Traxx in LA Union Station closes

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
While the Traxx food may be good based on the posted pics, I do not much care for restaurants where you see more plate than food when it is put down in front of you. I don't want to see the majority of the plate until I'm well into the meal.

Well I worked 5+ years during and after college working in the service industry including waiting on tables and I thought I heard them all.

Perhaps Los Angeles Union Station is not the likeliest spot for "white tablecloth fine dining." I would expect that most of the traffic through the place is probably commuters, with Pacific Surfliner intercity passengers second, and the long-distance train passengers a distant third. I have no idea what parking is like in the area, my one visit through the place about 15 years ago didn't put me in view of any parking lots or garages. The neighborhood didn't seem like it was some sort of trendy place for fine dining. I would suspect that pub food (which can be very good in its own right) is most appropriate for the traffic the site gets. Come to think of it, I don't think the big stations in Chicago, New York, Washington, Philadelphia and Boston have fine dining venues, either. For that matter, even in the golden age of railroading, I don't think the Harvey House was considered "fine dining."

No just love that Harvey House and it was closed since 1968 until a few months ago. I've spent a lot of time in Union Station and Traxx was nothing particularly special, nice enough but not special, while the Harvey House is an architectural and design gem that has been largely inaccessible until lately.

I just don't consider Traxx anything to cry over. If it were still the only sit down option in Union Station, yes, that would be a loss. As it is, meh.

I considered having lunch at Traxx after arriving on the Sunset Limited and before boarding the Southwest Chief. The menu was inviting, but the prices being charged for the venue that I observed helped me to decide against dining there. The new restaurant in the former Harvey House space is appealing. I was able to get a glimpse of this historic restaurant during my time at Union Station and it certainly did appear to be an interesting space.

I considered having lunch at Traxx after arriving on the Sunset Limited and before boarding the Southwest Chief. The menu was inviting, but the prices being charged for the venue that I observed helped me to decide against dining there. The new restaurant in the former Harvey House space is appealing. I was able to get a glimpse of this historic restaurant during my time at Union Station and it certainly did appear to be an interesting space.
I agree, but I still don't think I'll be ordering one of their $14 Bloody Marys,LOL!!!

Back