Time to book the Auto Train

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
We are downstairs on both legs (13 & 14 southbound and the family bedroom north) so the population of passengers should be low. We probably will never see the car attendant, but at least it should be quiet.
I've never encountered a bad car attendant on the AT, so I'm sure that you'll see your's more than once. The AT crews don't come from the normal pool of Amtrak employees and operate under a different contract. For that reason Amtrak has been able to gather some of the best crews in its system on the AT.

In fact the best attendant that I've ever had was one that I encountered on the Auto Train. :)

We probably will never see the car attendant, but at least it should be quiet.
I've never encountered a bad car attendant on the AT, so I'm sure that you'll see your's more than once. The AT crews don't come from the normal pool of Amtrak employees and operate under a different contract. For that reason Amtrak has been able to gather some of the best crews in its system on the AT.

In fact the best attendant that I've ever had was one that I encountered on the Auto Train. :)
Thank you for your glowing recommendation of the crew of the Auto Train. The basis of my belief that I'll be ignored by the attendant is on the Sunset Limited, my wife and I had room #13 downstairs in the superliner sleeper.

We were the only ones on the lower deck. The Family Bedroom and three other roomettes were empty. Other than boarding and exiting the train, I never saw the attendant (I think he thought that the lower area was empty), and becasue this was my first trip in a sleeper, I did not know that there was an attendant.

If the auto train is as popular as I have been lead to believe, we should not be alone down below.

Rick

Last edited by a moderator:
The Auto Train attendants are a great group of people. They are very friendly and hard working folks that really live up to their job descriptions. The attendant stops at every room to do a welcome, find out bed make up times, and so on and so forth. The only time the attendants are a little hard to find is during dinner hours when they have obligations in the Dining Car, but if you have a make up that needs to be done it will still be done. Obviously if there is an issue go in the Dining Car and alert someone to the issue and they will most likely be very attentive in getting the issue resolved.

I found my way over to the train station with a wad of $100 bills to pick up the tickets. The tickets came in a nice brochure that gave directions to the statons, special auto train rules (no checked baggage, be there by two, traffic on the beltway is nasty, etc.) car lay outs, and other useful information. I was impressed.

The jacket also had an ad for the restrauant across the street from the Lorton Terminal and the Comfort Inn down the road. Maybe I'll look at the room rates at the Comfort Inn and avoid the all night drive.

The tickets confirm that we have two roomettes downstairs on the way south and the family bedroom (#15) north. My van has a ticket too!

Rick

I found my way over to the train station with a wad of $100 bills to pick up the tickets. The tickets came in a nice brochure that gave directions to the statons, special auto train rules (no checked baggage, be there by two, traffic on the beltway is nasty, etc.) car lay outs, and other useful information. I was impressed.
That special ticket jacket/brouchure is one of the reasons that you can't pick up the tickets from a QuikTrak machine. You'll note that there is even a place on that jacket where they'll write down the "number" that they'll assign your van upon checkin. That number will also be on a magnetized rubber placard that will be placed on the driver's door. Upon arrival in Florida, they'll call off those numbers as the cars are unloaded so that you'll know when to leave the waiting area and retrieve your van.

The jacket also had an ad for the restrauant across the street from the Lorton Terminal and the Comfort Inn down the road. Maybe I'll look at the room rates at the Comfort Inn and avoid the all night drive.
There are other hotels in that general area too, so you might want to search around in that general area for the best rate. You could also consider driving halfway down and then stopping for the night, just to break up the drive a bit.

My van has a ticket too!
Yes it does, however they won't expect your van to hand the ticket over. :lol: They will however expect you to do so, just like they expected you and not your van to pay for its transport. :p By the way in all seriousness, that special ticket for the auto is where Amtrak hides the cost of providing free meals for all of the passengers on the train, even those in coach.

Whatever you do don't stay at the Comfort Inn in Alexandria. Heck, skip Alexandria altogether. Sketchiest place ever. The Comfort Inn in Lorton looked nice (and in a nice area) or look at the Woodbridge area.

Alan:

Thanks for your comments. As to my van needing a ticket, As long as my van is earning me AGR points, I'm OK with that.

I think it is interesting that they are burying the cost of the food in the railfare for the van. I'd think that they would put that cost in the rail fare. The food is a variable cost, based on the number of mouths I put in the van and bring on the train with me. However the cost of hauling the van seems to be fixed. I guess Amtrak has done the math and assumed that I will fill the van with mouths and profit off the single traveler with a car.

One place where I'm reasonably certain they are not burying the cost of the food is in the price of the sleeper. The Auto train has the cheapest sleepers I've seen on Amtrak.

