Traveling uncomfortably

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
his letter has names and a reservation number and car numbers. If they don't know the whereabouts of their own cars on any given day then they have more problems than you would want and hopefully someone will remove management from service.

Alan, I think you were way more than reasonable with the guy, both yellowjacket and mrgreyfoot. Maybe it is worth remembering that yellow jackets are stinging insects. Some people seemingly would rather enjoy their miseries than be helped. I think he was given a lot of good solid advice and rejected all of it.

George

For those who don't know what a yellow jack is....

yellow jack

noun.

A yellowish-silver carangid food fish (Caranx bartholomaei) of western Atlantic and Caribbean waters.

I think the letter was fine and if nothing else will point up some of the on-going issues with service delivery. The reservation number (PNR) should provide all the specifics needed for Amtrak to identify the trains involved (it is recoverable for some time even after the CRS purges it from the active system).

While some of the issues identified can be blamed on lack of funding (rightly or otherwise), some are just examples of the "Amtrak Attitude" that infects a small but not insignificant portion of the workforce. This is a huge issue that Amtrak has struggled with for 35 years and, for one reason or another, seems unsolvable. However, it certainly does not hurt for a passenger to send them this kind of feedback so they know the problem is still out there. I've seen it first hand and sadly it can offset all the positive service that so many other Amtrak employees provide.

There is a certain irony here. The probable outcome of this letter for the OP will be a voucher for some value toward, you guessed it, future Amtrak travel. Somehow I have a suspicion that future Amtrak travel is not on yellowjack's radar screen right now.

I agree, Alan, the new member's remarks and tone certainly give me pause, as do the comments made by the other new member who, as it turns out, joined immediately after the first. Hmmm... <_<

I thought AlanB was rather even handed...he was simply asking questions to fill in the blanks that the original letter left out.

I got the immediate feeling that the letter poster felt either A) This forum was somehow connected to Amtrak, or B ) we discuss Amtrak so he wanted to bash it because of a recent bad trip, or C) He wanted information from us.

If A, AlanB pointed out that such an assumption was incorrect. If B, then bash away, but don't expect not to get responses or questions. If C, why take offense if someone asks a few questions for clarification?

Each smiley has a certain code, some of which are in common use..letter b followed by a close bracket will produce a smiley instead...I deduce!

Sheer Luck Holmes.

Sheer Luck Holmes said:
Each smiley has a certain code, some of which are in common use..letter b followed by a close bracket will produce a smiley instead...I deduce!Sheer Luck Holmes.
Yep - I've seen and had that happen before.

Sheer Luck Holmes said:
Each smiley has a certain code, some of which are in common use..letter b followed by a close bracket will produce a smiley instead...I deduce!Sheer Luck Holmes.
That's correct Sheerluck. :)

I've edited FRJ's original post and placed a space between the b and the ), which prevents the board from thinking that he wanted that smiley.

Chatter163 said:
I agree, Alan, the new member's remarks and tone certainly give me pause, as do the comments made by the other new member who, as it turns out, joined immediately after the first. Hmmm... <_<
It should give us all pause, since they are the same person. :eek:

yellowjack said:
I was only interested in posting my letter. Was not interested in advice.
Then why post it then If advice or discussion was not the reason?

I agree with George, I think Allan handled the Discussion

of the post very well and with reserve. From some of the replies I wonder about the tone of the other e-mails. Also, why should anyone have to play detective to get the facts from the complainant?

Not being present, I can't dispute any of the complaints of Yellowjack but can form my own opinions about the Boy Scouts. I'm sure the Scouts didn't spend the entire trip in one car but like most kids were all over the train.

A large group of kids on a train, like a home, mess up more than one room.

Ever see a bunch of kids automatically volunteer to clean up messes?

Doesn't surprise me he didn't hear them volunteer.

AlanB said:
Chatter163 said:
I agree, Alan, the new member's remarks and tone certainly give me pause, as do the comments made by the other new member who, as it turns out, joined immediately after the first.  Hmmm...   <_<
There's something rotten in Denmark! No offense to the poster of a similar name!

