TransDorm Sleeper

• Thread starter Tina aka duke_gal
  • Start date
Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tina aka duke_gal

OK since I was able to book the SWC with a roomette for mid June from CHI to LAX, I was put into the transitional sleeper car roomette 20. :giggle: I would like to hear from folks who have done this before... I have heard from a few that had great experiences.... even from one "train geek" as he called himself...saying he had never had this opportunity BUT is JEALOUS that I get to experience this. Please let me know both GOOD and BAD experiences, since this is my first ever AMTRAK trip. Thanks again for a wonderful and informative site. AND THANKS to Alan for a previous post of a diagram showing where my room is going to be located...ALSO, I did not see showers on the diagram :unsure: ... I am guessing we will be using the showers on the regular passenger sleeper ??? I do not want to go 3 days without a shower :blink:

ALSO, I did not see showers on the diagram :unsure: ... I am guessing we will be using the showers on the regular passenger sleeper ??? I do not want to go 3 days without a shower :blink:
There is what some say is an even better shower on the upper level of this car. It is at the end next toward the next sleeper in line. It is a combination wash/toilet room and shower room next to it. So, a much bigger room than the normal showers in the regular sleeper cars. The sink/toilet area is divided from the shower so it isn't like the bedroom shower in the other cars.

I was reaccommodated in this car following a mechanical problem in the sleeper I started out in. It was only between ALB and Williams Junction on a trip to the Grand Canyon. They told me it was the crew car and promised that I would not have to work. I had long been curious about this car and was delighted to ride even a short bit in it. As I remember there is a lounge downstairs but I thought maybe it was only for the crew and didn't go there. I was not on board for a meal after I changed cars but I think it is a long way to the diner.

ALSO, I did not see showers on the diagram :unsure: ... I am guessing we will be using the showers on the regular passenger sleeper ??? I do not want to go 3 days without a shower :blink:
There is what some say is an even better shower on the upper level of this car. It is at the end next toward the next sleeper in line. It is a combination wash/toilet room and shower room next to it. So, a much bigger room than the normal showers in the regular sleeper cars. The sink/toilet area is divided from the shower so it isn't like the bedroom shower in the other cars.
THANK YOU for your reply :hi: ... BETTER SHOWER is WONDERFUL :wub: ...we have an RV so a small shower is not a problem but if I get an even BETTER one...WOO HOO... THIS trip is gonna be GREAT!!! Cannot wait until JUNE gets here :D

I was reaccommodated in this car following a mechanical problem in the sleeper I started out in. It was only between ALB and Williams Junction on a trip to the Grand Canyon. They told me it was the crew car and promised that I would not have to work. I had long been curious about this car and was delighted to ride even a short bit in it. As I remember there is a lounge downstairs but I thought maybe it was only for the crew and didn't go there. I was not on board for a meal after I changed cars but I think it is a long way to the diner.

Didn't even think about the lounge (thanks for pointing that out) and would not dare infringe on the crews down time. Diner car being a long way is actually a good thing... get to see more of the train that way :giggle:

OK since I was able to book the SWC with a roomette for mid June from CHI to LAX, I was put into the transitional sleeper car roomette 20. :giggle: I would like to hear from folks who have done this before.

We stayed in roomette #18 on the way to Maricopa last December. The roomettes in the trans dorm are the same layout as the regular sleeper. It is quieter there, since there are only 4 revenue roomettes on the upper level, and they may or may not all be full. Most of the foot traffic consists of employees heading for duty or going back to their quarters. If you're a coffee drinker, you'll be able to get coffee in the sleeper next to the transdorm.

Last edited by a moderator:
The one time I was in the transdorm (CONO last year), there was a ladies lounge on the lower level, running the width of the train. That shower was more spacious than the usual. It was a nice little perk.

Does the transdorm have its own Attendant or does the one from the next sleeper do double duty?

Does the transdorm have its own Attendant or does the one from the next sleeper do double duty?
The attendant from the next car usually attends to the dorm.

To the original poster, let me assure you that the "dorm" car has the exact same rooms as the other sleepers. I've ridden the dorm car before and it's the exact same experience as the other cars.

Pros - Quieter car with very little foot traffic.

Cons- Slightly longer walk to diner/lounge

That's about it.

I was moved into this car after complaining about noisy people opposite me. (as an aside, IMO it would have been easier for the attendant to ask the people to shut their door and/or turn down the DVD player, but i digress..)

