User Manual for Amsnag?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AmtrakPDX

Train Attendant
I'm getting back into rail travel and just looked into Amsnag. It 'seems' like a very useful tool but I'm uncertain how to interact with it. I did create an account and notified it of a trip I want to take; SAC-CHI. I received a 'History Fare' email this morning that showed prices for the bedroom I wanted dropping as low as $787 (from $1992). What do I do now? When I logon to amtrak.com it still shows the $1992 prices for the day I want to leave...

TIA for your help!!

Screen Shot 2018-09-03 at 3.38.11 PM.png

I am sorry I don't have specific answers, as I have only viewed Amsnag a couple times. It seemed simple to find alternate dates with lowest fares, if any were available.

But I would suggest that, for travel on October 3, 2018, you should go ahead and buy your tickets now at the high price because that is a popular train and it might sell out. If the price happens to go down over the next month, you may call to have your reservation modified to the lower price and receive a refund for 75% of the difference.

And on those sold out days, it still may be possible to get bedrooms from, for example, Sacramento to Denver, or Denver to Chicago, if you willing to sleep one of the two nights in coach on your preferred departure date.

If you're new to AmSnag, I'd hold off on the notification feature and just use the on-demand pages and plug in your information as little or as often as you desire. Generally speaking, daily should work, but on routes that become 'busy' at certain times, two or three times a day might be more helpful.

Also, since Amtrak uses the travel industry practice of yield management, fares can often fluctuate based on ticket sales on same train. (Other threads here discuss the concept of "buckets" and how they are used to determine ticket prices.) I've also noticed that using the notification feature of AmSnag is a little like using the shopping bots for Amazon: by the time you receive the notification that a fare has gone down or is at your target price, in reality it has already gone up by the time you attempt to book it.

And on those sold out days, it still may be possible to get bedrooms from, for example, Sacramento to Denver, or Denver to Chicago, if you willing to sleep one of the two nights in coach on your preferred departure date.
One need not necessarily spend nights in coach on trains with sold out sleepers between ticketed points as long as you're willing to be patient and do a little digging. What many new and returning Amtrak passengers don't realize is that when city pairs are entered into the reservation system, the availability for sleepers is searched based on the same accommodation location and type for the entire trip. If any part of the trip doesn't have an accommodation for the entire city pair, the result returned is "Sold Out", even if there is an available accommodation which might be literally next door for a part of the trip.

To put it in simpler terms, it's like a hotel which is sold out of single bed rooms for the duration of a stay, but has such a room available for half of the stay and a room with two beds for the rest of the stay. The only issue is in getting the guest to be willing to change rooms in the middle of the stay. (The difference between the hotels and Amtrak is that room assignments for hotels are generally not made until the expected date of arrival, whereas Amtrak's room assignments are made at the time of reservation.)

So to use the example which Ronbo provided above, October 10th might not be sold out at all between SAC and CHI, but only sold out of the same room between that city pair. (To clarify for the OP, AmSnag uses the same information that is publicly available to passengers to determine availability and pricing.) So, as an example, there may be a bedroom available in Car 632 from Sacramento to Denver in Room A and another bedroom available in Car 633 in Room C from Denver to Sacramento Chicago. The passenger could book that routing themselves (assuming they knew it existed) as a split ticket, but it's better to have agent assistance in order to verify availability and to combine on a single ticket if possible with the lowest possible pricing.

Experienced agents (at 800/USA-RAIL) can look at the inventory in several ways and can determine if a train is completely sold out for the routing or just sold out of certain types between certain points. The really helpful agents will work six ways to Sunday to get you the accommodation type you want as close as possible to each other as long as it's available, or at least make sure you get to travel in a sleeper for all of your trip as long as it's possible, by combining room types. [A cautionary note: an inexperienced or disinterested agent will simply tell you the train is sold out for the city pairs. Just call back and try again with another agent.]

As always with anything Amtrak (or travel-related for that matter), it helps to be as flexible as possible: moneywise, time-wise, and experience-wise.

[Edited for clarity with original erroneous material in strikeout.]

Last edited by a moderator:
Last year, I had to change my plans for getting from LAX to CHI about a week before traveling.

As expected at that late date, there were no rooms of any kind LAX-CHI on #4, #14 to #6(from EMY), or #422 (Sunset/Texas Eagle). I ended up with a roomette (my usual accomodation) LAX-ALP (Alpine TX), then to the family room ALP-DAL, and back to another roomette DAL-CHI.

Since I could not travel on another date, I simply 'played' with the Amtrak booking system to see how far I could get before no rooms were available. I first tried LAX-DAL and came up empty. Then LAX-FTW, LAX-SAS, then LAX-ELP which had a room. I tried LAX-ALP and found it was still available, but not to SAS. I intentionally did not book it just yet as I had to find out what would work the rest of the way, starting with ALP- ? and found the family room was open to DAL, then found a roomette DAL-CHI, fortunately in the 422 sleeper. From DAL to CHI, a room in the Eagle section (#22) was also available but I preferred the #422 sleeper. Once I knew I could do the trip, I went ahead and booked it as a 'multi-city' ticket. The big 'trick' is knowing what date you'll arrive & depart when changing rooms. For me, it was a night in each room, leaving LAX on Friday, ALP on Saturday, and DAL on Sunday.

Other than the added hassle of packing up an moving rooms, it wasn't as difficult as I expected. The good thing is I got to try the Family room, which was the final Superliner accomodation I hadn't been in, after more than 35 years of riding in Superliners.

The AmSnag fare alert feature can be pretty glitchy and honestly somewhat useless. Multiple times, I've gotten strings of emails letting me know that an itinerary went from sold out to the lowest bucket to the highest bucket to sold out again in the span of literally one second. There have also been cases where the price changed and it never let me know. Because of this, I've really given up on AmSnag alerts. I honestly recommend you just check the fares yourself.

The AmSnag fare alert feature can be pretty glitchy and honestly somewhat useless. Multiple times, I've gotten strings of emails letting me know that an itinerary went from sold out to the lowest bucket to the highest bucket to sold out again in the span of literally one second. There have also been cases where the price changed and it never let me know. Because of this, I've really given up on AmSnag alerts. I honestly recommend you just check the fares yourself.
I think you are right. It's a complicated program and until I feel like digging into it, I'm shutting it down.

I think you are right. It's a complicated program and until I feel like digging into it, I'm shutting it down.
I'm sorry to go off on AmSnag and criticize your hard work. Thank you for creating and maintaining a site that has been an invaluable tool for me whenever I'm booking or looking into booking Amtrak travel.
default_smile.png

Back