The two-bottles-of-water-per-person rule.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
According to my SCA it is two bottles per person per trip. So the people that boarded at CHI and got off in MSP got two bottles. I am going all the way to Portland and I am also allowed only two bottles.

As suggested by the SCA, I've been getting a bottle of water to go at the end of each meal.

Most other sleeping car passengers I've talked to are calling to complain about this. One said that the phone person told her they need everyone to call so that Amtrak will get the message.

They are also cutting off coffee about 10am.

And for those anti-bottled-water commenters, please remember to return your unopened bottles to the SCA when you board. Since you are fine with tap water, you can bring your aluminum bottle from home and fill it from the bathroom sink faucet. This will save Amtrak a lot of money. I suggest you bring a soft, washable cloth to use instead of toilet paper, too.

Well, as long as they continue to provide the "Universal Mixer" (orange juice), I will have no issue.

I've always found that a high proof whisky helps to ensure that both the 'tap' and bottled water on Amtrak are safe to drink, and not only that, it also makes them taste a whole lot better. :wub:

I don't really use the bottled water in the Sleeping cars for drinking water but, due to those damable push handle faucets in the restrooms of un- rehabbed Superliner restooms, use it to brush my teeth, ( dentures! LOL)wash my face and hands, take my meds etc. Once the small bottles are empty I refill them from the sink so as to not waste water and prevent water spraying everywhere!

I usually order a bottle of water with my meals but if Amtrak starts charging $2-$4 for a Nickels worth of Water, will stop this practice!

If I'm one one of the Western Trains for two days and nights, I feel that 2 bottles A DAY per sleeping car passenger, especially if they are the larger bottles, is fair!

Last edited by a moderator:
I've always found that a high proof whisky helps to ensure that both the 'tap' and bottled water on Amtrak are safe to drink, and not only that, it also makes them taste a whole lot better. :wub:
Dare ye introduce contaminants to fine whiskey? Unless the water is frozen, of course!

Actually, when I choose to imbibe with bourbon or whiskey, I tend to mix it with Co-Coler, and the wife prefers ginger ale. but, here recently we were introduced to a Texas whiskey called Rebeccah Creek. Wow, after chilling, and then serving in shot glasses out of the freezer, we may go to drinking ours "neat".

To keep on-topic, how are we supposed to battle a ferocious hangover when they ration water? Oh, the humanity!

The service manual says - 2 bottles of water per sleeper pax, per trip.

I was given 4 bottles of water - 2 at Denver (May 1), 2 in the morning (May 2), in a roomette by myself from Denver to Reno.

Plus a bonus - the previous sleeper pax left 1/4 bottle of white wine.

True that, though I prefer Lagavulin neat. I sanitize my ice cubes with gin.

I trust the pot-wat from the tanks -- more or less, if and when available.

The cop-shop (local lockup) gives more than two pint bottles per day to the un-indicted arrested persons, most of whom are released within 24 hours (it's the law)

And, yeah, I can see why Amtrak restricts bottled water -- pax who grab it all, limited space for the bottles, etc, etc.

Bring your own, if you can.

Get your rationed two bottles as soon as you can

Trust the on-board tanks - it's clean local water from wherever the tanks got filled.

True that, though I prefer Lagavulin neat. I sanitize my ice cubes with gin.
Prudent.I've found that Amtrak tank water is usually clean and pure enough to dilute Laphroaig. A bit. A small bit. But , if you like the other Islay - good.

Amtrak tank water aint Islay water, but it's almost always trustworthy.

Amtrak upgraded the bottled water in the sleepers on 4/29/15. They've gone from the 8oz Crystal Geyser to a 16.9oz Nestle PureLife bottle.
The Empire Builder arriving in Chicago yesterday still had the 8 ounce bottles. There were no bottles in the coffee area upstairs, but there was a (mostly empty) case in the luggage area downstairs.

Trust the on-board tanks - it's clean local water from wherever the tanks got filled.
For me, the only reason to drink bottled water is for the convenience of having a container. Bring you own bottle and fill 'er up. Most people can't tell the difference between bottled water and tap water anyway, and the tap water has fewer pollutants, bacteria, etc. (Google Penn & Teller on bottled water if you don't believe me).

Amtrak upgraded the bottled water in the sleepers on 4/29/15. They've gone from the 8oz Crystal Geyser to a 16.9oz Nestle PureLife bottle. As the employee service notice put it this change will provide, "improved value perception [...] in receiving larger bottles of complimentary water." So far, so good - an actual amenity improvement. Still limited to two bottles per person per trip, but at least the quantity of water more than doubled.

Here's the real reason for the change... Sleeper water is now a revenue item issued to the lounge LSA. At the end of each trip, the number of bottles used will be charged out as a First Class service item just like complimentary meals in the dining car. The water "revenue" will be transferred from sleepers to food and beverage "consistent with the corporation’s goal of improving cost recovery for Long Distance food & beverage services."

If the company eliminated the two bottle limit and priced the water at $20 per bottle, that would significantly reduce F&B losses! Hahaha.
Your comments in paragraph two were spot on. My SCA on the SWC was requested on the intercom by the Lounge Car Attendant to provide the remaining inventory count of the water bottles. On my recent cross country trip on the SWC and LSL there was no problem receiving water above the allowable limit.

