Train cancelled and rebooked

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Rider

OK - so my CZ res. was cancelled,due to flooding. I was booked in sleeper. Now I am re-booked a day later in the EB, in coach. I got all my sleeper AGR points back less the ones for the coach ticket.

If I write to Amtrak and complain of the inconvenience am I likely to receive any form of compensation? Who do I write to? And is it better to write than to call?

You can try, but seriously, why should Amtrak owe you anything? Mother Nature caused the railroad to shut down.

You actually were able to get reaccommodated. Many others have no alternate (Amtrak) choices available.

You can try, but seriously, why should Amtrak owe you anything? Mother Nature caused the railroad to shut down.

You actually were able to get reaccommodated. Many others have no alternate (Amtrak) choices available.
Not re-accommodated. I am in coach instead of sleeper. Do you often do 4 nights in coach and consider it the same as a roomette? (My trip originates in DUN and was booked in sleeper thru Toledo)

I am glad they were able to rebook me, yes - and feel bad others can't travel at all. But it is none the less a real inconvenience (read: literal pain in the neck) to be in coach so long.

I don't consider coach the same as a roomette. Nonetheless, you were refunded the difference in price (well, AGR points), and were told about it prior to your travels. So, in effect, you have now paid for a coach ticket, and will get coach travel.

Does it suck? Yes. But, if the railroad isn't open, and all the alternates are full (since we're now into peak travel season), there's not a heck of a lot else Amtrak can do.

If you were flying from NY to LA, and they said (even before your trip) that "... All flights are full but we can get you there - on Greyhound!
ohmy.gif
We'll refund the price of your first class ticket less the cost of the bus ticket!"

They re-accommodated you, but do you think that a ticket on Greyhound is the same as a first class airline seat?
huh.gif
I bet you would be on the phone to customer service before you even hung up!
rolleyes.gif
So why do you think coach is the same as a roomette?
huh.gif

To the OP: Unless you absolutely have to be to your destination (for whatever reason) on a certain date. I myself would just cancel that trip and reschedule it at a later date (if possible). I would also contact Amtrak Customer Service (call 1-800-USA-RAIL, ask for an agent, then ask for Customer Service) and explain the situation. I am sure you will receive something for being downgraded. You did not make your reservations for 4 days in coach!

So why do you think coach is the same as a roomette?
Who is the "you" you're referring to here? Certainly not me.

I don't consider coach the same as a roomette.

If you were flying from NY to LA, and they said (even before your trip) that "... All flights are full but we can get you there - on Greyhound!
ohmy.gif
We'll refund the price of your first class ticket less the cost of the bus ticket!"
If an airline cancels your flight because of weather related issues, they are required to either refund your money or provide you an alternate routing to your destination (and if you bought a first-class ticket, and first-class isn't available on your alternate, well...tough). They aren't required to provide any more compensation than that (not even a hotel room, if you misconnect).

I'm with trogdor on this one. YES, it totally sucks that the OP is being downgraded to coach because no rooms are available. But, they have been told ahead of time and amtrak has refunded the points and reaccommodated the OP as best as they could. Since it's an AGR trip, do you have any more flexibility in the dates? Why not just postpone for a date that would work for you?

I agree that the situation totally sucks, but the flooding is outside of amtrak's control. I am not sure how amtrak is supposed to magically dry out the route or make sleepers appear out of nowhere. But I don't think any additional monetary compensation is needed or warranted in this situation.

That's the thing, I am in the middle of a trip that originated in Boston. So I was not notified of a long stretch in coach before my trip started - only yesterday (and I was planning on leaving on the return trip tomorrow). As is, I postponed a day to get any seat whatever and apparently that is still up in the air.

I could wait until Monday and get a roomette for the EB leg, which is tempting. But then I'd miss another week of work and I need the paycheck.

I respect all opinions, but I am still going to ask about compensation of some form. Any suggestions of who specifically to call or write to?

I'm also going to enjoy the trip no matter what - the scenery is the same no matter what class. With these sold out trains, it may be sketchy getting diner reservations from coach - but if I do, I'll enjoy the meal(s) even though I'll have to pay for them.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Im gonna go with the Opposite View on this Matter! The OP is in the Middle of a Trip, has to Spend 4 nights IN COACH after Booking a Sleeper (Including Meals!!!) on an AGR Award! When Flooding Caused so Many Cancellations on Various Routes this Spring (and Still Ongoing!), Customer Relations Started getting Hndreds, if not Thousands of Clls,from Pax in Similar Situations Including ME when the Texas Eagle was Cancelled with No Alternate Transportation Available! Also I had Hotels Booked in WAS for NTD that were Non-Refundable and a AGR 2 Zone Award on the Cardinal from CHI-BAL in a Roomette.

