towers.
Concur with the Verizon MiFi option, it's pricey at $60 a month, but it does allow up to 5 connections when used in that mode. You can even "name" the hotspot "Joe's Amtrak Wireless" or "Joe's Empire Builder HotSpot". Good way to make friends in the lounge, let me tell ya!

The Verizon coverage is by far-and-away the best of ANY of the mobile providers.

I had to switch to the iPhone for work, and in over 7 years of having Verizon, I could count on one hand the number of "dropped calls" I had over that time period.

On the flip side, in the three months that I have had my iPhone (AT&T) not a single day has gone by where I haven't had a "dropped call".

The VERY DAY that Verizon offers the iPhone, I will switch back.

I would strongly recommend a netbook or laptop with Verizon MiFi card which combines a wireless modem with a wireless hotspot. For the less than tech literate, the MiFi essentially converts the Verzion cell phone signal to a wireless hotspot that your iPod touch, iPhone, netbook, or laptop can use. The wireless hotspot can be used by up to 5 devices so you and a friend can share the wireless connection. Sprint offers a MiFi too, but their network is weaker. The device can be purchased from Verizon at full price without a contract or nearly free with a long term contract.

On the Silver Meteor, I got great reception the whole time on the Verizon MiFi since the route parallels I-95 and all of its cell towers.
Concur with the Verizon MiFi option, it's pricey at $60 a month, but it does allow up to 5 connections when used in that mode. You can even "name" the hotspot "Joe's Amtrak Wireless" or "Joe's Empire Builder HotSpot". Good way to make friends in the lounge, let me tell ya!

The Verizon coverage is by far-and-away the best of ANY of the mobile providers.

I had to switch to the iPhone for work, and in over 7 years of having Verizon, I could count on one hand the number of "dropped calls" I had over that time period.

On the flip side, in the three months that I have had my iPhone (AT&T) not a single day has gone by where I haven't had a "dropped call".

The VERY DAY that Verizon offers the iPhone, I will switch back.
You might be waiting for a very long time....latest rumor is that verizon might pass on the iPhone completely as the droid phones have been pretty successful. Only time will tell!

I haven't had a dropped call on my iPhone 3G since the last time I was in NYC. My phone tends to drop calls all over NYC but seems to do fine in New England. Not sure why.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back