Transition LSL to DownEaster

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I doubt if there are that many transfers between the Downeaster and the rest of the Amtrak system. It seems designed as a super commuter train serving a local market.
There's not many transfers at present because it's not easy to transfer. I can't count the number of friends/acquaintances who have said something along the sentiment of "I'd take the train to New York/Philly/DC/Florida/etc. if I didn't have to change trains/stations in Boston". Most people want what they want, not something that should be "good enough" to get by.

The Downeaster is very much a "build it and they will come" service. Even as overall use has declined this year due to economics/fuel prices/etc., Saco has experienced an increase in passengers ever since the new transportation center opened, even though the old platform was "good enough".
The Downeaster transfer is not that bad to me. You walk down to the subway station, ride the subway, walk to the other station. Lots of times connections at airports make you change terminals where you have to walk across the terminal, take a bus or aerotrain, then walk across the other terminal. Fundamentally its the same: you walk a little, take a train/bus, walk a little more.

The Downeaster is very much a "build it and they will come" service. Even as overall use has declined this year due to economics/fuel prices/etc., Saco has experienced an increase in passengers ever since the new transportation center opened, even though the old platform was "good enough".
Um at least as of April, the latest numbers that I've seen, ridership is still up for this year. It's only up by about 4,200 rides or 1.7%, but it is still up. :)

Um at least as of April, the latest numbers that I've seen, ridership is still up for this year. It's only up by about 4,200 rides or 1.7%, but it is still up. :)
Sorry, I meant specific month compared with previous year (May 2009 versus May 2008); but yes, overall ridership is still up :)

Back to the OPs original question, my recommendation would to be to stay at the Onyx Hotel near North Station. It is on a little side street and its a little hidden jewel. Its a boutique hotel run by the Kimpton brand of hotels. I have stayed here many times and I always enjoy it. It is about 1/2 a block from North Station. You could take a cab there from South Station or you could take the red line to the orange line (change at downtown crossing) and get off at either Haymarket or North Station.

>>There's not many transfers at present because it's not easy to transfer. I can't count the number of friends/acquaintances who have said something along the sentiment of "I'd take the train to New York/Philly/DC/Florida/etc. if I didn't have to change trains/stations in Boston". Most people want what they want, not something that should be "good enough" to get by.<<

Sure - but lots of folks here in Maine take train trips originating in Boston, just like lots of us originate our air travels in Boston - lots more flights are available for lots less money in Boston than in Bangor or Portland. We don't exactly think of this as a major transportation hub - having to take the bus to Boston doesn't in any way diminish the CZ trip, or the Northeast Regional/Silver Meteor to Fl that I did this winter. It's only 2 hours from Portland to Boston, and parking is a lot cheaper in Portland than Boston so we take the bus to Logan Airport (or better yet, South Station).

When you live in a rural state you have to be used to the first part of any LD public transportation trip being figuring out how to get to the station/airport.

David

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back