For me, the only reason to drink bottled water is for the convenience of having a container. Bring you own bottle and fill 'er up. Most people can't tell the difference between bottled water and tap water anyway, and the tap water has fewer pollutants, bacteria, etc. (Google Penn & Teller on bottled water if you don't believe me).
What the bottled water contains depends on where it was bottled. I have actually tested bottled water against my home filtered tap water, and the bottled water always loses! I do have a rather capable GE filtering system installed at the point where the water main enters my house.

I trust the pot-wat from the tanks -- more or less, if and when available.

The cop-shop (local lockup) gives more than two pint bottles per day to the un-indicted arrested persons, most of whom are released within 24 hours (it's the law)

And, yeah, I can see why Amtrak restricts bottled water -- pax who grab it all, limited space for the bottles, etc, etc.

Bring your own, if you can.

Get your rationed two bottles as soon as you can

I have been bringing some of my own ever since the time I found mold on the 'pot-wat' spout of an empty tank in a sleeper car last year. But I've never had a SCA refuse me water when I run out.

I've never enjoyed the flavor of the potable water on Amtrak. It tastes funny and it's never cold in the Summer - not warm, but tepid at best. That being said, I don't mind drinking it and never have got sick from it. They do refill those tanks pretty frequently, so I doubt there is much stagnation. At the taps, that's a different story. No telling when the last time those were used or cleaned.

I digress...

I will indulge one 16.9 oz (500ml) bottle of a beverage (usually prefer something other than water), then refill from tap, adding a flavoring like lemonade or any of those little powder thingies you get at the grocery store. It packs light and it greatly improves the palatability of the potable water.

I've shared this in the past in this forum, but back when I was a teenager working at Tokyo Disneyland back in the 80s, I was approached by a man from India asking where he could buy bottled water. I pointed to a water fountain and told him ALL of the water at Disney was FREE! At that time in Japan, I think the only bottled water you could buy was Perrier. Anyway, that greatly offended him. He was completely confused about why we would subject ourselves to drinking tap water. It wasn't until a few years later that I understood where he was coming from. As jis said, you can't always presume the drinking water is good in other countries. I've been well warned prior to going to Mexico the same thing.

Next time you buy a non-national brand of water (ie: Dasani), look where the source it. Especially if you buy water at the grocery store by the gallon. Chances are that it's from some city's municipal water supply.

Slightly dormant thread, but it seems water limitation (or not) varies a lot and may depend on the SCA. I took trips on the TE on the 18th and again (back home) last night.

On the 22, there was no bottled water (luckily, I carried my own). The SCA claimed "They don't let us put water in the rooms any more" and he told the person asking him about water "Go to the dining car and ask them for a bottle of water" (Apparently that worked; she came back with water).

On the 21, with Brad (who is a very good SCA), there was bottled water - full sized bottles, 2 of 'em - in my roomette and there was a case of water over by the coffeepot. (There also was a cooler with ice).

I always carry my own bottles with me, because of the fact that you can't expect it, and sometimes the "potable" water from the spigot doesn't taste so very "potable." I kind of wish it were more consistent so I could either know, yes, I have to carry water or no, there will definitely be water provided. (I don't want to bother the dining car crew, especially if it's a busy time)

Didn't have any problems with getting water on the CS and EB last week. They have switched to the big bottles by Nestle. The only thing I did notice is that after the first day, they do not refill the water in the room unless you ask for more. Was never denied by the SCA when we asked for more bottles of water. Due to this thread, we did stop at Walmart and carried a 12 pack of water with us. Only $2.99 compared to the $2.25 if buying from the cafe car. As you can see from the picture, due to the bigger size of the bottles, I did notice that both SCA, leave then propped against the table instead of upright.

DSC00253 by Brian H, on Flickr

My question about the potable water isn't about the sources (the cities/systems where Amtrak gets its water along its routes), but the tanks themselves. Potable water tanks need to be flushed, sanitized, and tested regularly. Based on the state of repair of almost every Amtrak car I've ever encountered, I doubt they are cleaned as often as they should.

I can't find any American tests, but the Canadian government investigated the potable water on airplanes a few years ago and found it lacking - in fact, 15% of airplane potable water tanks tested positive for dangerous bacteria. I'd be shocked if Amtrak cars are any cleaner.

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2014/05/12/airplane-drinking-water-safety_n_5302498.html

Having six Flight Attendants in the family and several friends as pilots, we have learned you NEVER want to drink the plane's tap water unless it is heated like brewing coffee. Reason they offer bottled water on the plane. Evidently the airlines are not careful where the end of the hose is placed and the tank is seldom if ever cleaned or sterilized. Using this information, I have only used bottle water on the train, even carry some with me in case they run out. I do not think Amtrak can guarantee the water since the hoses are just rolled up and dragged along the ground between cars. Another question would be if they have a maintenance routine of sanitizing the water tanks. BTW- We only use tap water at home to save on the plastic, besides the taste is good, and we trust the quality.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back