Transition LSL to DownEaster

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul CHI

Service Attendant
Thinking about a trip from CUS to Maine via Boston. LSL gets into Boston late evening and NE doesn't leave until next morning.

Suggested overnight lodging either near South Station or North Station?

:)

Thinking about a trip from CUS to Maine via Boston. LSL gets into Boston late evening and NE doesn't leave until next morning.
Suggested overnight lodging either near South Station or North Station?
Wont try to advise on hotels in Boston,plenty of members have info on this,you areaware about the change of stations for the Maine train right?(North Station vs, South Station

or Back Bay)Perhaps consider riding the NYP section of the LSL to NYC,spend the night there

and ride the train the next morning to Boston,different scenery,more trains and the apple

is the apple!!Sounds like a great trip! :cool:

There is no guaranteed connection, but the LSL arrives BOS at 9:10 pm and the last Downeaster departs BON at 11:20 pm. I've never done this, but have arrived on time at 9:10 in Boston with a hotel reservation there,

wishing I had thought of it.

The LSL had a reputation for being late into BOS. I'm guessing that's why they don't recommend this connection.

Theoretically there should be plenty of time to make the "self-transfer" between BOS and BON.

Although waiting for the next morning Downeaster, you'll get to enjoy the scenery more.

Arriving in Portland at 1:45am may not be too much fun either.

I like the red eye run that the Downeaster makes. It puts you in Portland at at god awful time, but you can probably find a cheaper hotel there than Boston. Its not for the masses, but is an option.

As stated, the LSL uses South Station (BOS), while the Downeaster uses North Station (BON). You must transfer between stations. If you DO NOT have much luggage, you could transfer at Back Bay (BBY) and take the Orange Line (subway or "T") to BON. If you DO have a lot of luggage, I would suggest going to BOS and take a cab to BON. (Also BOS offers check baggage service while BBY does not.)

HERE is a list of Boston area hotels.

As stated, the LSL uses South Station (BOS), while the Downeaster uses North Station (BON). You must transfer between stations. If you DO NOT have much luggage, you could transfer at Back Bay (BBY) and take the Orange Line (subway or "T") to BON. If you DO have a lot of luggage, I would suggest going to BOS and take a cab to BON. (Also BOS offers check baggage service while BBY does not.)
HERE is a list of Boston area hotels.
The Downeaster gets the award for "most complicated Amtrak transfer".

What the_traveler said is the best advice in the NB direction. Are you heading back on the same trains? Here's another trick in the SB direction: you may have a choice of departing from BOS or BBY. Take BOS even though you may have to transfer on the T to get there. BOS is more comfortable and has more shopping and food than BBY.

Are you heading back on the same trains? Here's another trick in the SB direction: you may have a choice of departing from BOS or BBY. Take BOS even though you may have to transfer on the T to get there. BOS is more comfortable and has more shopping and food than BBY.
Now, yes. But only a few years ago (before the 1990's), ALL Amtrak trains from NY state (including the LSL) ONLY went to Grand Central Terminal. ALL OTHER Amtrak trains used Pennsylvania Station! So anyone going to or from NYS and going to or from anywhere else on Amtrak had to change stations to connect! (This included someone coming from CHI on the LSL and going to say PHL.)

Another advantage of BOS (besides checked baggage service) is the Club Acela! If you have a sleeper, you can use it!

Another advantage of BOS (besides checked baggage service) is the Club Acela! If you have a sleeper, you can use it!
Is the Club Acela still open when the Lake Shore Limited arrives in Boston?
The Club Acela is open until 9:30. I made a quick visit last Monday when the LSL arrived 9 minutes early at 9:01 :)

Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
That may be but it gets my vote as one of the premier trains Amtrak runs...or should I say an outside agency pays to have Amtrak run...all four cars one engine and a cabbage. Who would have thought? It gets my vote for the little train that could and did.

Since the Downeaster has a cabbage, why isn't a checked baggage service offered?

Baggage: Checked bag service is not available. Each passenger may bring aboard no more than two pieces of carry-on baggage.
Reservations & Tickets (click on Travel Policies)

Since the Downeaster has a cabbage, why isn't a checked baggage service offered?
Baggage: Checked bag service is not available. Each passenger may bring aboard no more than two pieces of carry-on baggage.
it doesn't always run with a cabbage. there have been times when there have been 2 engines on it. though i suppose in place of the cabbage they could hook up a baggage car instead when the cabbage is not available.

Unfortunately there are no personnel or facilities for baggage handling at North Station, or any Downeaster station. Also, the Northern New England Passenger Rail Authority would have to subsidize any baggage services.

Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, it would be nice to have checked bag service but...there are many liabilities and personnel costs associated with this train having checked bag service that is basically a short haul service paid for by an outside agency. Another thought is who is going to haul bags from BON to BOS? I think this might be a dead end subject. As a matter of info Railway Age reports that the Portland (Maine) station will get a mega-buck track upgrade which will enable trains to wye and run 25 mph instead of the present 10 mph, within the station limits, and no usable wye. This concurs with info supplied by an official at NNERA. I think they are trying to run to Brunswick once the wye is back in service.

