Things to do while waiting for the Cardinal in Charlottesville

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JackieTakestheTrain

Lead Service Attendant
Hello everyone!

In August, I am planning on going to a conference for work in Atlanta. I have already bought a ticket to go to Cincinnati about a week prior to the conference. It looks like I will leave Boston for Atlanta and on the return go from Atlanta to Charlottesville and then catch the Cardinal to Cincinnati.

My mom has taken the train out of Charlottesville and said that there isn't much to do around the station. I think the Cresent gets in around 7 a.m. and the Cardinal doesn't get in until about 2.

Any ideas on things to do while I wait? I will have luggage but don't plan to check it. Will they hold it for me while I go something?

Thanks!

-Jackie

When I did a layover (year before last) in CVS waiting on the Cardinal ( you do know the Card and Crescent run on different tracks with the platform on opposite sides of the Station?), there was still a "Wings" type cafe in the old station ( not sure what's there now?).

The friendly attendant watched my luggage ( for free) while I hopped a cab to the beautiful UoV Campus for a look around!I had lunch in a really nice pub, lots if those in this college town!( can't remember the name?) I then caught the Card which, as usual, was running late!

AU member "City of Miami" lives there, I'm sure he'll have some good current info! You might PM him!

As for Ryans comment, he's obviously not biased just because he went to school in Blacksburg and is a Hokie! LOL

Last edited by a moderator:
It is within walking distance of UVA which is an interesting campus. You might want to see the Rotunda and buildings/areas designed by Thomas Jefferson. I think the campus is on a former farm location owned by James Monroe. There are busses that circulate around through the campus and the downtown mall area and you wouldn't be too far from the train station. However August in Virginia might mean nothing is in walking distance! :)

There is a restaurant right there in the parking lot of the train station but since you'll be there for several hours you will most likely want to do something else. Train station isn't that large or comfortable for that matter.

There's a free shuttle bus which will take you from the station to campus (ahem, 'grounds'). Doesn't run on Sundays until 8 AM.

http://www.charlottesville.org/Index.aspx?page=3625

Catch it on the north side of Main Street (unless you want to loop through downtown).

The Rotunda and the 'Academical Village' are UNESCO World Heritage Sites. I know this because I've been on so many tours of that place that I've heard it so many times over. There's a museum within the Rotunda itself, which doubles as the administrative offices for the University.

Speaking for myself, I never have trouble killing time at a large university because I'll get amused enough by wandering through the labs and the libraries.

If it's still open, Gus's White Spot is a popular diner. There's some more mid-to-upper range places there along the 'Corner'.

Last year when I had a layover in CVS from the Crescent to the Card, I went to the UVA campus, explored it a bit, hit up Starbucks for a while, went to church, then headed up to the downtown mall for a light lunch and explored some shops. That pretty adequately kept us busy on a Sunday morning and early afternoon.

The free trolley does work well to get around town.

The other direction from campus is the pedestrian mall, Lots of shops and good food. Wings, next to the station, is still going strong. Has Wi-Fi. In August the deck on the rooftop is just beautiful. None of the noise from the sports bar inside and a great view of the tracks (in case you like trains:).

And, yes, you can leave your bags at the station.

See if you can place bets with the locals regarding 50's arrival time. :giggle:

My sister lives in C'ville and this is her reply:

There is a restaurant right there. The train station is within walking distance of the West Main Street area which is adjacent to the University of Virginia and the "Corner" area. Lots of shops and restaurants. A short cab drive to the Downtown Mall (or a pretty decent walk) would be a great way to spend time. I think Amtrak will hold luggage. A phone call would find out. If this person just walks up or down West Main Street there would be interesting things to see. A cab drive to Monticello is possible.

Dave

51 is seldom more than 15-20 minutes late if that. 20, on the other hand, is often late - sometimes several hours late.

I agree with the constructive remarks above. UVA students return around mid-August; Cville is a different place before and after. If you would like to spend some time together that morning I will probably be here and happy to do so. I live 3 blocks from the station, between the two tracks. :)

I might get a chance to see at least a little bit of Charlottesville myself in about a month. Thinking of changing my Cardinal trip plans to fly in to Charlottesville to take the Cardinal to Staunton for a couple of days before doing the full Cardinal to Chicago. Should net me about 2.5-3 hours in Charlottesville. Sounds like there are at least some good lunch options right around the station?

The taxi from the airport to the station will cost you at least $30 - about 15 minutes. There is no other way to get there. That annoys me so much I'd come get you myself if I had a car.......but I do not.

I don't go to either of the two closest eateries to the station: Wings, which is basically in the same building, and Mel's which is across W. Main St. Some of the other really nearby places are not open for lunch. You have many more options a 15 minute walk to the west to University Ave, the so-called Corner (the strip or drag for UVA). Or you can take the Free Trolley very near the station east for a 5 minute ride to the Downtown Mall, an outdoor pedestrian mall formerly the main street of the business district, which has many more varied lunch opps. The oldest historic part of town is also nearby which is very nice.

I took the Cardinal over to Staunton and back one day last summer when the trains were running in a way that made that trip work. It was a Sunday and I found Staunton to be almost totally dead on a Sunday. It was an interesting walk around but lonely.

Culpeper is also a quaint interesting town with the train station right downtown. You could fly into Regan airport (DCA) take Metro to ALX and get the Cardinal there as an option. I think the Cardinal leaves around noon.

The DCA-ALX plan was my initial plan before I thought of stopping somewhere along the Cardinal route. Hm. I may still do it. I have a bit of a tighter window to get from plane to train in the DCA/ALX setup; but then a coach ticket to Staunton from ALX costs about the same as just the taxi from CHO airport to downtown Charlottesville...

Hm.

Thanks for the input!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back