Turboliners still for sale

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don;t know, I remember watching videos of those things crawl from one station and into the next, barely topping out in between stops.
Yep. That's why one would really need to use these for LD, non-stop, runs. Allow them to (painfully slowly) reach their max speed, and then allow them to steadily cruise at that speed for a long time.
... I can't think of a line in the US that allows for a train with limited acceleration to move at "high speed" with any frequency. I'm sure they exist, but I don't know any of them on Amtrak.

The Turboliners move under their own power. They do not "work". There is a difference.
If they didn't work, then they wouldn't have gotten me from New York City to Albany on-time! And they certainly wouldn't have served from 1976 until the 2000's.
I got a friend with a Model T Ford. Pretty reliable car in its day. Wanna drive it New York to California on a deadline?

The problem is the rebuilds. They were badly done.

... I can't think of a line in the US that allows for a train with limited acceleration to move at "high speed" with any frequency. I'm sure they exist, but I don't know any of them on Amtrak.

You could use them on certain routes, but you'd have to cut out most of the non-terminal stops. Not to mention, I don't think you'd find a LD route that wouldn't require sleepers. The Palmetto being the exception, however when one considers the Silver Palm, well--

Like I said, the proposed express from Albany to NYC would've been ideal. A two hour run on a route with a lot of 90 - 110 mph running is a good place for the Turbos.

How does one become a "task force member" anyway? Sounds like you don't have to produce any real results, just write reports making a lot of false promises. Not a bad gig!
Political appointment.

My understanding is the fabulous link over the hook system is used between TGV power car and rest of the train. I was once told that use of the AAR style coupler would tranmit too much vibration to the passenger compartment. To avoid further argument my thouths on that rationale I will keep to myself.
The current air reservoir and valve system is well advanced from Westinghouse's original. Single air lines work quite well, thank you.
Must be daily incidents of the hook "popping off" on TGVs then, seeing as those trains that travel in safety at up to 200mph still use 19th century devices! Oh no, there isn't..... :lol:

As for single pipe air systems, they are fine if you want your train to run out of brake and run away.

Funny idea of "safety" you have.

Coming to think of it, steel wheel on steel rail also seems to be a fine 19th century technology that is doing quite well in the 21st, thank you. I believe that an argument that depends on something being a 19th century technology for disparaging it, without any further elaboration, is usually a spurious one and perhaps says more about the maker of the argument than the subject being argued. Not that I am specifically suggesting that anyone here would make or does make such an argument though. :lol:

The problem isn't with "fine" 19th century technology. It is static 19th century technology. Technology that has failed to improve over the 100+ years.

For example, 2010 tires are vastly superior to 1890 tires. And I am pretty happy they are.

One would think, and one should wonder why, "steel wheel on steel rail " railroad technology has failed to improve steadily? Why, today, are derailments even still possible? Why haven't train braking systems improved all that much? Why can't trains stop better today, other than for apathy?

The problem isn't with "fine" 19th century technology. It is static 19th century technology. Technology that has failed to improve over the 100+ years.
For example, 2010 tires are vastly superior to 1890 tires. And I am pretty happy they are.

One would think, and one should wonder why, "steel wheel on steel rail " railroad technology has failed to improve steadily? Why, today, are derailments even still possible? Why haven't train braking systems improved all that much? Why can't trains stop better today, other than for apathy?

Despite Railroads still using same brake as stage coach, namely a block on wheel, it has improved , and distance for braking has been cuut in half in 50 years.

Superior dynamic brake, blended brake on passenger equipment. plus the added disk brakes on in addition to thread brakes, on passenger trains.

Correct, besides the Dynamic brakes on engines, Freight trains have not seen as much a difference, but even those now have load sensing valves, better airbrakes with faster recovery etc.

Why haven't train braking systems improved all that much? Why can't trains stop better today, other than for apathy?
If you were sat on a TGV or ICE when it went in full braking you would not say that. ICEs also have magnetic track brakes for even quicker stopping.

More practically, there is a limit of how much braking you can apply before the wheels lock up, same as with traction.

Saw this photo and it reminded me of the Turboliner discussion. If Amtrak is so concerned about fuel economy, why does it run trains like this?
http://railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=290362&nseq=2
first it allows the train to go the return direction without being turned saving time.

