Trip 11/26-11/28/2010 ON #5 and #14

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bbecker258

Train Attendant
Hi

I am planning a trip west from DEN to SEA over thankgiving. Amtrak is recommending a change to #14 northbound at SMF. I would rather change in SFO to take advantage of the opportunity to visit the city. The layover times are 8 and 5 hours respectively. Does the CZ run that late westbound in the winter so that to guarantee my cxn they need that time frame?

What is there to do in SMF that I can see while there on Sat 11/27. Those of u who travel the CZ could u please advise?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi

I am planning a trip west from DEN to SEA over thankgiving. Amtrak is recommending a change to #14 northbound at SMF. I would rather change in SFO to take advantage of the opportunity to visit the city. The layover times are 8 and 5 hours respectively. Does the CZ run that late westbound in the winter so that to guarantee my cxn they need that time frame?

What is there to do in SMF that I can see while there on Sat 11/27. Those of u who travel the CZ could u please advise?

Do you mean SAC instead of SMF?

Last edited by a moderator:
Amtrak is recommending a change to #14 northbound at SMF. I would rather change in SFO to take advantage of the opportunity to visit the city.

I hope you mean SAC and EMY. SMF and SFO are the airports (neither of which are served by Amtrak
laugh.gif
), while SAC and EMY are train stations!

At Sacramento, the California State Railroad Museum (CSRM) and Old Sacramento are within a few minutes walk of the train station. CSRM is considered by many (including me) to be one of the best (if not the best) railroad museums in the country!
biggrin.gif
There is also a large shopping mall nearby, and Sacramento is also the state capital.

It would not be easy to visit San Francisco easily in that time frame. EMY (Emeryville) is on the east side of the bay while San Francisco is on the west side of the bay.

Amtrak is recommending a change to #14 northbound at SMF. I would rather change in SFO to take advantage of the opportunity to visit the city.

I hope you mean SAC and EMY. SMF and SFO are the airports (neither of which are served by Amtrak
laugh.gif
), while SAC and EMY are train stations!

At Sacramento, the California State Railroad Museum (CSRM) and Old Sacramento are within a few minutes walk of the train station. CSRM is considered by many (including me) to be one of the best (if not the best) railroad museums in the country!
biggrin.gif
There is also a large shopping mall nearby, and Sacramento is also the state capital.

It would not be easy to visit San Francisco easily in that time frame. EMY (Emeryville) is on the east side of the bay while San Francisco is on the west side of the bay.
Yes I do mean SAC, I am a former airline res agent, so they slipped out! I had forgotten about the CSRM, I haven't visited in over ten years and thanks for the reply. Glad to know I won't be stuck if I choose to see the City instead.

I have done the #5 to #14 connection several times and may I recommend you get your tickets thru to Emeryville (EMY) and also get the bus tickets to San Francisco - Pier 39/Fisherman's Wharf (SFW)!! I think you have to book your legs of the trip as seperate reservations, but go ahead and do it. First off, if #5 is running really late, you can still hop in SAC and make your train. However, if #5 is running on-time... I'd rather spend an hour or so walking around Fisherman's Wharf than sitting in SAC for like 8 hours. From my experiences, #5 has been on-time about 50 percent of the time... allowing me to go all the way into SFW and have a nice dinner at Tarantino's or just walk around by the bay there. Again, if #5 is late, just hop in SAC... or go to EMY but dont do the bus across the bay. Enjoy!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back