Traveler's checks

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

Guest_Gingee01

Almost ready to go but we were wondering something. I called Amtrak this morning and asked if they accept traveler's checks on the train. The woman said "I think so". Hmmm. She said that they also take charges on the train. Any experience anyone?

I'll be waiting for my loyal Alan to answer. (smile)

Thanks

I've never tried travelers checks, but I'm pretty sure that they do accept them onboard, that's one that someone else may have experience with.

Amtrak however does accept credit cards on board.

Thanks Alan.

I'm wondering if we will have cold food both trips since they are doing the cutting June lst (maybe they will start earlier).

I used traveler's checks on the Coast Starlight from L.A. to Chico, CA. I had ordered something from the club car, and told the attendant I didn't have that much cash, so he said something like, "well this time is OK." So, I don't know the rule, if there is one.

:blink:

Anyone should accept travelers checks, they're as good as cash, except insured. I've used them on board and never had an issue.

A huge problem these days with advanced technology is bogus checks. It's somewhat easy for the true profesional counterfiter to make bogus travelers checks, certified / cashier bank checks etc..

I found this out a few weeks ago when I sold one of my cars. Someone bought and paid for my car with a cashiers check from a local major credit union. I took the check to my credit union to deposit it and they informed me that the check would have to "clear" first. HUH...how can this be? A cashiers check is supposed to be the same as cash. The teller informed me of the fake check problems of today. So really an official bank check could bounce just as high as a personel check if it was a fake.

It wouldnt suprise me at all if nobody accepted travelers checks anymore because of this problem. Besides I thought travelers checks were pretty much a thing of the past since everyone now carries credit cards. I don't know if I would trust the fact that everyone is supposed to or should accept travelers checks. I think I would rather carry credit cards instead.

Guest_Gingee01 said:
Thanks Alan.
I'm wondering if we will have cold food both trips since they are doing the cutting June lst (maybe they will start earlier).
The "cold food" deal is only with Metroliner First Class service on the Northeast Corridor (Washington-New York-Boston). The Cardinal isn't affected by this, and will continue to serve micronuked sandwiches and such on board.

Back