the sorry state of amtrak's otp

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm surprised that the 0500 departure has one of the worst OTP records.
The 2150 Acela departing WAS at 5:00 AM gets to NYP at 7:45 AM, and then continues to BOS. 2172 which has even poorer OTP, departs WAS at 4:00 PM, arrives at NYP at 6:45 PM and also continues to BOS. So they both slog their way from NWK to NYP to NHV during the later stages of the rush hour periods when delays and traffic jams can build up. We don't know how much of the reduced NEC OTP is due to the problems and slow orders on the New Haven Line in Metro-North territory.

In the weekday table, the morning Acelas with the best OTP, the 2104 and 2110 run only between WAS and NYP. Which indicates that the New Haven Line track work and slow orders are a significant part of the poorer OTP. There is OTP data in the monthly report, but I have not tried to parse out the MNRR delays for the NEC trains.

The OTP numbers are better on weekends, which I would have expected, but did not realize that it was this consistently better. Shows how much of the lower OTP is due to commuter traffic congestion, not equipment breakdowns, catenary failures, etc. I'm inserting the WAS weekend departure table below for comparison.

dc-weekend.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back