Finally, I'm surprised that the lone ticket agent at WOR had the fancy jacket. We are hundreds of miles from Lorton, VA at a station that outside the holidays, probably seees six to eight passengers a day. Worcester is primaraly used by MBTA, and after telling the customers in line ahead of me that the MBTA ticket office is across the hall, the Amtrak clerk asked me if I was sure I wanted an Amtrak ticket. When I told him that it was the Auto Train and that I had my rez number, his ears perked up. Seems he does not print many auto train tickets and was somewhat mistified by the van's ticket.

He was also not really pleased to see my pile o'cash, but I had the exact amount, so he was glad he did not have to make change. He probably does not have that much cash in the drawer. He sees so many credit card tickets that he made me sign the tickets even though becasue of the cash sale, they did not say "sign here". Not wanting to **** off a clerk (rule number one of lawyering: You can jerk with a judge, don't **** off the clerks) I signed the tickets.

I'm quite excited about this trip. Now I've got six months to kill before the midnight drive.

Rick

Thanks for your comments. As to my van needing a ticket, As long as my van is earning me AGR points, I'm OK with that.
Yes, your AGR number should be on the van's ticket and you should indeed earn 2 points for every dollar.

I think it is interesting that they are burying the cost of the food in the railfare for the van. I'd think that they would put that cost in the rail fare. The food is a variable cost, based on the number of mouths I put in the van and bring on the train with me. However the cost of hauling the van seems to be fixed. I guess Amtrak has done the math and assumed that I will fill the van with mouths and profit off the single traveler with a car.
One place where I'm reasonably certain they are not burying the cost of the food is in the price of the sleeper. The Auto train has the cheapest sleepers I've seen on Amtrak.
Amtrak normally burries the food cost in the accomodation charges, but since those riding in coach have no accomodation charge in which to hide it, it was instead burried in the auto charges.

Finally, I'm surprised that the lone ticket agent at WOR had the fancy jacket. We are hundreds of miles from Lorton, VA at a station that outside the holidays, probably seees six to eight passengers a day. Worcester is primaraly used by MBTA, and after telling the customers in line ahead of me that the MBTA ticket office is across the hall, the Amtrak clerk asked me if I was sure I wanted an Amtrak ticket. When I told him that it was the Auto Train and that I had my rez number, his ears perked up. Seems he does not print many auto train tickets and was somewhat mistified by the van's ticket.
I'm not that surprised he had one, most stations on the east coast get at least a few of the jackets in their normal supply order. If some agent in say Portland Oregon had one, that would surprise me. And as for the extra ticket for the van, that is the only way that Amtrak can account for the revenue.

He was also not really pleased to see my pile o'cash, but I had the exact amount, so he was glad he did not have to make change. He probably does not have that much cash in the drawer. He sees so many credit card tickets that he made me sign the tickets even though becasue of the cash sale, they did not say "sign here". Not wanting to **** off a clerk (rule number one of lawyering: You can jerk with a judge, don't **** off the clerks) I signed the tickets.
On that point he was indeed wrong and I personally would have pointed out to him the fine print that says "I acknowledge the billing to my credit card" or something to that effect.

He was also not really pleased to see my pile o'cash, but I had the exact amount, so he was glad he did not have to make change. He probably does not have that much cash in the drawer. He sees so many credit card tickets that he made me sign the tickets even though because of the cash sale, they did not say "sign here". Not wanting to **** off a clerk (rule number one of lawyering: You can jerk with a judge, don't **** off the clerks) I signed the tickets.
Rick - not really any of my business, but was there a reason for paying cash when you could have gotten some type of credit card reward points for the amount you paid? Think of all the AGR points the trip would have generated.

I've got a question that somebody on here may know. As I mentioned above, I purchased passage for my Ford Windstar on the AT. When I made the rez, they took down the make and model of my car.

Suppose I rolled into Lorton with a Ford Crown Victoria instead of a Windstar. Since the Minivan costs more than the Crown Vic, there should not be any issues as to money. I'm worried about a potential bureaucratic nightmare of arriving in the wrong kind of car.

Is this a problem? Anybody ever done this?

Rick

I wouldn't think there would be an issue. But if you do change cars you may try changing your reservation and try to get some refund.

I wouldn't think there would be an issue. But if you do change cars you may try changing your reservation and try to get some refund.
I agree, I'd try asking for a refund if you don't have the van, especially if you know about it before you leave home. It used to be a bigger problem before the new car carriers, where they had specific carriers for cars, and special one for vans/SUV's. Now with the new carriers, they are all the same. They just charge more in part because that's what they've always done, in part because of the added weight.

Surely this is an issue Amtrak must see with some frequency, since vehicles break down, they get replaced with new ones, they have accidents and end up in the shop, etc. It would make no more sense to make an issue of this than if you decided to take different luggage than what you originally had planned on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back