Traxx in LA Union Station closes

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would have had dinner there a couple weeks ago, but the prices were beyond exorbitant for the average traveler, myself included. I got there about 6:30 on a Friday night and they should have had a line of customers. I don't think I saw more than 10 customers in the place. Not enough customers to pay the bills, in my opinion, is what did them in.

I think it is pretty clear that Imperial Brewing reopening the Harvey House really cut into their business. For a long time they were the only food option in the station, except for the late and unlamented Union Bagel. After a number of other snack/fast food places opened in the station,they were still the only sit down option or bar service option until the reopening of the Harvey House.

I know for d*mn sure I'd rather eat in the restored Harvey House than Traxx.

Last edited:
I heard there was a cafeteria somewhere in the station building that I could go for breakfast???? Anyone have a clue?
Yeah, there is an employee cafeteria that allows anyone in when it is open in the MTA building at the east end of the tunnel (Patsaouras Plaza side, where the LAX Flyaway bus goes). I think it is only open weekdays though.

I usually head to Phillipes for breakfast though, when I do the Southwest Chief/Coast Starlight connection and the Chief is early/on time.

Yeah, there is an employee cafeteria that allows anyone in when it is open in the MTA building at the east end of the tunnel (Patsaouras Plaza side, where the LAX Flyaway bus goes). I think it is only open weekdays though.

I usually head to Phillipes for breakfast though, when I do the Southwest Chief/Coast Starlight connection and the Chief is early/on time.
That may work because Phillipes is quite a hike for me & I'll be arriving on a Friday!!!

Last edited:
I heard there was a cafeteria somewhere in the station building that I could go for breakfast???? Anyone have a clue?
That is in the Metropolitan Water District Building on the SW corner of the property. Had breakfast there a couple of years ago and it was not bad - pretty good and reasonable. Unfortunately, it is now closed while earthquake upgrades are being performed on the building.

What a shame. We had dinner there before boarding our first Amtrak LD trip aboard the Sunset Limited early 2014. The food was delicious and the wine was fantastic. Between the bar and the restaurant, been there about 5-6 times coming and going through LAUS. Would have been more, but they seemed to be closed frequently for special events, especially if the old ticket lobby had an event going on, the restaurant space seemed to be closed. I'm guessing maybe the kitchen was being rented out for the event.

I thought prices were reasonable for a fine sit down restaurant in LA.

P1000007 by B H, on Flickr

P1000008 by B H, on Flickr

P1000011 by B H, on Flickr

P1000013 by B H, on Flickr

P1000014 by B H, on Flickr

P1000015 by B H, on Flickr

Last edited:
Agree. Traxx prices are not out of line for downtown LA, and the menu sounds (sounded) delicious. For a couple on a vacation or anyone else accustomed to upscale dining, it would be an attractive option. For a family travelling with kids, or the other 99% (OK, maybe 95%?) of us, not so much.

Imperial Brewing is an entirely different kind of venue, and more affordable. The renovated Harvey House location is part of the appeal, as is the craft brewery and smaller plate food offerings. Perfect for pax on the go, and also as a destination itself.

I’ll second the water building cafeteria has a great breakfast or lunch for 5-6 bucks and up. It’s basically part of the Union station complex it’s close, past Amtrak ticket counter outdoor on west side.

Someone said building was getting earthquake retrofit last year it may or may not have re opened yet.

I’ll second the water building cafeteria has a great breakfast or lunch for 5-6 bucks and up. It’s basically part of the Union station complex it’s close, past Amtrak ticket counter outdoor on west side.

Someone said building was getting earthquake retrofit last year it may or may not have re opened yet.
They just got started on the retrofit so, it will be a while before it re-opens.

They just got started on the retrofit so, it will be a while before it re-opens.
What defines "A While", LOL? Think they'd be up & runnin by Sept.?
I heard several months ago, up to two years!

I would have had dinner there a couple weeks ago, but the prices were beyond exorbitant for the average traveler, myself included.

Amtrak charges similar prices for dinner entrees while those photos of Traxx food look fresher and tastier than anything I've been served on Amtrak. Most of my LAUS experiences were in the morning but if I was there for an evening arrival/departure I probably would have enjoyed eating at Traxx. I guess that means I'm not an average traveler.

Last edited:
Also last December, early evening, I had beer and oysters--happy hour: $5 beer, $1 oysters, both really good and a great bargain. It was REALLY crowded, noisy, and vibrant at that time of day.

Those fish tacos look delicious.

This is disappointing. I had dinner there two years ago while waiting for the Sunset/TE and enjoyed it. Interesting that the article quoted the owner that she was seeking a "Hail Mary" from Metro, yet her lease has another year plus to go. Curious what Hail Mary she was hoping for; maybe a renegotiation. Guessing there was no interest n Metro's part. Hope something viable replaces it, but it won't be soon enough for my visit later this month.

This is disappointing. I had dinner there two years ago while waiting for the Sunset/TE and enjoyed it. Interesting that the article quoted the owner that she was seeking a "Hail Mary" from Metro, yet her lease has another year plus to go. Curious what Hail Mary she was hoping for; maybe a renegotiation. Guessing there was no interest n Metro's part. Hope something viable replaces it, but it won't be soon enough for my visit later this month.
Just go to the Imperial Brewing restaurant in the historic Harvey House. It is a more interesting place, with the original Mary Coulter designed interior intact.

I'd trade that Harvey House for Traxx any day of the week.

I think it is pretty clear that Imperial Brewing reopening the Harvey House really cut into their business. I know for d*mn sure I'd rather eat in the restored Harvey House than Traxx.
&
Just go to the Imperial Brewing restaurant in the historic Harvey House. It is a more interesting place, with the original Mary Coulter designed interior intact. I'd trade that Harvey House for Traxx any day of the week.

What's with the hard sell tactics? You seem really determined to dance on this grave. Did you invest in Imperial Brewing or did Traxx harm you in some way?

No just love that Harvey House and it was closed since 1968 until a few months ago. I've spent a lot of time in Union Station and Traxx was nothing particularly special, nice enough but not special, while the Harvey House is an architectural and design gem that has been largely inaccessible until lately.

I just don't consider Traxx anything to cry over. If it were still the only sit down option in Union Station, yes, that would be a loss. As it is, meh.

The Imperial Brewery isn't anything like Traxx. The dinner menu is stuff like burgers, tacos, chicken wings and tater tots. Nothing wrong with that, but it isn't the kind of dining experience that Traxx offered. Yes, it's a place you can sit down and eat, though I found it kind of noisy. I will miss the quieter, more upscale dining at Traxx. I guess since I live near a university, burgers, wings, and beer is my idea of meh. To each their own, for sure. But for those of us who aren't fans of that kind of food, this is a loss.

Back