I had to Book a Flight from AUS-Phoenix!!! :eek: -MKE, costing me $235 plus Losing the Night in A Sleeper and 5 meals between AUS and CHI! Customer Relations was Very Understanding and Professional, I was sent a Voucher for $300 for Future Travel Since AGR Points Couldn't be Refunded as I actually DID use a 2 Zone Award from CHI-BAL!

IMO the OP Should Receive @ Voucher for what a Sleeper would have Cost for the 4 Nights @ Whatever the Booked Price Originally was??? This could be anywhere from Hundreds to Thousands of Dollars but it seems Fair to me and Good Customer Relations!

It's NOT the Passengers Fault, it's Amtraks Responsibility to Provide for the Facilities Booked in Good Faith by the Passenger!! Senority and Membership in AGR Should Count for Something, First Booked, Loyal AGR Members Should Be Accomidated in a Room in a Situation like this IMO and others also! YMMV

Last edited by a moderator:
That's the thing, I am in the middle of a trip that originated in Boston. So I was not notified of a long stretch in coach before my trip started - only yesterday (and I was planning on leaving on the return trip tomorrow). As is, I postponed a day to get any seat whatever and apparently that is still up in the air.

I could wait until Monday and get a roomette for the EB leg, which is tempting. But then I'd miss another week of work and I need the paycheck.

I respect all opinions, but I am still going to ask about compensation of some form. Any suggestions of who specifically to call or write to?

I'm also going to enjoy the trip no matter what - the scenery is the same no matter what class. With these sold out trains, it may be sketchy getting diner reservations from coach - but if I do, I'll enjoy the meal(s) even though I'll have to pay for them.

Thanks.
I wonder if you couldn't whine a bit to Customer Service and at least get them to comp your meals. Tell them that food on the return trip wasn't in your budget, since it was going to be included under the roomette. I'm not saying they have to, but you might get a sympathetic CSR.

Im gonna go with the Opposite View on this Matter! The OP is in the Middle of a Trip, has to Spend 4 nights IN COACH after Booking a Sleeper (Including Meals!!!) on an AGR Award! When Flooding Caused so Many Cancellations on Various Routes this Spring (and Still Ongoing!), Customer Relations Started getting Hndreds, if not Thousands of Clls,from Pax in Similar Situations Including ME when the Texas Eagle was Cancelled with No Alternate Transportation Available! Also I had Hotels Booked in WAS for NTD that were Non-Refundable and a AGR 2 Zone Award on the Cardinal from CHI-BAL in a Roomette.

I had to Book a Flight from AUS-Phoenix!!! :eek: -MKE, costing me $235 plus Losing the Night in A Sleeper and 5 meals between AUS and CHI! Customer Relations was Very Understanding and Professional, I was sent a Voucher for $300 for Future Travel Since AGR Points Couldn't be Refunded as I actually DID use a 2 Zone Award from CHI-BAL!

IMO the OP Should Receive @ Voucher for what a Sleeper would have Cost for the 4 Nights @ Whatever the Booked Price Originally was??? This could be anywhere from Hundreds to Thousands of Dollars but it seems Fair to me and Good Customer Relations!

It's NOT the Passengers Fault, it's Amtraks Responsibility to Provide for the Facilities Booked in Good Faith by the Passenger!! Senority and Membership in AGR Should Count for Something, First Booked, Loyal AGR Members Should Be Accomidated in a Room in a Situation like this IMO and others also! YMMV
Wow, Jim. I have to totally disagree with you. This specific situation is a disruption beyond Amtrak's control. Imagine if they gave away free money to EVERYONE on the canceled trains. Could you imagine how much that would be?

You also said that "Seniority and AGR Membership" should be taken care of first? Are you really saying that people booked on other trains should be booted out of their sleepers if they are not AGR members or booked at a later time? So now not only are they having to cancel passengers on canceled trains, they are booting people out of rooms on uncanceled trains.

I totally feel for the OP, but it is not Amtrak's fault.

