Top Speeds on CL and TE?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

John King

Train Attendant
Sister and I ready for Capitol Limited and Texas Eagle this weekend, and return next weekend. I frequently see AU references to 79 mph. Is that the top speed these trains will make or do they sometimes go faster? Other than Acela, what are the fastest routes running these days?

Nope, 79 for both of them.

Other top speeds:

Acela: 150

Northeast Regional: 125

Michigan trains: 110

Southwest Chief: 90

Everywhere else is 79 (unless I'm forgetting something).

Isn't a portion of the Empire Corridor 110mph? And a portion of the Pacific Surfliner 90mph?

EDIT: Also, I believe trains on the Michigan corridor are still restricted to 95mph. (Seems like the plan has been to raise speeds from 95mph to 110mph on that corridor "next year" for the last few years.)

Last edited by a moderator:
The Lake Shore Limited runs at up to 110 mph between and New York. That would also include the Empire services.

Proof:

The Keystone services run up to 90 mph.

I've heard there are sections where the Pacific Surfliner runs up to 90 mph.

Yeah. Pretty much what Eric said.

If only there was a map of the different track speed limits across the country...

I was just on the CL on Friday. According to my GPS we were doing 80 most of the way with occasional bursts up to 87mph... (probably rolling down hill)

I seriously doubt you were actually going 87 mph on the Capitol Limited. GPS doesn't always have 100% accurate location data, and therefore, may not have 100% accurate speeds.

Michigan service is still limited to 95, for the time being, between (roughly) New Buffalo and Kalamazoo.

My last trip on the CL, 1/2010, max speed according to my GPS was 81 mph, overall avg. speed from WAS to CHI was 42 mph

I thought the Keystones did 110 on the Keystone corridor and 125 on the NEC?
Yes, although I don't know for how much of the Keystone eastern corridor they run at 110 mph. The plans for the Keystone eastern corridor are to upgrade it for 125 mph speeds on some segments.

In several years, segments of the St. Louis to Chicago corridor should be running at 110 mph speeds.

I once caught a late NE Regional doing 80-81 in Newport News...there are enough straight segments that I was able to stopwatch that are immediately parallel to a major road that, combined with how "hard" they came into WBG, I think they were tapping the limit to make up time.

But...79 is the rule, though I wouldn't be surprised by some occasional "wandering" over that line on a downhill when the train is behind, though to go more than 2-3 over, even incidentally, is to easily risk the wrath of the FRA. That said, I would almost be more surprised if the speed limits didn't occasionally get pushed at the back end of a highly-delayed train, particularly considering how much time they sometimes seem to make up out of the blue.

I would almost be more surprised if the speed limits didn't occasionally get pushed at the back end of a highly-delayed train, particularly considering how much time they sometimes seem to make up out of the blue.
While it was very true in the past, currently it is highly unlikely if the engineer wants to still be driving trains the next day.

We are now in the day of speed tapes, close FRA oversight, excessive litigation, etc. The amazing making up of time is usually due to slack in the schedule in that segment.

Don't know much about the Capital Limited's route, but for that of the Texas Eagle, which is almost all Union Pacific who's employee timetables were available on-line (but not from them) a few years back, the speed limits are:

Chicago to St. Louis: 79 mph

St. Louis to Poplar Bluff MO: 60 mph

Poplar Bluff to Ft. Worth: 75 mph

Ft. Worth to Temple TX: 79 mph (this part on BNSF)

Temple to San Antonio: 70 mph

The limits are the maximum wihin the limits given. There are numerous lower speed limits within each of these sections due to curves, etc.

The reason St. L to PB is so low is the nature of the terrain. Even in the days of the Missouri Pacific's Eagles it was never faster. Much of this length is at speeds below 60 mph.

There is a slight tolerance in the speeds. An engineer going 80 or 81 in a 79 mph zone will not be disciplined for doing so. However, going 81 vs 79 doesn't make up time. Trains make up time "out of the blue" due to recovery time built into the schedule, not due to engineers going faster than the limit.

Other top speeds:

Empire Corridor between Hudson and Albany 110 including LSL.

I believe there is some 90mph between LAX and San Diego, but I am not sure.

I saw on a documentary once (I believe on Discovery Channel) about the GE Genesis that if the train exceeds 83 miles per hour in a 79 zone, an alarm sounds for a few seconds and then, if the engineer does not acknowledge it and decelerate, the train goes into full service braking.

I doubt, therefore that the Cap was doing 87, bursts or otherwise.

Other top speeds:

Empire Corridor between Hudson and Albany 110 including LSL.

I believe there is some 90mph between LAX and San Diego, but I am not sure.
Yes, a few stretches along the coast in south Orange County and north San Diego county. Some are coincidentally close enough to I-5 to taunt the people stuck in traffic. :)

I saw on a documentary once (I believe on Discovery Channel) about the GE Genesis that if the train exceeds 83 miles per hour in a 79 zone, an alarm sounds for a few seconds and then, if the engineer does not acknowledge it and decelerate, the train goes into full service braking.
And if that happens, the next career phrase for that Engineer may well be "Would you like to super-size that order?" :(

It was menetioned on the trains unlimited progroam on the History Channel about the Emprire Builder.

Let's not forget that the Cardinal, Crescent, Silver Meteor, Silver Star, and while not technically Long Distance, the Palmetto, Vermonter and Carolinian all make 110 MPH (125 for Vermonter) between Washington and New York.

Rafi

Last edited by a moderator:
That is correct, the engine computers are programed for the maximum authorized speed for that run. Any prolonged running, meaning more than a minute or two, will set off that alarm and start the clock running on the full service braking.

Now on occasion it can happen that somehow the computer doesn't get set for the correct run. Like for example, a late running SW Chief which is allowed 90 MPH sends its loco over to the Capitol and there is no time to reset the computer for the lower speed. In that case it would technically be possible for the engineer to go over the speed limit. But then as noted by Trogdor, if that log gets pulled and checked or if there happens to be an FRA official standing trackside with a speed gun at the right spot, that engineer will have some explaining to do.

Let's not forget that the Cardinal, Crescent, Silver Meteor, Silver Star, and while not technically Long Distance, the Palmetto, Vermonter and Carolinian all make 110 MPH (125 for Vermonter) between Washington and New York.

Rafi
I believe the only off NEC LD train that hits 100+ is the Lake Shore limited. Of course all the LDs that run on the NEC hit 110. And actually they are smoother at 110 on the NEC than at 79 on certain host railroad that we are familiar with :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back