Yes, it would be nice to have checked bag service but...there are many liabilities and personnel costs associated with this train having checked bag service that is basically a short haul service paid for by an outside agency. Another thought is who is going to haul bags from BON to BOS? I think this might be a dead end subject. As a matter of info Railway Age reports that the Portland (Maine) station will get a mega-buck track upgrade which will enable trains to wye and run 25 mph instead of the present 10 mph, within the station limits, and no usable wye. This concurs with info supplied by an official at NNERA. I think they are trying to run to Brunswick once the wye is back in service.
The Downeaster has a loco at one end and a cabbage (or another loco) at the other, so why do they need to turn it around?

The Downeaster has a loco at one end and a cabbage (or another loco) at the other, so why do they need to turn it around?
I found a report about this http://www.s4prc.org/fundapps/maine_app.pdf

1. Upgrade Wye TracksThe current wye infrastructure does not

support the turning of Amtrak passenger

trains due to dynamic forces associated

with 85’ cars and locomotives. These

improvements will allow switching of

locomotives in the event of mechanical

failures. Other benefits include potential

reduction of wheel wear resulting from

constant operation in the same direction.
The old Portland Union Station was located on the (now Pan Am) tracks heading up the coast to Brunswick. The newer Amtrak station is located on a branch, the Mountain Division, that heads west. I'm assuming that a ride from Boston to Brunswick would involve stopping at Portland, then reversing out of the station, then continuing in the original direction to Brunswick.

to head north out of Portland...

How many PAX who would want to check baggage would be starting their journey somewhere else that would require them to make the BOS to BON transfer? IOW, would there be people who are traveling exclusively on the Downeaster service that would use checked baggage if it were available? I would think that a checked-baggage service at Portland and maybe one or two intermediate stations would be enough to generate more traffic on the service.

However, I've never used the service or even been in that area, so I don't know anything about the demographics of Downeaster users or would-be users.

I've been thinking about a similar trip, although from Buffalo rather than Chicago. My idea was to get off the train in Worcester (or Framingham), taxi to/from hotel and than take the MBTA commuter train into Boston. Is anyone familiar with MBTA's commuter lines? Is there space to put some luggage? (we'd be bringing along 2 kids).

How many PAX who would want to check baggage would be starting their journey somewhere else that would require them to make the BOS to BON transfer? IOW, would there be people who are traveling exclusively on the Downeaster service that would use checked baggage if it were available? I would think that a checked-baggage service at Portland and maybe one or two intermediate stations would be enough to generate more traffic on the service.

However, I've never used the service or even been in that area, so I don't know anything about the demographics of Downeaster users or would-be users.

Generating ridership does not seem to be a problem for the Downeaster.

I would guess that most Downeaster passengers who transfer, are headed to a NEC train that doesn't have checked baggage anyway.

The big hassle with the Downeaster, as several posters here have explained, is the "self-transfer" between North Station and South Station (or Back Bay). With luggage, it is a tricky subway ride. Having luggage transferred for you would be a major convenience.

But I love this train! Check out the authentic Maine cuisine in the cafe. Last time we departed Boston, I called my sister and said, "I'm having an Italian and clam chowder!" She said, "Are you in Maine already?" I said, "No, I'm on the Downeaster leaving Boston!"

Here's an alternative which lots of people use: After arriving in South Station on the train, get on a Concord Coach bus to Portland which leaves from South Station! They leave mostly hourly, it takes 2 hours, nonstop, and they are all brand new coaches, there's a movie, and while not nearly as nice as the Downeaster, it IS convenient. When coming home to Maine from a CZ/LSL trip last fall, making the last 2 hour leg on the bus was a bit of an anti-climax, yes, but I got home an hour and a half sooner and didn't miss the hassles of getting form South Station to North Station . . .

We LOVE the Downeaster here - but I would not be surprised if it is a small minority of Downeaster riders who are using it as one leg of a longer train trip. For me it's a way to get to Boston and back - but when making connections at South Station, the Concord Coach (which, BTW, uses the same station in Portland as the Downeaster) is a lot slicker.

David

A bus!

I doubt if there are that many transfers between the Downeaster and the rest of the Amtrak system. It seems designed as a super commuter train serving a local market.

Otherwise, it's a direct Orange Line ride from Back Bay to North Station, or take a taxi!

I doubt if there are that many transfers between the Downeaster and the rest of the Amtrak system. It seems designed as a super commuter train serving a local market.
There's not many transfers at present because it's not easy to transfer. I can't count the number of friends/acquaintances who have said something along the sentiment of "I'd take the train to New York/Philly/DC/Florida/etc. if I didn't have to change trains/stations in Boston". Most people want what they want, not something that should be "good enough" to get by.

The Downeaster is very much a "build it and they will come" service. Even as overall use has declined this year due to economics/fuel prices/etc., Saco has experienced an increase in passengers ever since the new transportation center opened, even though the old platform was "good enough".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back