train #3 departure delays

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Midland Valley

Lead Service Attendant
If the reason that the westbound SWC is so late in departing Chicago, (anywhere from 2-5 hours late) is because of the extremely late arrival times of #29, why don't they just overnight both trains and let the Chief be the Chief and the Capitol Limited be the Capitol Limited so they don't have to ball up hundreds of people for hours. I can see waiting an hour or so for people to make connections, but 5 hours, that cheats people out of a decent evening meal on the Chief. I can't eat supper at 9:00 pm and then hope to get any sleep.

Midland Valley said:
why don't they just overnight both trains and let the Chief be the Chief and the Capitol Limited be the Capitol Limited so they don't have to ball up hundreds of people for hours.
Because Amtrak does not have enough equipment to do that. They would have to permenately cancel at least one of the LD trains that use Superliner cars to gain enough spare cars to support such a plan.

Actually, the equipment rotation *should* work if 29 turned to 30 same day (vs. 3 same day), and 4 turned to 3 next day (vs. 30 next day). That way, they'd have a couple of extra hours to turn 29, and they'd still have a whole night to turn 4.

rmadisonwi said:
Actually, the equipment rotation *should* work if 29 turned to 30 same day (vs. 3 same day), and 4 turned to 3 next day (vs. 30 next day). That way, they'd have a couple of extra hours to turn 29, and they'd still have a whole night to turn 4.
Yes, a same day turn of 29/30 would work, but an overnight as originally suggested would not.

Right! But that does adress the issue of one train being delayed because another is running too late. The Chief left 4 hours and 20 min. late because 29 was 6 1/2 hours late.

Given the rediculous OTP of the CL, and If they are using that trainset for #3 on a daily basis, what kind of stress does that put on the people in the car facilities who have to at least try to clean the toilets, floors, bedrooms and beds, etc. plus stock the lounge and diner? I think that is unfair for them to have to be under that kind of pressure every day. And that is just for that one set of cars.

Midland Valley said:
I think that is unfair for them to have to be under that kind of pressure every day.  And that is just for that one set of cars.
Aloha

Think you have just described the real value of Amtrak to this country.

Mahalo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back