ticket change

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gabbygrrl

Train Attendant
I have decided I want to upgrade to BC on 1 segment of our trip (NYP to BOS)-however, when I called I was told that in order to "change" our tickets for the upgrade, the entire rez would have to be re-booked. Is this true? Should I call again and speak to a different agent? I know that the roomettes are sold out in both directions on the Crescent, our connecting train, so I certainly don't want to chance losing our room.

Would it make more sense to keep it all as-is and then try to make the upgrade change via the Amtrak app or phone call while we are on the way back, approaching NYC, and hope they still have BC available?

Hi,

It is actually true that you do have to change your coach ticket to the current published fare before you can upgrade to business class, it is kind of a tease! I think you will be fine in coach though for that segment. Are you on the 8:15 train 171 out of BOS? If you are, I take that train many times and find that I am able to have a set of seats to myself on the trip and occasionally have someone sit beside me from NHV to NYP which is null if you are travelling with someone. There have been times when I was booked in business (last week) and it was completely full yet coach was not, save your money and treat yourself to a nice dinner or breakfast when you get to ATL (Thumbs Up for breakfast!) Although I do really enjoy the extra leg room, foot stool, and general atmosphere of business class, I personally do not think it is worth paying the higher coach fare just to upgrade, only from the original bucket price. I really Hope you enjoy your trip!

BOS-T-Time

Last edited by a moderator:
Should not have to rebook the entire trip just to change one segment.

Should not have to rebook the entire trip just to change one segment.
Agreed! The agent does not need to rebook the entire trip to change that one segment. Do be aware however that rebooking from coach to BC could incur not only the upcharge for BC, but if the bucket for coach has been kicked you could find yourself paying more because of that too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back