Trouble near Chicago

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rile42

Lead Service Attendant
Just looked at the status of 49 and 29. Between Elkhart and Chicago both are expected to lose over 4 hours before arriving at CUS. I might understand the CL as it was over an hour late anyway and might have missed its "slot". But the LSL was pretty much on time. Anyone know what might be happening? I'm heading into Chicago next week on the LSL.

Just looked at the status of 49 and 29. Between Elkhart and Chicago both are expected to lose over 4 hours before arriving at CUS. I might understand the CL as it was over an hour late anyway and might have missed its "slot". But the LSL was pretty much on time. Anyone know what might be happening? I'm heading into Chicago next week on the LSL.
Heavy flooding

LSL (49) was scheduled to arrive in CHI at 9:45 AM, and finally got there at 2:57 PM. Interestingly, the Empire Builder (7) was scheduled to depart CHI at 2:15 PM, and finally left at 3:36 PM. Looks like Amtrak held the EB so the LSL passengers could make the connection.

Amtrak held all of the big ones: the 'Builder, 'Zephyr, 'Chief, and the 'Eagle.
If Amtrak had four frequencies a day like they should, none of the trains would have needed to be held. The connecting passengers could have just taken the departing train six hours later. No more inconveniencing hundreds of passengers for the connection of dozens of passengers.

...If Amtrak had four frequencies a day like they should, none of the trains would have needed to be held. The connecting passengers could have just taken the departing train six hours later. No more inconveniencing hundreds of passengers for the connection of dozens of passengers.
That would be perfect since, with four trains a day, they would all be running nearly empty and there would be plenty of seats and rooms for rebookings.

Amtrak held all of the big ones: the 'Builder, 'Zephyr, 'Chief, and the 'Eagle.
If Amtrak had four frequencies a day like they should, none of the trains would have needed to be held. The connecting passengers could have just taken the departing train six hours later. No more inconveniencing hundreds of passengers for the connection of dozens of passengers.
Where exactly would they get the equipment for 4 frequencies a day???

They do what they can with what they've got!!! :eek:

...If Amtrak had four frequencies a day like they should, none of the trains would have needed to be held. The connecting passengers could have just taken the departing train six hours later. No more inconveniencing hundreds of passengers for the connection of dozens of passengers.
That would be perfect since, with four trains a day, they would all be running nearly empty and there would be plenty of seats and rooms for rebookings.
The equipment issue is not the only factor that makes this idea unrealistic, but the availability of rooms may not always be what you think it is... especially for those of us that need an accessable room. But it's nice to dream anyway! :rolleyes:

I'm glad that you've volunteered to pay for that, like you should. The rest of us really appreciate it....
I'm paying for the trillion-dollar bailouts and stimulus, so I don't see how I don't have enough money to give a few more billion to Amtrak for equipment. (Long distance trains are pretty close to break-even, operationally)

Well let's see here. Currently most of the western LD trains are close to capacity. I think that shows there is pent-up demand. I don't think quadrupling the frequency would quadruple the passengers, but it would certainly double or even triple. And then if Amtrak expanded their network to some strategic corridors (OKC to MSP, Gulf Wind, etc), the network effects would create a boom in Amtrak passengers.

Where exactly would they get the equipment for 4 frequencies a day???They do what they can with what they've got!!! :eek:
Where would they get the equipment? They'd have to buy it, duh. No one is suggesting that Amtrak is not using the equipment it has. And with all that stimulus money, Congress could have found some to multiply Amtrak's fleet.

Where would they get the equipment? They'd have to buy it, duh. No one is suggesting that Amtrak is not using the equipment it has. And with all that stimulus money, Congress could have found some to multiply Amtrak's fleet.
They could if only Congress would hog wash some of the pork barrel hogwash spending out of the stimulus in favor of Amtrak. But I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for that to happen!

LSL (49) was scheduled to arrive in CHI at 9:45 AM, and finally got there at 2:57 PM. Interestingly, the Empire Builder (7) was scheduled to depart CHI at 2:15 PM, and finally left at 3:36 PM. Looks like Amtrak held the EB so the LSL passengers could make the connection.
I was on the EB. Delay was true>

I'm paying for the trillion-dollar bailouts and stimulus, so I don't see how I don't have enough money to give a few more billion to Amtrak for equipment.
This is a cop-out. You're not paying for either of those things.

If *you* want to say what Amtrak *should* be doing, *you* are going to have to do something about it. Idle complaint is just that -- idle.

I'm paying for the trillion-dollar bailouts and stimulus, so I don't see how I don't have enough money to give a few more billion to Amtrak for equipment.
This is a cop-out. You're not paying for either of those things.

If *you* want to say what Amtrak *should* be doing, *you* are going to have to do something about it. Idle complaint is just that -- idle.
You're right. My children are going to be paying for this whole fiasco. And I think a better intercity train network would be of more use to them than most of the other stuff.

Also, if you think I don't contact my government representatives at all levels about this and other issues, you are mistaken.

Since this conversation has gone political . . .

I'm all for so-called "pork spending". It gets s**t done. But some Amtrak funding would've been nice, IMHO, to expand back into some more N-S corridors (such as the Pioneer, Desert Winds, The CHI-FL train, etc.) But, alas, what do I know . . . just some punk kid ;)

I'm glad that you've volunteered to pay for that, like you should. The rest of us really appreciate it....
I'm paying for the trillion-dollar bailouts and stimulus, so I don't see how I don't have enough money to give a few more billion to Amtrak for equipment. (Long distance trains are pretty close to break-even, operationally)

Well let's see here. Currently most of the western LD trains are close to capacity. I think that shows there is pent-up demand. I don't think quadrupling the frequency would quadruple the passengers, but it would certainly double or even triple. And then if Amtrak expanded their network to some strategic corridors (OKC to MSP, Gulf Wind, etc), the network effects would create a boom in Amtrak passengers.

Where exactly would they get the equipment for 4 frequencies a day???They do what they can with what they've got!!! :eek:
Sorry,

I got the feeling from your post that you felt this should happen immediately! Of course they have to buy the equipment, but the point of the matter is that they are only going after single level stuff and it's going to take a few years for whomever they choose to build TO build it! And I have the feeling that what little is being ordered is already spoken for, and it's not for increasing a lot of service...as much as it is needed. :cool:

Since this conversation has gone political . . . 

I'm all for so-called "pork spending". It gets s**t done. But some Amtrak funding would've been nice, IMHO, to expand back into some more N-S corridors (such as the Pioneer, Desert Winds, The CHI-FL train, etc.) But, alas, what do I know . . . just some punk kid ;)
So-called pork spending? Sorry, but the pork barrel spending is real and it happens on both sides of the isle, not just one side. No matter who tells you what, and no matter how disgusting some of it happening is, it ain't gonna stop anytime soon. I do agree with you though, that some (REAL) Amtrak funding would be nice. But I guess that we just have to appreciate what Amtrak does get. At least it's better than nothing!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back