Something that I've seen mentioned several times in threads like this one is 'non-refundable hotel reservations'. That, to me, is a recipe for disaster especially when train travel is involved. I shy away from all those 3rd party hotel reservation sites (and even the in-house 'deals' for advance paid reservations) just to have the freedom to make last-minute changes/cancellations. I'll gladly pay a few more $$/night just for the peace-of-mind. All it takes is one trip gone awry on a non-refundable reservation to burn through all of the assumed savings by booking that way.

Just my $.02... ;)

Wow, Jim. I have to totally disagree with you. This specific situation is a disruption beyond Amtrak's control. Imagine if they gave away free money to EVERYONE on the canceled trains. Could you imagine how much that would be?

You also said that "Seniority and AGR Membership" should be taken care of first? Are you really saying that people booked on other trains should be booted out of their sleepers if they are not AGR members or booked at a later time? So now not only are they having to cancel passengers on canceled trains, they are booting people out of rooms on uncanceled trains.

Yes, I DO think that AGR Membership should give the Benefit of the Doubt to People that are misplaced from Booked/Guaranted Reservations, whether AGR or Paid! By Seniority I meant those that Booked the Earliest, as we know you can Book up to 11 months in Advance, the Early Bird Should get the Worm! I do see the Points of those Posters that I disagree with, and will say that's an Excellent Point about Non-Refundable Reservations!

Guess Customer Relations will Continue to Play it by Ear on a Case by Case Basis, there being No Policy that they are Obligated to Follow, which Really Isn't any Way to Run a Railroad! Guess the Old YMMV will have to Apply Here, Im Glad it Worked for Me and Others!

If you were booked in a sleeper and involuntarily downgraded to coach, your meals are still included, free of additional charge. I'd suggest that you keep some paper form of the communication from Amtrak so that you can verify, on the train, that you were downgraded. The LSA in the diner is the one to talk to about this.

In addition, call Amtrak customer service at the END of your travels. Speak to an agent. I'd be very surprised it they didn't offer you a voucher in addition to the refund you already received.

Also, if you are booked on the EB in the next week, don't be too surprised if your train is canceled. The EB has not run since May 30 due to flooding in North Dakota. Service is currently expected to resume either on the 10th or 11th, depending on who you ask. However the service restoration date has already pushed back twice, and I wouldn't be surprised if it is pushed back again.

Mark

Something that I've seen mentioned several times in threads like this one is 'non-refundable hotel reservations'. That, to me, is a recipe for disaster especially when train travel is involved. I shy away from all those 3rd party hotel reservation sites (and even the in-house 'deals' for advance paid reservations) just to have the freedom to make last-minute changes/cancellations. I'll gladly pay a few more $$/night just for the peace-of-mind. All it takes is one trip gone awry on a non-refundable reservation to burn through all of the assumed savings by booking that way.

Just my $.02... ;)
Could not agree with you more on this point. I do not do third party res. or the lowest cost nonrefundable room. Just asking to eat the cost going that route!

If you were booked in a sleeper and involuntarily downgraded to coach, your meals are still included, free of additional charge. I'd suggest that you keep some paper form of the communication from Amtrak so that you can verify, on the train, that you were downgraded. The LSA in the diner is the one to talk to about this.
That's very interesting. I wonder if that applies since as part of downgrading to coach they refunded some of my AGR points. I am on hold right now with AGR to ask about it, won't be surprised if I don't get it. But it NEVER hurts to ask, does it.

Yes, I DO think that AGR Membership should give the Benefit of the Doubt to People that are misplaced from Booked/Guaranted Reservations, whether AGR or Paid! By Seniority I meant those that Booked the Earliest, as we know you can Book up to 11 months in Advance, the Early Bird Should get the Worm! I do see the Points of those Posters that I disagree with, and will say that's an Excellent Point about Non-Refundable Reservations!

Guess Customer Relations will Continue to Play it by Ear on a Case by Case Basis, there being No Policy that they are Obligated to Follow, which Really Isn't any Way to Run a Railroad! Guess the Old YMMV will have to Apply Here, Im Glad it Worked for Me and Others!
I just want to be clear on your position. Are you saying that someone who had a room on a canceled CS should be given an already taken room on the SWC, thus displacing another customer simply because they bought their ticket on the CS before the person bought their ticket on the SWC? Really?

