Train/car accident in TN and NS Safety Visit

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

supergrandmother

Train Attendant
We recently had an accident here which involved a car crossing tracks in front of an oncoming freight train. Two young people were killed and two more severely injured. According to witnesses the train was visible and blowing the horn. Anyway, in the many reportings by the local news they have mentioned that NS will be conducting a safety ride through East Tennessee complete with a passenger car equipped with a tv monitor which shows what the engineer sees in front of the train. Wonder where NS gets their passenger cars and, more importantly, how do I get to ride in it?

We recently had an accident here which involved a car crossing tracks in front of an oncoming freight train. Two young people were killed and two more severely injured. According to witnesses the train was visible and blowing the horn. Anyway, in the many reportings by the local news they have mentioned that NS will be conducting a safety ride through East Tennessee complete with a passenger car equipped with a tv monitor which shows what the engineer sees in front of the train. Wonder where NS gets their passenger cars and, more importantly, how do I get to ride in it?
These cars were all bought for regular passenger train service sometime between the late 1930's and early 1950's. A few may have been bought for office car use, but it would be in the same time frame. They have been modified for use in business train service, mostly on the inside. The open platform ends were cut in unless the car was built for office car use initially. Given good maintenance a passenger car built any time from the 1920's onward has an almost indefinite lifespan. I think most of those built in the 1920's are no longer in service because they are heavier and require more maintenance.

Back