Toilets and Toilet Paper on Amtrak (Merged)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

roomette

Lead Service Attendant
It's really okay to bring these on board and flush them?

91EDguZ1pAL._SY450_AA450_PIbundle-24,TopRight,0,0_AA450_SH20_.jpg

I'd have asked this question in the thread where it was suggested, however it's been locked.
t_locked.png

From what I've heard and read, only the toilet paper Amtrak provides should be flushed.

I would think not. Could cause blockage when emptying tanks, or recirculating. Would throw then in trash, rather than risking killing he system on the car.
Yeah, I'd lean towards the "trash can" method of disposal.

From what I've heard and read, only the toilet paper Amtrak provides should be flushed.
Um...that's the *only* thing that should be flushed???? ^_^

The vacuum toilet system can be easily clogged with paper towels, disposable diapers, sanitary napkins, etc. That is why despite the warning signs, the disabled toilets on the train is an all too common occurrance. Cruise ships have a similar problem, as do airliner's.

Best to only use the provided toilet paper.

See Forum Manager Comments about this below
Posted Today, 07:38 AM

Because these threads are getting locked and there is still more discussion to be had, I'm starting A NEW THREAD.
the_traveller, PLEASE DON'T lock this thread unless you get the concurrence from THREE other moderators!

roomette: The reason why many wipey companies advertise "flushable" wipes is for the home. For the most part, even at home, you should only flush with toilet paper. "Flushable Wipes" are generally thinner and go down easier than traditional wipes. But that is intended for the home on a traditional plumbing system. If you have a septic system, you need to flush things that are safe for a septic system.

I really don't want to gross anyone out here. But there are components in a "blue water" tank that would make flushing difficult if it is over stuffed with foreign objects. In a vacuum system, generally the outflow plumbing is two inches in diameter - about half that of what you have in a home system.

To finish out the conversation, the only "other" thing that should ever go in an Amtrak toilet is Amtrak toilet paper. Feminine hygene materials, used wipes, paper towels, etc., should ALL be thrown away in the trash can. Though I can't be a one man crusade for this, I believe that paper towels should go in the big cardboard trash cans and everything else in the tiny cans next to the sink. Frankly, I'm quite surprised that Amtrak doesn't have separate feminine disposal containers.

Anyways, there is a lot that an unlocked thread can help to educate each other on the way Amtrak toilets work, and if it can keep the toilet from getting clogged on the Palmetto after a 17 hour run (no pun intended), I'm all for helping spreading the word.

Last edited by a moderator:
Years ago I would travel in motorhomes and we HAD to use special toilet paper for the same reasons.

I was told by a plumber cleaning out my home sewer pipe (due to back up) that I should NOT flush wipes down the toilet. I have stopped and have not had any more problems with back up.

I agree with you wholeheartedly. We have only begunto travel by train and love it. Not flying anywhere anymore! The roomettes we have rented were great and the bathrooms were clean too. But the state of the coach bathrooms has been a big disappointment. I am amazed at people's bathrooms habits and not picking up after themselves. We ride the Long Shore Limited to get anywhere our west and usually start out in coach at Roc heading west. So we board a full trian that has been traveling for a while. I do not look forward to this part of the trip solely besause of the bathrooms. Comfort wise I think coach is great. But I bursh my teeth and wash up at the sattion before we board (11pm) so I don't need to use the bathroom until morning when we switch to a roomette. Femenine products and paper towels stuffed in the toilet is unexcuseable and disgusting. More signs, (more picture signs with a line thourgh it ) and maybe even a small handout to boarding passengers about taking care of YOUR trian while you ride on it. Or stick it in the seat pocket.

This should be an ongoing thread.

See Forum Manager Comments about this below
Posted Today, 07:38 AM

Because these threads are getting locked and there is still more discussion to be had, I'm starting A NEW THREAD.
the_traveller, PLEASE DON'T lock this thread unless you get the concurrence from THREE other moderators!

roomette: The reason why many wipey companies advertise "flushable" wipes is for the home. For the most part, even at home, you should only flush with toilet paper. "Flushable Wipes" are generally thinner and go down easier than traditional wipes. But that is intended for the home on a traditional plumbing system. If you have a septic system, you need to flush things that are safe for a septic system.