I want to be Clear on this: Yes, but Only IF the person having a Guaranteed Early Rez Booked and IS an AGR Member(Whether Paid or AGR Award)was Cancelled from their Train, say the CZ., and the other Person to be Moved to Coach on the say SWC, had Made their Rez Later and Was NOT an AGR Member! I'm sure Amtrak will have Lots of these Cases with all the Cancellations/Rebookings etc. I seem to be in the Minority here, Just wanna say if it happened to You would It still Not Matter? Personally I'd like to have a Voucher for Future Travel or ALL the AGR Points Returned to My Account if Made to Ride in Coach cause I Love riding Trains but not 4 Nights in Coach Especially in the Middle of a long Booked Trip!! One of our Amtrak OBS Members said that Meals Would Be Included If Downgraded to Coach but that's Still Not Good Enough Compensation IMO! :(

I'd Compare it to Select and Select Plus Members having More Privliges than Regular or NON-AGR Members or the Premium Airline Clubs and also Perks that come with Higher End Credit cards etc. Loyality Should Count for Something NO??!!!

That's very interesting. I wonder if that applies since as part of downgrading to coach they refunded some of my AGR points. I am on hold right now with AGR to ask about it, won't be surprised if I don't get it. But it NEVER hurts to ask, does it.

I'm not sure AGR could give you a definite answer on this topic. The policy is however in Amtrak's Employee Standards manual. Every LSA should be aware of it.

Loyalty should count for something, but not at the cost of another customer. Could you imagine being the customer on the SWC who just got booted because the CS was canceled?

I know this is not going to happen so I am not worried. I just cannot see how this would be a good way to handle this situation.

I'm not sure AGR could give you a definite answer on this topic. The policy is however in Amtrak's Employee Standards manual. Every LSA should be aware of it.
I'm sure that AGR wouldn't know.

I'm also not sure that having a sleeper reservation canceled on the CZ and then being rebooked on the EB in coach counts as a downgrade. Amtrak didn't bad order his sleeper; they cancelled his entire train. His choice was to find his own way home or take another routing. So again, I'm not sure that would actually fall under the realm of being downgraded.

Loyalty should count for something, but not at the cost of another customer. Could you imagine being the customer on the SWC who just got booted because the CS was canceled?

I know this is not going to happen so I am not worried. I just cannot see how this would be a good way to handle this situation.
I'm with you on this one. I can't imagine being the employee having to call and/or tell someone when they show up at the station that they've jsut been downgraded to coach because someone else from a cancelled train now has their room. That wouldn't go over well at all.

Now, I do agree that Amtrak should be offering consideration to those who are in AGR. As in, if a train gets cancelled or a connection is missed, they should start filling rooms/seats that are still available on other trains based upon AGR status working their way down until they reach non-agr passengers and everything is now sold out out.

I want to be Clear on this: Yes, but Only IF the person having a Guaranteed Early Rez Booked and IS an AGR Member(Whether Paid or AGR Award)was Cancelled from their Train, say the CZ., and the other Person to be Moved to Coach on the say SWC, had Made their Rez Later and Was NOT an AGR Member! I'm sure Amtrak will have Lots of these Cases with all the Cancellations/Rebookings etc. I seem to be in the Minority here, Just wanna say if it happened to You would It still Not Matter? Personally I'd like to have a Voucher for Future Travel or ALL the AGR Points Returned to My Account if Made to Ride in Coach cause I Love riding Trains but not 4 Nights in Coach Especially in the Middle of a long Booked Trip!! One of our Amtrak OBS Members said that Meals Would Be Included If Downgraded to Coach but that's Still Not Good Enough Compensation IMO! :(

I'd Compare it to Select and Select Plus Members having More Privliges than Regular or NON-AGR Members or the Premium Airline Clubs and also Perks that come with Higher End Credit cards etc. Loyality Should Count for Something NO??!!!
Not in this instance. This would just plain be bad business. Just because you had a reservation on a cancelled train regardless of how early it was booked should not allow you to bump a customer on a different train just because the train you are on was cancelled. Reason being simply the other passenger was the early bird on the non-cancelled train. Second, your idea is a perfect way to get people who may be riding Amtrak for the first time to never ride again and then tell fifteen to twenty of their friends not to ride either and gives fuel to the Amcritics.

Maybe a system like you suggest would work if booking displaced passengers into available space on other trains but definitely not at the expense of customers with established space on the non-cancelled train.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back