Union Pacific business train at Chicago Ogilvie station

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I arrived at Ogilvie station shortly after 9:30am today, on my Metra/UP Northwest train, a Union Pacific business train was parked on the other track for the same platform. Four or five cars, including two dome cars and an open-platform observation car, very clean and shiny.

Alas, I was in a hurry to get to work and so didn't take any pictures. I also don't recall exactly which platform it was on, but it was one of the lowest-numbered platforms (west, close to Clinton St.) while not the westernmost/lowest-numbered platform.

If what you're talking about is the UP OLS (Operation Life Saver) Special, here's a YouTube video by Metracab123 that caught it rolling a couple of times:

Last edited by a moderator:
Amtrak used to have an F40 painted with Operation Lifesaver titles. IIRC, it was the #231. When Amtrak retired the F40 fleet, some kid (on the west coast, I think), started a private fundraising drive which got the money to buy the engine before it went to the scrapyard, and had it donated to a museum.

Don't know the status of the engine now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Amtrak used to have an F40 painted with Operation Lifesaver titles. IIRC, it was the #231. When Amtrak retired the F40 fleet, some kid (on the west coast, I think), started a private fundraising drive which got the money to buy the engine before it went to the scrapyard, and had it donated to a museum.

2-year-old photo

Daylight colors, located in Portland, to use as helper for 4449, couldn't find any more current info.

2-year-old photo

Daylight colors, located in Portland, to use as helper for 4449, couldn't find any more current info.
here's another photo of it in the shop next to 4449. They are getting ready to tear apart the broken turbocharger.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=245630

Back