It was nice and quiet. I noticed the bigger shower/toilet combo but didn't use it. I didn't explore the car at all. The attendant (who was rather rude from the get-go) conveniently "forgot" about me...I could not hear any announcements regarding meals in that car and it wasn't until the attendant came and said "last call that i even realized it was dinner time...( i was involved in my book and hadn't paid attention to the time).

All in all, i was comfy but really didn't notice anything that would make this "special" for a passenger. Again, not complaining, at least i had a roomette and quiet and comfort.

You should be fine though so don't worry about it......just make sure that the attendant knows you are there!

OK since I was able to book the SWC with a roomette for mid June from CHI to LAX, I was put into the transitional sleeper car roomette 20. :giggle: I would like to hear from folks who have done this before.

We stayed in roomette #18 on the way to Maricopa last December. The roomettes in the trans dorm are the same layout as the regular sleeper. It is quieter there, since there are only 4 revenue roomettes on the upper level, and they may or may not all be full. Most of the foot traffic consists of employees heading for duty or going back to their quarters. If you're a coffee drinker, you'll be able to get coffee in the sleeper next to the transdorm.
I AM a Coffee drinker ... that is GREAT to know... NEED my morning coffee :-D

I was moved into this car after complaining about noisy people opposite me. (as an aside, IMO it would have been easier for the attendant to ask the people to shut their door and/or turn down the DVD player, but i digress..)

It was nice and quiet. I noticed the bigger shower/toilet combo but didn't use it. I didn't explore the car at all. The attendant (who was rather rude from the get-go) conveniently "forgot" about me...I could not hear any announcements regarding meals in that car and it wasn't until the attendant came and said "last call that i even realized it was dinner time...( i was involved in my book and hadn't paid attention to the time).

All in all, i was comfy but really didn't notice anything that would make this "special" for a passenger. Again, not complaining, at least i had a roomette and quiet and comfort.

You should be fine though so don't worry about it......just make sure that the attendant knows you are there!
I will make sure to let them know I am there :rolleyes: Don't want them forgetting about me and I will set my alarm on my phone for meal alerts. Thanks for the input.

It is a combination wash/toilet room and shower room next to it. So, a much bigger room than the normal showers in the regular sleeper cars. The sink/toilet area is divided from the shower so it isn't like the bedroom shower in the other cars.
It's actually the same size as the regular public shower; you're just exchanging what it the normal changing area with the bathroom instead. Put another way, you're changing in the bathroom, instead of a room dedicated to changing. This can be nice as one can take a shower and also perform other chores for getting ready to face the day. On the other hand it somewhat limits the floor space to stand on while getting undressed.

We stayed in roomette #18 on the way to Maricopa last December. The roomettes in the trans dorm are the same layout as the regular sleeper. It is quieter there, since there are only 4 revenue roomettes on the upper level, and they may or may not all be full.
The number of rooms sold in the Trans/Dorm depends on the route and the size of the crew for that route. The Empire Builder for example typically only sells 4 rooms. The City of New Orleans I believe can sell 8 rooms, definitely 6. The Auto Train sells zero and in fact I believe even loses a few regular sleeper rooms to the crew.

The one time I was in the transdorm (CONO last year), there was a ladies lounge on the lower level, running the width of the train. That shower was more spacious than the usual. It was a nice little perk.
Yes, there are a few odd ball Trans/Dorms running around that do not have the shower on the upper level. You hit one of those cars. The ladies lounge is much roomier than the norm; however the men’s shower right next door to the powder room is as described above, the smaller combo unit.

Amtrak seems to keep experimenting with that. They've gone from having a sleeper attendant to coach attendant and now back to the sleeping car attendant.

The problem is that it's really too many rooms for one sleeping car attendant to handle. The best ones manage reasonably well, but if you don't have your routine down solidly then things get out of hand even for what would otherwise normally be at least a good attendant. Hit a bad attendant and you can pretty much forget about it.

Coach attendants have the time to handle a few rooms; the problem there is that they wear out their shoes walking back and forth from the coaches to the sleeper. They're basically walking the entire length of the train multiple times a day and it's very hard to open two doors at opposite ends of the train at the same time. Amtrak tried flipping the consist around, putting the coaches next to the Trans/Dorm to solve that problem.

That however led to another problem; namely no coffee/tea/ice/juice etc available to those passengers. At least not without walking a mile to get it, and having to prove to the sleeping car attendant that you're not a coach passenger stealing from the sleeper. The alternative was making the attendant do the walk, again. You also get more foot traffic in the Trans/Dorm from wandering coach passengers, yet another problem.

