Train Service Attendant

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that the first basic qualification of any job requiring at least a high school diploma is the basic skill of observation. Namely looking to see that a question was answered three posts ago...

I am a flight attendant thinking about applying. FA's are paid only for flight hour that we are up in the air. Is the train the same way? Are you only paid while the train is moving or are you paid for every hour that you are on shift?
wow, i always thought that going from airlines to the trains was taking a step backwards.
I would venture to say that the average flight attendant starts at a much lower wage than Amtrak. Remember that Amtrak wages are decendants of some very powerful railroad unions. The benefits for the flying attendants are probably more desireable with regards to flight benefits - particularly international airlines.

Hi everyone,

I was interesting in the Train service attendant, and I wanted to know what is training like and how long is training?
You will have approx. 2-3 weeks of classroom training, And then will spend 3-4 weeks making student trips where you work with different crew members so you learn the job, the train etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
So I'm also an airline flight attendant wondering how the train attendants are paid? Is it based on per hour of being on duty? Or like us, somehow, where we are only paid when the aircraft door is closed? (flight attendants are not being paid when their aircraft is boarding or when they need to move from one flight to the other) Is there like a crew car for the crew members to stay in when they are off duty? And how long are you on duty for at a time?

I think that the first basic qualification of any job requiring at least a high school diploma is the basic skill of observation. Namely looking to see that a question was answered three posts ago...
Absolutely. Proper command of the English language would also be a great start. -_-

I remember landing my first job and having my boss tell me that my smile got me the job, if you can believe that. :lol:

I know that, 48/49 has crews in both NYC and CHI (one horrible and one outstanding, care to guess?). I'd guess that similar arrangements are in place on trains with one overnight, with a possible exception of 21/22, 58/59 being as it is NOL, CHI, SAN.
I would say that Tom Fininigan is the outstanding SCA on the Lake Shore Limited!!

Tom is usually in the 12 car. Sharon if often in the 11 car and has good cookies in her room.

LA crew base has :

All surfer liners

14/11

2/1 & part of 421/422

3/4

So I'm also an airline flight attendant wondering how the train attendants are paid? Is it based on per hour of being on duty? Or like us, somehow, where we are only paid when the aircraft door is closed? (flight attendants are not being paid when their aircraft is boarding or when they need to move from one flight to the other) Is there like a crew car for the crew members to stay in when they are off duty? And how long are you on duty for at a time?
As far as I know -- and I'm not an Amtrak sleeping car attendant -- they work the whole run -- may be anywhere from 12 to 50 hours - trains are slow compared to air -- get guaranteed sleeping hours from 2200 to 0600 but some must wake for trains stops.

On the big Long Distance trains they have a crew car to sleep in, otherwise they get a small sleeping compartment like the pax do .

And free meals.

The long-distance AMTK runs with sleeping cars anywhere from 12 to about 60 hours on board.

As I understand it - tips are welcome -- unlike airlines.

Pay is roughly comparable -- better than the low ball markets for McDonalds or Starbucks - and slightly less than what they pay the pilots on the connecting routes.

-- get guaranteed sleeping hours from 2200 to 0600 but some must wake for trains stops.
The OBS crew is guaranteed 4 hours of uninterrupted sleep, nothing more. There is no such guarantee that they get to sleep from 10 PM to 6 AM, even if they have to get up to open the door at a stop along the way. Heck even the dining car crew typically doesn't get to their rooms prior to 23:00 and they're probably up between 5:00 to 5:30 to start getting ready to open the diner. The LSA in the cafe car is there until at least 11:00 PM and has to be back in the morning to open up at 6:00 AM.

Yes my report time in diner is

Day 2: 545 am to 10pm (cdt)

Day3 :545 am until arrival into nol

Day4:730 am ( we do not serve breakfast)until 10pm

Day5 545am to 10 (local time)

Day 6 : 4 am to 535 arrival time into LA

Yes my report time in diner is

Day 2: 545 am to 10pm (cdt)

Day3 :545 am until arrival into nol

Day4:730 am ( we do not serve breakfast)until 10pm

Day5 545am to 10 (local time)

:hi: Most of we Regular Riders know how hard the OBS works, I always appreciate yall's work and show it by tipping for Good and Friendly Service! Lots of folks put down the Sunset Ltd. but I've had nothing but good trips to/from NOL!

Edited for Correct LD Train! Thanks Alan!!

:hi: Most of we Regular Riders know how hard the OBS works, I always appreciate yall's work and show it by tipping for Good and Friendly Service! Lots of folks put down the CONO but I've had nothing but good trips to/from NOL!
Um, Jim, the City of New Orleans doesn't run to LA. :unsure:

:hi: Most of we Regular Riders know how hard the OBS works, I always appreciate yall's work and show it by tipping for Good and Friendly Service! Lots of folks put down the CONO but I've had nothing but good trips to/from NOL!
But the On Board Crew may very well be scheduled from the CONO to the SL for their weekly assigned shift

But the On Board Crew may very well be scheduled from the CONO to the SL for their weekly assigned shift
That is not correct. The CONO is staffed out of NOL, while the SL is staffed out of LA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back