Train Jam CZ Feb 23

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I could think of several reasons Private Cars wouldn't work. One the highest sleeping car number I think is 24 passengers most are lower. Each car has a different charter price some are as low as 1,000 a day some are upwards of 5,000 a day. If you want to charter coaches there aren't many single level coaches I can think of five off hat that are certified. Plus each car is different interior, and furnishings. So some people who get a coach ticket in say St Augustine will end up smelling that funky smell in the Exploded smerth. While someone who gets an IP coach gets something similar to a long distance coach on Amtrak.

Plus you would have to get a train manager to get everyone together I could think of three qualified people who could do that fairly easy.

attachicon.gif
ImageUploadedByAmtrak Forum1480879842.436707.jpg

That is the locomotive guide for PVs with train length restrictions for the CZ.
I would really love to see slightly more of that guide because I've been very curious about the current train length restrictions at different stations (for instance, on the LSL route...) But I don't know where to get a copy of it, is it available AARPCO members only? :-(
It's only for AAPRCO members which I am one. If you shoot me a PM. I'm more then happy to send you a copy. And any other info you might be interested in. I'll see if I have access to.

What train length restrictions? Amtrak LD trains like the CZ routinely do double stops. And triple stops are common at the Truckee, California station.

didnt the trains used to be far longer when they carried mail?
Yes they were much longer, but the restrictions in place are for stations that have been modified since that time and no longer can accommodate the longer trains.

Or for stations that were built after Amtrak assumed passenger operations. Another thing to remember too Mail and express was handled ahead of the engines in the pre Amtrak days. And engines don't need to be on the platform. And when Amtrak did them the cars were only switched out at longer stops. So again they didn't need to be on the platform.

It looks like they do intend to add another lounge for the trip.

I hope these guys make it through.

I think that they should think about getting a private car or two for their convention. In full disclosure I'm a PV person so if they charter I make money.

Is there any of the Dorm Coach Transition Cars even on the road?

It's February Amtrak has equipment sitting around, no real reason not to use. The only advantage would be a PV with a generator set.

So in other words....it's quite possible that they negotiated exclusive use of the train, much against what everyone earlier was thinking apparently since many called Amtrak out on not adding additional cars.

As TR said, hopefully they make it through.

So in other words....it's quite possible that they negotiated exclusive use of the train, much against what everyone earlier was thinking apparently since many called Amtrak out on not adding additional cars.

As TR said, hopefully they make it through.
Much like the same manner as the Safety Patrol Special. What else would you expect. It's a big group going to a big conference, just like the Safety Patrol Special is comprised of a big group going to a big trip. What I mean by a big group, is that the train was full of people from the group.

Train 6 is extremely late as of the time that Train2104 posted the snapshot of the status map, possibly due to the fallout and being goobered up in Donner Pass.

There are 3 late eastbound CZ's currently on the road. The one furthest east near Omaha is running 19 hours late. A second near Winter Park, CO is running 9 hours late. And a third near winnemucca, NV is running 4 hrs late.

Trainjam is on time running westbound in Nebraska and is forecast to arrive at its final destination of Emeryville, CA one hour early on Saturday afternoon.

Last edited by a moderator:
So it begins.

A) Amtrak is using the summer length trainset.

B) Amtrak may of add a lounge car.

C) The group seem to have book the full train.

D) The group did have some last minute coach seats open up. May or may not of been filled.

E) Per the tweets some are having a blast.

Still it was noted:

1) That sleeper ticket were still in demand days before it left.

2) The Train Jam as a whole sold out in 1hr 28 min.

So it begins.

A) Amtrak is using the summer length trainset.

B) Amtrak may of add a lounge car.

C) The group seem to have book the full train.

D) The group did have some last minute coach seats open up. May or may not of been filled.

E) Per the tweets some are having a blast.

Still it was noted:

1) That sleeper ticket were still in demand days before it left.

2) The Train Jam as a whole sold out in 1hr 28 min.
Take my hint, the train is not making any station stops to pick up/discharge passengers enroute. :p

The #5 that left Chicago 2/22 had several delays between Green River and Helper yesterday evening 2/23 and other delays this morning 2/24. Anyone know what the cause of the delays were, and if these delays can be expected for the Train Jan this evening???

Last edited by a moderator:
The #5 that left Chicago 2/22 had several delays between Green River and Helper yesterday evening 2/23 and other delays this morning 2/24. Anyone know what the cause of the delays were, and if these delays can be expected for the Train Jan this evening???
That CZ #5 has lost an additional three hours since leaving SLC. Now 5 hours late at Winnemucca, NV.

FTI/Recrews/Obstructions. The usual. It is entirely possible these issues or other issues may occur on any route at any time. All you can do is keep chugging. So far, 5(23) is 42" early approaching PRO.

Back