So at least for the minute, we seem to be back to the closest sleeping car attendant having to work both the Trans/Dorm & their regular sleeper.

To the original poster, let me assure you that the "dorm" car has the exact same rooms as the other sleepers. I've ridden the dorm car before and it's the exact same experience as the other cars.

That's about it.

QUIETER is definitely GOOD...as I am normally a light sleeper

but can run on 3-4 hours so no biggie there and walking to the diner/lounge YIPPEE get to see more of the TRAIN... I am so excited about this trip since it is my FIRST TIME on AMTRAK

I'm booked in Transdorm room #20 on the SWC in early June, ABQ-LA. I look forward to experiencing it for the first time.

As to the possible disadvantages - If the attendant isn't too attentive, I'll save on the tip (I am pretty generous if they seem to care about me).

As for the longer walk to the diner: I always walk as much of the train length as is permitted several times on any distance trip I take, whether in coach or sleeper - for exercise (smoke stops not enough for me) and to see who has gotten on since the last stop (I'm a people-watcher). I make often friends early in the cafe on an LD train, and I like running into them throughout the trip.

Thanks for the posts on this topic - very useful.

That's about it.

QUIETER is definitely GOOD...as I am normally a light sleeper

but can run on 3-4 hours so no biggie there and walking to the diner/lounge YIPPEE get to see more of the TRAIN... I am so excited about this trip since it is my FIRST TIME on AMTRAK
Keep in mind that 'quieter' is referring to people noises. The train horn blasts may be noticeably louder than being in a sleeper a few cars further back. ;)

I’ve had Roomette #20 on the SWC Transition Sleeper a few times and never had any problems. The equipment is fairly old and worn, but because it is the crew’s home on the road, they keep it clean and quiet. I can handle not having an attendant if I get a clean, quiet area in return. That said, there has always been an attendant available whenever I have needed one when in the SWC Transition Sleeper. The funny thing is, although you might not have an ASSIGNED attendant, you are in the same car as a lot of the crew, so there is usually one or two crewmembers in the car that can help. You just have to go find them.

I’d say getting the Transition Sleeper is slightly better than a regular roomette.

That's about it.
and if there's no baggage car you get to listen to the whistle all night long. :lol:

I’ve had Roomette #20 on the SWC Transition Sleeper a few times and never had any problems. The equipment is fairly old and worn, but because it is the crew’s home on the road, they keep it clean and quiet. I can handle not having an attendant if I get a clean, quiet area in return. That said, there has always been an attendant available whenever I have needed one when in the SWC Transition Sleeper. The funny thing is, although you might not have an ASSIGNED attendant, you are in the same car as a lot of the crew, so there is usually one or two crewmembers in the car that can help. You just have to go find them.

I’d say getting the Transition Sleeper is slightly better than a regular roomette.
The transition sleeper does have an assigned attendant. They just don't stay in that car (it's usually the attendant for the adjacent car).

The transition sleeper does have an assigned attendant. They just don't stay in that car (it's usually the attendant for the adjacent car).
Alan addressed that item in topic #13.

*** Note that this is a 2 year old thread ***

We are booked into the transdorm 832 and have a couple more questions:

Do you have access to the equivalent of the downstairs luggage rack? We travel with folding bikes.

How do you not get forgotten when it comes to dinner reservations?

Last edited by a moderator:
and if there's no baggage car you get to listen to the whistle all night long.
laugh.gif
If you are talking about the train I think you are, there isn't even a second engine between you and the noise.

A show-stopper in my book.

Do you have access to the equivalent of the downstairs luggage rack? We travel with folding bikes.

How do you not get forgotten when it comes to dinner reservations?
Paul: Every time Ive ridden in the Transdorm we had Access to the Downstairs including the Luggage Rack and I always made sure the LSA in the Diner knew we were in the Transdorm when it came to getting Meal Reservations! The LSA and Diner Crew Live in that Car but arent around Much Due to their Looong Hours on Duty! I'd just go to the Diner when I Boarded and "Reminded" them yall were in the trans-Dorm! And also Remember the Conductor now has to Scan the e-tickets when you Board and Someone from the Crew has to Meet and Greet the Revenue Pax in the Trans-Dorm even if it isnt your assigned SCA!

It was great! I had the best nights sleep ever. Many people will object to the horn, but I loved it. It was quiet as well. Best nights sleep ever!

Every time Ive ridden in the Transdorm we had Access to the Downstairs including the Luggage Rack ...
Looking good. Sounds like we won't have to compete with steamer trunks and baby carriages on what's sure to be a nearly full train. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back