2nd the 2 engines run at 50% power each via the computer saving fuel.
Isn't that the Heartland Flyer?

It always runs like that so it doesn't have to turn around in Fort Worth. It still has to back into the ITC station.

Wouldn't a Cabbage work? And even if both P42s are running at 50% I somehow doubt the sum of fuel consumption is equal to 100% computer or not.

Wouldn't a Cabbage work? And even if both P42s are running at 50% I somehow doubt the sum of fuel consumption is equal to 100% computer or not.
The Heartland Flyer is the pride of Oklahoma. No cabbage for them. Only two P42's will do.

Seriously they need to get this train running into Kansas. Maybe even extend it down to Houston.

Saw this photo and it reminded me of the Turboliner discussion. If Amtrak is so concerned about fuel economy, why does it run trains like this?

Diesel engines use only fuel related to Horsepower to move the train, so even if you put two P42's at 4200 hp on train if it only takes 1200 hp to move train the engines will only produce 1200 hp.

with a Turbo however its just a big superheated wind tunnel running at 100% on both powercars at all times from idle to max power same fuel load.

but here is what I think about all these suggestions

deadhorsebeat2.gif
deadhorsebeat2.gif
deadhorsebeat2.gif
deadhorsebeat2.gif
deadhorsebeat2.gif
deadhorsebeat2.gif
deadhorsebeat2.gif
deadhorsebeat2.gif
deadhorsebeat2.gif

Diesel engines use only fuel related to Horsepower to move the train, so even if you put two P42's at 4200 hp on train if it only takes 1200 hp to move train the engines will only produce 1200 hp.

with a Turbo however its just a big superheated wind tunnel running at 100% on both powercars at all times from idle to max power same fuel load.

but here is what I think about all these suggestions

deadhorsebeat2.gif
deadhorsebeat2.gif
deadhorsebeat2.gif
deadhorsebeat2.gif
deadhorsebeat2.gif
deadhorsebeat2.gif
deadhorsebeat2.gif
deadhorsebeat2.gif
deadhorsebeat2.gif
Good one Dutch...but people can still day dream; sure beats waiting on an eastbound Sunset out of NOL or is that one of those horses too? I don't think I ever saw an answer to cutting off the dastardly fuel guzzlers and using the cars~ bad HVAC can be overridden by an auxiliary unit in the engine that replaces the turbo. Kinda like the steam generator days.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good one Dutch...but people can still day dream; sure beats waiting on an eastbound Sunset out of NOL or is that one of those horses too? I don't think I ever saw an answer to cutting off the dastardly fuel guzzlers and using the cars~ bad HVAC can be overridden by an auxiliary unit in the engine that replaces the turbo. Kinda like the steam generator days.
HVAC is not located in Engines, its located in cars and since StupidSteel miscalculated duct sizes and elliminated the return duct system, the cars are about 60% below the norm for AC and Airflow.

only a lot off $$$ can get the cars aceptable, far more than what refurbishing Amfleets will cost.

Last edited by a moderator:
HVAC is not located in Engines, its located in cars and since StupidSteel miscalculated duct sizes and elliminated the return duct system, the cars are about 60% below the norm for AC and Airflow.

only a lot off $$$ can get the cars aceptable, far more than what refurbishing Amfleets will cost.
I have to totally agree with you~ call the junque man~ QUICK~ before they throw stimulus money at it.

The reason for two engines on that train are fully explained in the thread. The good question I can't answer is why both engines are live, rather then one being hauled dead. You got me on that one.

I have to totally agree with you~ call the junque man~ QUICK~ before they throw stimulus money at it.
A real risk, you know. Joe Boardman has an affinity for those piles of crap.

HVAC is not located in Engines, its located in cars and since StupidSteel miscalculated duct sizes and elliminated the return duct system, the cars are about 60% below the norm for AC and Airflow.only a lot off $$$ can get the cars aceptable, far more than what refurbishing Amfleets will cost.
Just buy a few window a/c units at Sears! :)

HVAC is not located in Engines, its located in cars and since StupidSteel miscalculated duct sizes and elliminated the return duct system, the cars are about 60% below the norm for AC and Airflow.only a lot off $$$ can get the cars aceptable, far more than what refurbishing Amfleets will cost.
Just buy a few window a/c units at Sears! :)
Dyaenu.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back