Traffic congestion in Ontario leads to calls for more train service

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CHamilton

Engineer
AU Supporting Member
Gathering Team Member
Solve road gridlock with rail investment | The London [Ontario] Free Press

This is a good article. But I ROFL when I read this: "Other countries like Germany and the U.S. build and operate their passenger rail services based on co-operation between all levels of government. They set aside partisanship and ideology to make needed investments, get the job done and keep people moving efficiently." Has the writer been following Amtrak's woes lately?

...I ROFL when I read this: "Other countries like... ...the U.S. build and operate their passenger rail services based on co-operation between all levels of government. They set aside partisanship and ideology to make needed investments, get the job done and keep people moving efficiently." Has the writer been following Amtrak's woes lately?
I've noticed in my travels 'Up North' that a lot of 'Up North' railfans have a condition I call 'Amtrak Envy.' I wonder if this condition played into the author's delusion?

Well, yeah, I suppose if you're comparing it with VIA (where the provincial government disclaims responsibility and the federal government announces "improvements" consisting of major service cuts), Amtrak looks like a model of cooperation between state and federal governments.

All depends on where you're starting from, I guess. From Mexico, with no interstate passenger service, Amtrak probably looks pretty good too. Perhaps even from Australia; there, the interstate service from NSW to Queensland and Victoria is simply operated outright by NSW, while the interstate service elsewhere has declined to sub-daily levels and is basically only usable by tourists.

Back