Trying to Get Points and Ditch the eVoucher

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In early August, my wife and I took a paid trip on the Pacific Surfliner to attend the Ventura County Fair. I purchased the round trip Business Class ticket on line and was all set.

Shortly after the trip, I noticed our points had posted for the trip north but, nothing yet for the return. After waiting several weeks, I generated an online request for missing points. Today, I was on the phone with AGR getting some info about another matter. With that finished, I asked the representative to look into my missing points situation. She did and came back on the line saying my trip was cancelled and I was issued an eVoucher! Really, we WERE on the train for the return trip and I had no knowledge of the voucher. I just went back through old emails to that point and couldn't find any notification as such. I do recall on the return trip the conductor asking us if we were going to Chatsworth or somewhere else. I told him Chatsworth so figured he ID'd us and checked us in. I've had successful check-ins in the past without actually scanning my ticket so, didn't think anything of it. With that, the system figured we were "no shows" and generated the eVoucher.

Back with the AGR representative...she told us since the voucher was generated (aka refund) she couldn't post the points and transferred me to the "Refund Department". OK after several attempts to explain, and several periods on hold while that representative talked to supervisors, she told me the voucher was "zeroed out" and transferred me back to AGR to get the points.

Back again with AGR, different representative this time, I explained what I had just done with the Refund Department and was seeking to get the points as I preferred that rather than a voucher. Well, a couple of times on hold so she could talk to supervisors she came back a said she posted the points. When I asked about my wife, she didn't! Turns out, they put both of us on one voucher (she said there should have been separate vouchers for each of us) and, once again consulted with superiors. Well, my wife's points finally got posted and I was a happy camper.

Don't really know if 100 points each was worth the time but, I really didn't want to deal with a voucher (refund) on a future. Even with all the explaining, I will say that the several representatives I spoke with were professional and handled my case well.

Moral of the story: Even if it appears that the conductor checks you in, it might be worthwhile to double check. If this scenario would have occurred on our outbound leg of the trip, we might have been surprised to find out our reservations were cancelled for the return trip!

Same thing happened to us last spring in a trip to New York. Spent time on the phone with the reps convincing them we did take the trip and after a half hour of transfers, we did finally get the points. As you stated, make sure each time the conductor scans your ticket. I follow them around until I find one to double check, especially if you are in sleeper and your SCA supposedly reports you in to the conductor. :eek:

Funny now as many of us are "points whores" we'd rather have conductor VERIFY that we were on trip, than "get a free ride" cause they didn't lift our ticket.....

Funny now as many of us are "points whores" we'd rather have conductor VERIFY that we were on trip, than "get a free ride" cause they didn't lift our ticket.....
The only problem I see with taking the voucher and using it later (and get the points then) is if the orig trip was taken during a double or triple points time frame.

In early August, my wife and I took a paid trip on the Pacific Surfliner to attend the Ventura County Fair. I purchased the round trip Business Class ticket on line and was all set.

Shortly after the trip, I noticed our points had posted for the trip north but, nothing yet for the return. After waiting several weeks, I generated an online request for missing points. Today, I was on the phone with AGR getting some info about another matter. With that finished, I asked the representative to look into my missing points situation. She did and came back on the line saying my trip was cancelled and I was issued an eVoucher! Really, we WERE on the train for the return trip and I had no knowledge of the voucher. I just went back through old emails to that point and couldn't find any notification as such. I do recall on the return trip the conductor asking us if we were going to Chatsworth or somewhere else. I told him Chatsworth so figured he ID'd us and checked us in. I've had successful check-ins in the past without actually scanning my ticket so, didn't think anything of it. With that, the system figured we were "no shows" and generated the eVoucher.

Back with the AGR representative...she told us since the voucher was generated (aka refund) she couldn't post the points and transferred me to the "Refund Department". OK after several attempts to explain, and several periods on hold while that representative talked to supervisors, she told me the voucher was "zeroed out" and transferred me back to AGR to get the points.

Back again with AGR, different representative this time, I explained what I had just done with the Refund Department and was seeking to get the points as I preferred that rather than a voucher. Well, a couple of times on hold so she could talk to supervisors she came back a said she posted the points. When I asked about my wife, she didn't! Turns out, they put both of us on one voucher (she said there should have been separate vouchers for each of us) and, once again consulted with superiors. Well, my wife's points finally got posted and I was a happy camper.

Don't really know if 100 points each was worth the time but, I really didn't want to deal with a voucher (refund) on a future. Even with all the explaining, I will say that the several representatives I spoke with were professional and handled my case well.

Moral of the story: Even if it appears that the conductor checks you in, it might be worthwhile to double check. If this scenario would have occurred on our outbound leg of the trip, we might have been surprised to find out our reservations were cancelled for the return trip!

Different story for me and different ways to completre a transaction. Made LAX-SAS-CHI-WAS for December 2014 and WAS-NOL-LAX for Januray 2015.

Did AGR except for TOL-WAS and ELP-LAX. Used a transportation certificate(letter) with case # and another transportation certificate(letter) with a case # which included an "E" voucher and cash for TOL-WAS and did it through Customer Relations who issued both.

Rep said since one of the letters had a "E" voucher attached with it I'd have to go to a station to redeem it and she put the res on (7) day hold. Fortunately SPG is only 15 minutes away and I completed the transaction.

For ELP-LAX I used an "E" voucher from a cancelled trip and credit card. Told regular AMTRAK rep put it on hold and I'll go to SPG to redeem it. She said no problem, we can redeem your "E" thtough ARROW.

I'm confused. CR couldn't redeem an "E" voucher they issued BUT regular rep could. CR rep was very nice and professional, but did I get an agent that needs more training.

NAVYBLUE

Back