To all our east coast members

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the_traveler

Engineer
With the unwelcome visit of hurricane Sandy, let's all be safe out there! As of this post, it is still uncertain where landfall will be, but the best guess is NJ-NY area. The AU family has many members in that area, but actually the entire northeast will be affected! Let's be more concerned with other family members than with Amtrak this week!

As with Amtrak, let's expect the worst and hope for the best!

Thanks for the reminder. Yes, the rest of us will be thinking about you. We hope everyone stays safe, warm and dry.

My relatives in Maryland report that the early-voting locations are very busy, because of concerns that the storm might interrupt the election. Safety is first, but if you're in a place where early voting is available, I encourage you to vote now, and not wait until election day.

And may the staff and crew of the penthouse suite be safe and dry. Now its time to get back to storm prep. :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Those of us in North Carolina know how unpleasant, challenging, and occasionally dangerous these storms can be. Best wishes to people up the coast who don't see them so often.

Those of us in North Carolina know how unpleasant, challenging, and occasionally dangerous these storms can be. Best wishes to people up the coast who don't see them so often.
Ditto from those of us in Florida.

Thanks for the well wishes. I am on the north shore of Long Island babysitting for my grandchildren!!

We have a generator and I think I know how to operate it, so when we lost power, at least I can keep

the refrigerator operating.

Thanks for the well wishes. I am on the north shore of Long Island babysitting for my grandchildren!!

We have a generator and I think I know how to operate it, so when we lost power, at least I can keep

the refrigerator operating.
Just like with Irene, sounds like you're going to be in the thick of it. :huh: Good luck, and may the grandkids be kind to you. :p

The wind advisories are out. Roughly 36 hours of Tropical Storm force winds starting from 6am monday ending at 6pm Tuesday, with gusts of Category 1 Hurricane force possible for the middle 12 hours.
Now they are saying to expect 75mph gusts as early as 8am Monday in my neck of the woods. And it will allegedly last through Monday night. 5" to 10" of rain!

For those that know Point Pleasant Beach NJ, everything between the NJT tracks (Point Pleasant Beach Station and the beach has now been evacuated. They are wondering whether they will have to expand that area.

Hope NJCoastExpress is on high enough ground in the Amboys. Now theya re talking of 6' to 11' surge in New York Harbor and Raritan Bay.

flail.gif

flail.gif

flail.gif

flail.gif

:D

Email from the City of Alexandria:

For Monday, October 29, 2012, all Alexandria government facilities, public schools, courts, non-emergency services, and public transportation services are closed or cancelled. Essential employees should report to work as scheduled. All trash collection services (including refuse, recycling, and leaves) are suspended for Monday, October 29. Please check back here for updates about Tuesday. To the extent possible, please secure any trash and containers until collection resumes. For Monday, October 29, there will be no DASH, Metrobus, Metrorail, VRE, Amtrak, or MARC service in the region. Public safety services, including 911, police, fire, sheriff, and jail services will operate as scheduled. Please prepare now for the possibility that you will be without power for several days. If your power goes out, Dominion Virginia Power will not know about it unless you report it at 1.866.DOM-HELP...
Put on your life vests and batten down the hatches, the perfect storms a'comin....

44 above the sea level, kind of tucked behind a hill from the bay, with nearest tree at least 100 ft away. As long I don't get hit by flying debris I should be fine.

I am 72 feet above sea level here on Long Island and about 1 mile from Manhasset Bay.

My home in Chatham is about 400 feet above sea level and my house is on a hill.

When Irene hit, I had two trees fall on my roof, not because of high winds but because

the ground was so saturated that the roots could no longer support the trees.

I am happy to hear that Piotr and Shanghai are safe and dry and hope everyone else is too. My sister, in Columbia, Maryland, has had 4 inches of rain so far, but still has power. The winds are about 45 mph and she almost got "blown away" when walking the dogs. She informed me that schools will be closed tomorrow in Howard County.

My power came on a few minutes ago surprisingly earlier then they said it would. So many places in my area were hit very hard from this storm, but at least my home was spared any real damage.

:hi: Hope All our AU Friends in the NE are Safe, Dry and Warm! Seems like only a few days ago we were riding around New Jersey and Delaware and Pennsylvania on the Rails, for sure it will be awhile before this will be possible again, but at least the Loss of lLfe was Low! "Stuff" can be replaced, People can't! Hang in there, as a veteran of several Hurricanes I can assure you that this too will Pass! ;)

A glint of sunshine is appearing here in Ohio today. Hope it will soon come your way in the East and bring some comfort to the troubled. It is difficult to imagine the destruction that has taken place. Wishing you all the best and a speedy recovery. Be safe~~

I hope the same to everyone, both in the AU family and outside! Although I have been without power since Monday, I consider myself very lucky! :) My property suffered no damage at all.

Less than 1/2 mile from me - on just 1 street - numerous trees are down across the road and thus the power lines are down also. :( And one house even had a tree - at least 2-3 feet in diameter - fall on their roof! :( And about 5-10 miles away, 3 entire homes had seaside property but now are probably on the way to Bermuda! The entire house was washed out to sea! :eek: And less then 20 miles west is a town that is a complete disaster area! :(

And all this is not in NJ, not in NY - but in Rhode Island, nowhere near the center of the storm! That's what 80+ MPH winds and 10-15+ foot waves on a south facing ocean beach can do!

So I feel for everyone affected!

My thoughts go out to Dick, who is still in Long Island with his 3 grandchildren. They have no power and and he texted me this morning to say that it is cold. His daughter is due back in town tomorrow, however, he has no power in his New Jersey home and likely will stay at his daughter's house in Long Island a bit longer. Also, he did not take a key to his house with him, and will not be able to get in with his garage door opener until he has power at this New Jersey home. His wife is currently taking care of an ailing elderly father.

As far as I know, all my family members are ok. We are very fortunate. I send my best wishes to those of you that do not have electricity or are otherwise hurting.

Back