Toilet Locks

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RRUserious

OBS Chief
On my recent trips, I've gone into a toilet, slid the lock, and then had someone turn the knob outside and just open the door on me. Are all these locks broken? Seems like when the ceiling lights are on, people don't know to look for them, either. Too bad the doors can't open in, but with the tiny size of the room, I guess that's physically impossible.

Sometimes, the lock just doesn't "catch"! Many times, I've had to try over and over until it locks!
mad.gif
But many people don't care - they try once and that's it. I've walked into "occupied" rest rooms a few times myself.
ohmy.gif

Sometimes, the lock just doesn't "catch"! Many times, I've had to try over and over until it locks!
mad.gif
But many people don't care - they try once and that's it. I've walked into "occupied" rest rooms a few times myself.
ohmy.gif

I guess you gotta carry your roll of duct tape with you when you use the dunny. :D

What corks me is the people who don't latch the door closed when they leave the toilet, allowing the door to swing open and bang. There used to be a Lounge Attendant on the Heartland Flyer who made a special point of reminding passengers to latch the doors closed behind them when they leave because one time a child got "trapped" in the john when the opposite door stayed open. She was far from happy from the screaming and panicking that followed and made sure she didn't have to go through that again.

On my recent trips, I've gone into a toilet, slid the lock, and then had someone turn the knob outside and just open the door on me. Are all these locks broken? Seems like when the ceiling lights are on, people don't know to look for them, either. Too bad the doors can't open in, but with the tiny size of the room, I guess that's physically impossible.
The light probably does not come on unless the door is actually locked to activate the sensor.

The light probably does not come on unless the door is actually locked to activate the sensor.
That is correct!

But I can promise you that most passengers don't even know that there are lights to look at. Most people are looking at the door itself, and more specifically the door handle. They're not looking up at the ceiling for a tiny little yellow/orange light.

Only discovered the lights myself on the last trip. The train was at 100 percent, two bathrooms stopped working, people were walking from car to car looking for an open working bathroom, and that made me more observant. When your traveling on something that doesn't stop and let you off for a relief break, availability eventually becomes a pretty important thing. Since I'm doing a plane trip, I think I need to find out if they ever rescinded the rule that came from the underwear bomber where there were blackout periods for bathroom use. (Travel just gets more complicated every time you look)

RRUserious said:
1341995945[/url]' post='379389']Since I'm doing a plane trip, I think I need to find out if they ever rescinded the rule that came from the underwear bomber where there were blackout periods for bathroom use. (Travel just gets more complicated every time you look)
At least they don't make you remove your underwear at "Security" and put it thru the X-Ray, like they do shoes!
ohmy.gif

RRUserious said:
1341995945[/url]' post='379389']Since I'm doing a plane trip, I think I need to find out if they ever rescinded the rule that came from the underwear bomber where there were blackout periods for bathroom use. (Travel just gets more complicated every time you look)
At least they don't make you remove your underwear at "Security" and put it thru the X-Ray, like they do shoes!
ohmy.gif
That's only required if one is seated in the Penthouse Suite!!

I find that sometimes you have to pull on the door to slide the lock all the way. To me, it is pretty obvious when the lock has slid all the way to locked. But you can always test it to see if you can open the door.

I like the refurbished Superliner I sleepers that have a light also on the INSIDE to tell you that it is locked.

I've taken to knocking on the bathroom door first even if I'm pretty sure it's unoccupied. Saves embarrassment for both me and the person inside.

But yeah, I've had people try to walk into the bathroom when I was in it a few times.

After many years of traveling on Amtrak I still get a little bit anxious that I'll get locked inside the bathroom.
Being locked inside a restroom, even if not claustrophobic, can still create a lot of anxiety for most people. Especially since modern restrooms have no frosted windows.

It is especially bad when a child gets locked inside. Fortunately, most locks now can be opened with a simple ball point pen to slide the lock via the 'occupied/vacancy' slot on the outside.... Older restrooms required an Adlake coach key, or worse yet, had to have the lock/latch removed with tools.

Sometimes the latch wiggles loose as the train is bouncing around and shaking. I just make sure to hang onto the door latch as best I can, but I realize this isn't an option for everyone (particularly men).

It would be nice if the doors opened inward, so you could prop your foot against it, but oh man... those restrooms are such a tight squeeze as it is. I can't imagine trying to shut a door while I'm in there. I'd have to stand on the toilet.
unsure.gif

Since I'm doing a plane trip, I think I need to find out if they ever rescinded the rule that came from the underwear bomber where there were blackout periods for bathroom use. (Travel just gets more complicated every time you look)
ohmy.gif
I thought the blackout periods on trains for bathroom use, were due to mechanical reasons, not security reasons. Such as when the engine is being swapped out (and thus no power).

Sometimes the latch wiggles loose as the train is bouncing around and shaking. I just make sure to hang onto the door latch as best I can, but I realize this isn't an option for everyone (particularly men).

It would be nice if the doors opened inward, so you could prop your foot against it, but oh man... those restrooms are such a tight squeeze as it is. I can't imagine trying to shut a door while I'm in there. I'd have to stand on the toilet.
unsure.gif
You could always put you foot against the bottom of the door and thus put some pressure on it. That would help keep this from happening. Though, that has never happened to me.

This is about a roomette, not a toilet, but I have a story from a few years ago on a Viewliner.

The person in the roomette across the hall from me was about to leave ("de-train"). He followed the instructions to stay seated in one's room until the train comes to a complete stop.

Just as the train was coming to a full stop, the jolt caused his roomette door to slide/slam shut, and apparently lock. He could not unlock it, and thus, could not open it.

Beyond the panic of being trapped, he also had the panic of this being his stop and he had to leave. Of course, the service attendant was outside by the car's door, doing his work there.

I had to go across the hallway, and open his door for him. :giggle:

Only discovered the lights myself on the last trip. The train was at 100 percent, two bathrooms stopped working, people were walking from car to car looking for an open working bathroom, and that made me more observant. When your traveling on something that doesn't stop and let you off for a relief break, availability eventually becomes a pretty important thing. Since I'm doing a plane trip, I think I need to find out if they ever rescinded the rule that came from the underwear bomber where there were blackout periods for bathroom use. (Travel just gets more complicated every time you look)
It only applied to flights in and out of Washington Reagon (DCA), and it is long gone.

It only applied to flights in and out of Washington Reagon (DCA), and it is long gone.
Let me get this straight. An incident happens on a flight to Detroit. Homeland Security imposes a new rule and applies it to WASHINGTON? Now, I know better than to expect logic, but I hope people can see the obvious problem here. Was it the Homeland Security management trying to protect ITSELF? You don't have a link to where you found this out?

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back