Train Status

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

denmarks

Train Travel Enthusiast
I have been following the status of the Coast Starlight (14) since I will be taking it on April 1. One thing I don't understand. Right now at 7:40 AM PST the status shows that it left SAC at 2:25 AM. The status for CIC and RDD both show that the train has departed but there is no departure time. The previous day still does not show a departure time for CIC. If they know that a train has left why can't the online status show the time?

BTW: I have not been watching the status PRIOR to arrival since it is in the middle of the night. I just wonder if the estimated arrival status is updated.

AmtrakFan said:
Could it of arrived and someone forgot to update it?
That seems to me like it would be the most logical answer. Based on my observations, and resulting interpretation of how the system works, if someone enters an arrival time for a downline station, but one of the stations before then wasn't updated, it will show as "arrived." The computer assumes that the train must have arrived there (how can it get to point C without first getting to point B), but it doesn't know when.

I also track arrival on several trains. Some days the Amtrak site just says that there is no information available? What’s up with that?

There might be a derailment somewhere, or you're forgetting about the time zones.

For example, if you check the status of #29, the Capitol Limited, as it arrives in Pittsburgh, you have to enter today's date to obtain the current train status. But if you enter today's date (that is, before 2400/0000) for #30 at Pittsburgh, you won't find out how the train that left Chicago today is running, because it arrives at Pittsburgh at 4:00a (or 0400, if you like). You have to enter tomorrow's date to check that.

Hope this makes sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back