Transfer on Southbound Norfolk, VA Train?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Hi.

Just noticed that the Southbound Norfolk, VA Train (125, 157, 71) is a transfer at Penn Station for all riders from north of New York. I have a nervous traveller and he doesn't want to go into this unprepared.

Questions:

Is the transfer an across-the-platform transfer ordinarily? Weekdays, Sat. or Sun.?

Does the incoming from Boston train wait there or do they need to clear out ASAP?

How are waiting facilities on the platform?

If not, will the rider need to go up to the waiting room one floor above? Announcements? Departure signs?

Timing? Looks like the arrival / departure span is one hour plus for all three trains?

He's concerned about his safety and getting lost. He gets really nervous in crowds.

Any contact for official info at NYP?

Thanks in advance! Hope I can make this work for him.

Typically it will not be a cross platform transfer. The only (Amtrak) trains that have advertised cross platform transfers I'm aware of are the Springfield-New Haven Shuttles and their Northeast Regional counterparts. In all likelihood when making the transfer one would have to go upstairs and head to the waiting area to make the connection. There are departure boards located throughout the waiting area and announcements are made when a train is ready for boarding. The person does have the option of requesting a Red Cap for luggage assistance, and the Red Cap will assuredly bring them to the right train, but it is recommended to tip the Red Cap. If you think it will be that much of an issue I would personally recommend making the connection at Philadelphia rather than New York. Amtrak services are pretty much in their own world, and there's a lot less volume there than in New York. The departure board in Philadelphia is centrally located, and the station is fairly easy to navigate. Hope that helps.

My favorite station to make connections is Trenton. It is always "same platform" transfer. And even NJT and SEPTA transfers going in the same direction is usually same platform or just cross platform. Of course both trains have to stop there, so traveling by Acelas is out. I think everything else stops there.

It is not an across the platform transfer. He will have to go up to the waiting room. (Most likely, the train from Boston will depart from New York for Washington shortly after it arrives.) If he is worried about crowds, I recommend that he request and use a Red Cap upon arrival who will take him right to the waiting area. Once there, he should request a Red Cap to bring him down to the other train. (There is a possibility that he might even be boarded early!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back