I really don't want to gross anyone out here. But there are components in a "blue water" tank that would make flushing difficult if it is over stuffed with foreign objects. In a vacuum system, generally the outflow plumbing is two inches in diameter - about half that of what you have in a home system.

To finish out the conversation, the only "other" thing that should ever go in an Amtrak toilet is Amtrak toilet paper. Feminine hygene materials, used wipes, paper towels, etc., should ALL be thrown away in the trash can. Though I can't be a one man crusade for this, I believe that paper towels should go in the big cardboard trash cans and everything else in the tiny cans next to the sink. Frankly, I'm quite surprised that Amtrak doesn't have separate feminine disposal containers.

Anyways, there is a lot that an unlocked thread can help to educate each other on the way Amtrak toilets work, and if it can keep the toilet from getting clogged on the Palmetto after a 17 hour run (no pun intended), I'm all for helping spreading the word.

First off - this isn't your forum and you don't tell us how to run it. While we always appreciate members input, the decision on these things is ours.

Second, how do you know Dave hasn't already discussed with the staff about locking a thread?

Third - this is one of the most lenient boards on the internet in letting topics wander away from the original topic. And, that happens a lot, here.

Fourth - we will lock a thread if it gets to the place where the discussion has reached the point of being uncivil, indecent, or too political.

Fifth, At least FOUR mods/admins have agreed with Dave on the topic locking he has recently done.

I was the one who locked several of them myself because they passed the point of being so indecent that even I was embarrassed to read the comments.

Further questions - send me a PM.

Thanks - MrFSS

Methinks a few people are overly obsessed with matters of toilets, to the point of getting ticked off because their personal toilet thread got locked. Perhaps a harking back to a stage in ones personal growth that was missed? :p :p :help: Now I shall duck and let the **** fly by overhead :)

This is a topic that can (and usually does) go south.

I appreciate the mods taking the initiative to stop it when it does.

There is really very little that needs to be said on this topic.

It doesn't have to go south. It doesn't have to go down the drain. Quite frankly, I wish Amtrak would make it more clear to the travelling public why it's important to follow the rules.

Here at work, for some dumb reason, people keep flushing PAPER TOWELS down the toilet. It has caused MASSIVE backup where over 400 people work. Can you imagine the cost to send 400 people home for half a day because of sewage back up? We solved the problem by putting in a simple placard that read "Don't Flush Paper Towels - They Will Back Up the Sewage!" Some nice (decent) clip art complimented the message.

I really beleive that a lot of the problems come from the fact that we are too embarassed to talk about necessary subjects.

MrFss...

Excuse me but you don't own the thread either. I'm really tired of mods closing threads for no reason...

I am reopening this topic on suggestion of a valuable member here on the forum who believes there is more to be said and know on this topic, which is relevant to Amtrak travel. But, if if it takes a turn south, as other topics in this area have, it will probably be re-locked.

Thanks!!!

I PM'd MrFss and I think we have a mutual understanding. I would encourage you to PM him as well. Instead of trying to edit this thread to make it look like it never happened, I apologize for my terse initiation of this conversation. Meanwhile, as it looks like this thread can stay so long as it remains relevant, I encourage that.

I hope future Amtrak restroom designs will continue to follow the course of where society is headed. The new Viewliners are a great example of what was acceptable 30-50 years ago (not saying the VL are that old, just come from that design heritage) is no longer appropriate.

The only thing I would have changed is to give the thread a subject that allowed people to intelligently choose to read it or not.

"It's Really Okay?" seems to be intentionally vague in order to trick people into reading something they otherwise wouldn't.

Maybe in the future intentionally vague subjects shouldn't be allowed for this very reason.

I know that it may seem silly - but those travel wipes are really intended for use in port-a-potties or regular flush toilets where there are no supplies provided. On amtrak, I would line your seat with Amtrak TP. IF these liners don't have the center piece that sits in the commode, it would be OK to use, so long as you throw it away in the trashcan.

They have seat covers in the restrooms - no need to bring your own.

I would assume that the seat covers provided on the train are flushable because the center section of the cover goes into the bowl.

I've seen them on every train, a few times the container was empty but they have them.

I've used them too but usually use a wipe and throw the wipe away instead.

The container is hanging on the wall by the toilet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back