To hell in a handbasket on the Union Pathetic

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trogdor

BURNiNATOR
Train 2(17), the eastbound Sunset Limited, departed Los Angeles yesterday on time at 2:30 pm (Amtrak did its job).

In the next 106 miles (scheduled running time 2:36), the train proceeded to lose 12 hours due to UP congestion.

The train was scheduled out of PSN (Palm Springs) at 5:06 pm yesterday evening. It departed this morning, at 5:01 *AM*.

Here's a quote from someone with more info:

Gene Poon said:
Okay, this Train 2(17) stuff is ugly.
Train 2(17) departed LAUPT on time at 230pm.  At Bassett, it stopped and

backed up into the clear at El Monte to allow four UPs to clear, then

proceeded.  It was 1 hr 49 min late at Pomona, and 1 hr 47 min late at

Ontario.  Three miles out of Ontario at 515pm, the train stopped for UP

freight congestion, and sat.  To make matters worse, the train has

sixteen standees aboard.  Estimated arrival time at Palm Springs has

been pushed back several times; the one currently given by Amtrak was 40

minutes ago.

Train 1(14) was ugly, too.  The train apparently ran out of food.  The

plan was to put food aboard at Ontario, but it ran into UP congestion,

first estimated at three hours by Omaha; it turned out to be six hours.

Arrival at Ontario wasn't until 1000pm.  Apparently they must have

loaded the food anyway, because the train sat there for 31 minutes.

Don't know how much of that food actually got eaten, because the final

arrival at LAUPT was less than an hour after departure from Ontario.

UP has ties to Bushie/Cheney as well. I know the lines busy but theres no excuse. Along with funding Amtrak, Congress needs to order the railroads to run Amtrak on time (within reason).

The only way that's ever going to happen is if the railroads are fined for poor performance, just as they get rewarded, or if the governement takes over dispatching FAA style, niether of which is likely to happen.

Actually I imagine UP is just following W's orders to make passenger train travel as unreliable and inconvenient and unpopular as possible to guard against the possibility that it might actually be successful. And UP probably has W's promise that he is putting the stake into Amtrak's heart so shortly UP won't have to deal with it at all.

Anyone know how much Amtrak pays UP? Is it by the mile, per trip, a flat monthly fee? In other words, will UP really loose that much if Amtral stops paying them?

I think Amtrak has to pay UP regardless, but I believe there are on time incentives. But think about. Amtrak is having to pay OBS more when they're delayed, extra T&E crews for outlaws, T&E for more time on the train and setbacks (on the second set back you go on the clock for getting paid, but not hours of service). Not to mention boxed meals for PAX's if it gets that bad, any refunds or travel vouchers to unhappy PAX's. I think fines would make it worthwhile for host railroads to keep the trains rolling.

well, with the way the bush cheney folks work, i honestly don't believe it's a stretch to believe that they indeed encourage UP to do this. well, i don't mind a long train trip as long as there is food :)

I thought freight railroads were fined if it could be shown they were holding up Amtrak trains?

AmtrakFan said:
AMTRAK-P42 said:
Good ol' Union Pathetic, or Unlimited Parking, whatever you call em, they’re all true.
Or Utterly Pathetic. Folks UP had to pay Amtrak $100Million last year for delaying trains.
Aloha

Shouldn't these fines go to the delayed passenger??

Back