Having heard my share of one-sided complaints over the years, I was kind of leery at first of this one. Given that the poster never bothered to say what he asked of Bill (or more importantly, HOW it was asked - did he interrupt him in his job to blurt out "Hey man, Where's the @#$@ bathroom?") that I feel there are details omitted.

But given that these are the same poster, and this person is referring to themself in the third person as a result, I really have problems giving credence to their story as a result.

That's not to say that all is love and smiles on Amtrak at all, but still, given the rather good remarks I hear on the majority of Amtrak employees, I find it hard to believe that only one person encountered in a cross country trip was doing a fine job, and that the other aspects were all negative.

AlanB said:
Chatter163 said:
I agree, Alan, the new member's remarks and tone certainly give me pause, as do the comments made by the other new member who, as it turns out, joined immediately after the first.  Hmmm...   <_<
I was thinking this also and as far as I'm concerned with the double membership posting the guys credibility is in doubt.

The dog story just didn't pass the Smell test.

The lady was blind. How was she to see to pick "It" up? What person would expect her too? What Gentleman would stand by and watch her do so without doing it for her? If people beleive this, I have a very good real estate deal to discuss with you....

And to the advocates of no guest posting....looks like there are ways around that...

didn't say she was blind. I said she was handicapped. The boyscouts were at least 14 years old not little boys as you would find in cub scouts or webelos.

yellowjack said:
didn't say she was blind. I said she was handicapped. The boyscouts were at least 14 years old not little boys as you would find in cub scouts or webelos.
And, aren't Boy Scouts supposed to behave a cut above the normal young teenagers?

Yellowjack: If you want something done quickly, call Customer Service at Amtrak and tell them your story - with all the details handy - so they don't have to prompt you for them. In a corporation as large as Amtrak, physical letters have a way of being sent down the food chain for a response/investigation and then sent back up for the signature. That can take weeks.

A whole lot of posts and discussion have taken place over a very simple thing. He didn't like the trip - and there were some strange things happening. If Yellowjack calls and gets some sort of response, I would hope he posts that information here and then everyone can go back to being nice again!

I don't think the good citizens of Raton, NM, really appreciate their town being referred to as a "wasteland". Any good dog owner will clean up after their animal, despite any disability. And the area around the station is quite heavily trodden, what with buses, cars, smokers, and thousands of Boy Scouts each summer. Do you want people leaving feces at your local train station?

Also, BTW, most major stations are NOT owned or operated by Amtrak, and as such, it is not's Amtrak's responsibility to maintain the washrooms; contact station management about that.

yellowjack said:
You are correct. I was incorrect in my assumption she was blind. However, had I been there and under those conditions I would have either assisted her or at least asked if she needed assistance.

With due respect, what was the purpose of your post if you reject any questions or discussions and then use another identity to bolster your position????? In your previous post you more or less stated to accept your story or not. Too me I still think your credibility is shot. If others accept your story thats fine because we all know Amtrak does have some personnel problems. I might believe an attended may ask Scouts for a helping hand. Thats what Scouts do, but to Volunteered them to if they were not messy as you put it.... <_< Maybe .

Also, a point of view, 14 year olds can be as messy as pre-teens even though you say these were not.

What about all the coyotes, antlopes, squirrels, and other animals that live there?

Then you are a very unusual person, to help some one pick up their dog mess on dirt that nobody walks on and would be dry in a day under the hot new mexico sun. Are you saying that the other 150 or so passengers are unkind (encluding the boy scouts ) who did not bother to help her while people watched and stood around smoking their cigarets? I bet that town has at least 30 stray dogs that do that and nobody cleans them up.

How much longer do you want to continue this forum?

I'm not rejecting any advice. I do not need to answer Mr Alans questions. Who is this guy? NOBODY! And I don't need to answer your questions either.

Are you interested in continuing this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back