Things to take with you

Discussion in 'Amtrak FAQs & First-Time Rider Info' started by Rail Freak, Apr 15, 2008.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

1. Jul 12, 2018 #126

dogbert617

dogbert617

dogbert617

OBS Chief

On my last Amtrak trip(Capitol Limited from Chicago to Pittsburgh and back), I'm really glad I brought an inflatable pillow(that you blow up on your own) on that trip. It made it a lot easier to sleep for myself, since I don't sleep easily on Amtrak trains in coach per my experiences over the years. I still hadn't tried a sleeper(which I'll save potentially doing for those much longer Amtrak trips), but maybe I will one of these days.

2. Oct 26, 2018 #127

Rail_Gurlz

R

Rail_Gurlz

Train Attendant

We brought a power strip after seeing it mentioned here. It’s been very handy.

Also brought windex wipes though our windows were pretty clean.

3. Oct 27, 2018 #128

JRR

J

JRR

OBS Chief

We also carry an extension cord which allows us to “snake” the cord around the roomette so that the power strip lies between the table and window of the roomette. The gaffer tape helps keep it all in place.

piedpiper and cpotisch like this.
  4. Oct 27, 2018 #129

Rail Freak

Rail Freak

Rail Freak

Conductor

I just noticed, I'm the original poster here. It's been ten years now that I've been associated with this group!!! Do ya think that's Good or Bad??? [​IMG] I must say that I really enjoy it!!!

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 27, 2018
    F900ElCapitan, GreenRose and cpotisch like this.
  5. Jan 10, 2019 #130

Chatter163

Chatter163

Chatter163

OBS Chief

12 1/2 years a member for me.

6. Jun 9, 2019 #131

Matthew H Fish

M

Matthew H Fish

Train Attendant

I can't believe that nobody mentioned to bring some drugs with you!

Okay, calm down if you misinterpreted that :)

I always bring a little kit with some ibuprofen, dextromethorphan, and loporamide. (Advil, Robitussin and Immodium AD as the brand names). I don't want to get a bad headache, a coughing fit, or diarrhea on a long train trip.

Without getting into too many details, Loporamide/Immodium also makes it easier to hold defecation in, even if you don't have diarrhea. When I would rather not use the train bathrooms, I can take some and uh, it makes it easier to wait for my next real bathroom.

Misty. likes this.
  7. Jun 10, 2019 #132

anumberone

anumberone

anumberone

OBS Chief AU Supporter

Too much infomation for me.

GreenRose likes this.
  8. Jun 10, 2019 #133

GreenRose

GreenRose

GreenRose

This list hasn't gotten any less actual, worth a repost :)

dogbert617 likes this.
  9. Jul 12, 2019 #134

dogbert617

dogbert617

dogbert617

OBS Chief

Funny you mention windex wipes. Though honestly for me, it's too often the outside of windows on long distance Amtrak trains that were dirtier than I was hoping(sometimes making it a little tougher to pull off doing a photo of some scenery I'm passing by), vs. the inside of windows being an issue.

Looking back at this post from years ago, I always do a google search for those old 2000s/early 2010s Amtrak route guides for each of their long distance trains they used to publish, before those were discontinued during the(I suspect) Joe Boardman era, as likely a weird cost cutting measure. :( Found one for Empire Builder just before my trip a week ago, and I was so glad I found that so I could read info about those towns and cities the EB was passing through. Even info for places, the EB doesn't stop at and just passes through.

Never thought about bringing something like a safety pin on trips, but now I think I may try that in the future, in case I'm trying to close a curtain and can't do so all the way. That's a good idea to bring along, for future Amtrak trips.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2019

Draft saved Draft deleted