Thruway Bus layover timing?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Austruck, I was looking at your trip listed on the upcoming trips. Is the Thruway bus the one that is 8 hours overnight from Santa Barbara to Emeryville? I would take the 2.5 to 3 hour bus from LAX to BFD

and then the San Joaquin to either Martinez or Stockton. Stockton has a bus to Sacramento. My favorite HI hostel is the one in Sacramento. The same CZ that you would be boarding in EMY you could board in Sacramento about 11AM.

Tickets bought and paid for nearly a month ago now, tomfuller. Yes, it is a thruway bus from Santa Barbara to Emeryville, where I will get the CZ. Probably couldn't easily change it now without possibly messing up other things before or after it, right? Or having it cost more?

I don't mind being on the bus that one night. Part of my (strange) thinking for this trip is to experience a little bit of everything (since I'm writing a book of essays specifically about the trip itself). So, I have some coach seats at first, then roomettes, hotel and hostel out west, short stint on the PS before the thruway bus, then the CZ's roomette and finally a full bedroom for the very last leg back home on the CL.

Tickets bought and paid for nearly a month ago now, tomfuller. Yes, it is a thruway bus from Santa Barbara to Emeryville, where I will get the CZ. Probably couldn't easily change it now without possibly messing up other things before or after it, right? Or having it cost more?

I don't mind being on the bus that one night. Part of my (strange) thinking for this trip is to experience a little bit of everything (since I'm writing a book of essays specifically about the trip itself). So, I have some coach seats at first, then roomettes, hotel and hostel out west, short stint on the PS before the thruway bus, then the CZ's roomette and finally a full bedroom for the very last leg back home on the CL.
I've helped friends book that trip. I went to pick them up, and it arrives in Emeryville right about when the station closes. The bus may have the markings of the bus company. They told us the bus had a meal break at McDonald's, I think in King City. There's also a few other places near that, although I don't know if you'll have enough time.

Where are you planning on staying in E-Ville?

The cost from LAX to Santa Barbara transferring to the 8 hour bus to Oakland is $59 leaving at 9:20AM. If you leave LAX at 10:30AM on the bus to Bakersfield you get to see the "grapevine" and ride up through the Central Valley on the San Joaquin to Stockton where you transfer to another bus for an hour to Sacramento arriving before 7PM. The fare is also $59.

I like my Amtrak bus trips in daylight. I also like sleeping horizontally when I can. The cost for the HI hostel would be extra but you can pick up something and make your own breakfast in the kitchen before heading to the Sacramento station (walking distance).

I've taken that overnight bus in each direction - Oakland to Santa Barbara a few years ago and Santa Barbara to Emeryville last October (yes it does go to EMY). The bus ride is not bad at all. (But I'd rather be on a train! :) ) And yes, the meal stop is at a 24 hour McDonalds in King City around 2-3 am.

Like Dave, I too have made this trip in both directions and found the ride on the Thruway Bus on 101 a very pleasant trip. (Much nicer than the train/bus shuttle through the Central Valley, but not as good as the Coast Starlight! )

Tickets bought and paid for nearly a month ago now, tomfuller. Yes, it is a thruway bus from Santa Barbara to Emeryville, where I will get the CZ.
According to the Thruway Bus 4785 schedule it stops at 4:20am in San Jose and 6:05am in Oakland but doesn't list Emeryville as a stop.
I tried a sample booking, and the 785/4785 combination does come up as arriving in Emeryville at 5:55 AM this Tuesday. The printed/PDF timetable is kind of odd since it overlaps where Capitol Corridor picks up. There's also the 769/4769 combination, which clearly comes up as arriving at Emeryville. I see the timetable says 10:55, but I'm getting 10:45 PM.

I just looked at my receipt. Thruway bus 4785 gets in to Emeryville approximately 5:55 AM and then I get on the CZ there around 9:10 AM. :)

Probably not going to bother to change anything at this point, though. I'm fine with what I have now, with just enough switches and changes to experience a little of everything without stressing me out over the possibilities of missing something or doing something wrong. :)

Probably not going to bother to change anything at this point, though. I'm fine with what I have now, with just enough switches and changes to experience a little of everything without stressing me out over the possibilities of missing something or doing something wrong. :)

There is quite a bit in the neighborhood now, if you're willing to walk to at least Hollis. I remember when Emeryville was mostly industrial businesses and there were new businesses like the Holiday Inn on a piece of infill. I also remember the Emeryville Mudflats and the various driftwood sculptures that were built. Things have actually come and gone over those years. Now there are upscale apartments.

As for a quick place to get something, I'd say Peet's Coffee has a flagship location right across from the train station via the pedestrian bridge. It should take about five minutes to get there. It's got ample seating, and they have a bar where they'll do pour over coffee for a little bit more than regular breed coffee from the urn. You can also select any coffee they have outside of their uber expensive special beans. I recommend the Arabian Mocha Sanani.

Thanks, Bob Dylan and BCL. Sounds like I'll have enough time that morning for a leisurely coffee and breakfast and some leg-stretching before heading out on the big stretch on the CZ. Glad to hear there are options right nearby. :)

Thanks, Bob Dylan and BCL. Sounds like I'll have enough time that morning for a leisurely coffee and breakfast and some leg-stretching before heading out on the big stretch on the CZ. Glad to hear there are options right nearby. :)
I used to hang out at the EmeryBay Public Market a lot while I was in college, and later on I used to work nearby. There were several breakfast options there, but most stalls were only open for lunch/dinner. Frankly I don't recognize it now. A few years back they brought a new tenant in and removed most of the food court stalls. It was always crowded during lunch, and got really crowded when there were personnel from the Oakland Army Base. There was a Mexican place that had a massive beans and rice burrito or plate for $2.50.

Peet's is different. It's separate from the food court area, although there's a door leading there.

Back