The Polar Vortex

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
An Alberta Clipper is a low-pressure system that follows the northern jet stream, usually moving NW to SE out of Alberta. Typically they produce gusty winds but limited precipitation.

The polar vortex is a large region of upper-atmosphere low pressure and associated surface cold air that is generally located near the north pole. It is bounded by the northern jet stream. Arctic blasts occur as the vortex sags southward, though in most cases the center of circulation remains well north.

What is unusual in this case is that higher pressure near the pole has caused the polar vortex to move far south, splitting into a number of sub-vortices circulating much farther south than is typical, and bringing polar air southward with them. One of these sub-vortices is presently centered over Lake Michigan, though it is actually only the third strongest of the polar-derived systems at the moment. The strongest is centered over Siberia where temperatures are around -50F, and the second-strongest is centered just west of Greenland.

With the multiple centers of circulation, is not quite correct to say that THE polar vortex is centered over the US, but it is a once-a-decade event or so to have a polar circulation this far south.

Train 302 is 4:18 late north of Bloomington.

I'm scheduled to take that train tomorrow. Any thoughts on what's causing the delays (cold, snow, or freight) and whether tomorrow will be any better? It's a leisure trip, so I can cancel.

Return Thursday, and I'm assuming (maybe stupidly) things will be back to normal by then.

My all-time favorite weather program was called "AM Weather", which aired on some PBS stations back in the seventies or eighties....

It was a 15 or 30 minute program that aired at around 0600, and was targeted towards pilots, with mostly aviation oriented weather information....such things as winds aloft, known icing, etc.

It was presented by two or three professional meteorologists, in a strait forward, no-nonsense format. Very interesting.

It was fully funded by several aviation organizations. Probably more funding than required. Wonder if PBS took some of that excess to 'cross-fund' other programs underfunded...?

Anyway, it quietly disappeared from the schedule, perhaps due to low audiences, but I'm sure not from lack of funding....
AM Weather was produced by a PBS station near Baltimore. The announcers were US Weather Service employees. Some were very good on camera. But others couldn't manage their way out of a paper bag. Still, it was quite a useful program that ran about 13 minutes and was repeated (re-recorded) about two or three times each weekday morning. I had my VCR scheduled to record each episode while I was asleep -- this was in the days before Tivo.

The NWS probably has records for 24-hour temperature drops around the country.
Here are some records for the biggest temperature drops. The biggest 24 hour drop, as mentioned is 100 degrees, at Browning, MT on January 23-24, 1916.

I almost feel guilty as I live at roughly the same parallel of latitude as Quebec City, and it's in the low 30's here and that's the chilliest day of the week forecast. It's supposed to be near 40 and above starting about Wednesday.
Daytime highs in 60s each day in SF Bay Area for the past 4 weeks with no rain. Forecast continues this for at least the next 7 days. Same old same old.

Venture: Most carriers today have no responsibility if weather forces their hand, that is if the train is five hours late, at least they are there. (Years ago, I chose NOT to get on the Twilight Limited in Kalamazoo, my roommate did, and I was "stuck" in Kalamazoo for three days, while he was home with his parents in Ann Arbor, albeit 5 hours late...)

So yes, unless there is "imminent danger" to the train, crew, or pax, run the damn thing. I know my view is not-politically correct.

If things continue along the same path, someday soon the USPS will stop delivering the mail, if the forecast calls for a "chance of showers..........." (If US Mail delivery is still relevant in the future)
"Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed rounds."

But wait. The so-called creed of the USPS makes no mention of cold.

We got both USPS and UPS deliveries today. I was impressed/grateful.

Warmer air heading to the East. I was looking at temps thru out much of central MT just now. They are anywhere from 15 to 40 degrees WARMER today than yesterday, with some places forecasted to reach near 40F on Tuesday. So the current cold wave should break in a couple days and if the long range progs are right, in about 10-12 days those places in the Dakotas which saw minus 40 last night could see temps in the plus 40 range--quite a swing!!

So much for global warming. :)
Well the thing about global warming is that it's global. And here in Europe we just had the second warmest December ever, and January has started out even warmer.

Not that it says too much about global warming over time either, but assessing the climate from sticking your nose out the window is just plain naive.

My relatives IN GB didn't think it was warm. They said it was one of the stormiest and chilliest Decembers in the past several years--what a difference a few hundred miles makes I guess. Then in the Middle East they had snow in countries that hadn't seen the white stuff at Christmas time in decades--go figure!!!

My relatives IN GB didn't think it was warm. They said it was one of the stormiest and chilliest Decembers in the past several years.

I live in the center of Wisconsin (about 3 hours SW of GB). I'd have to agree with your relatives (not on the stormiest but the chilliest part). I just got my electric bill. It's twice as big as it usually is after the December billing period. Usually the biggest energy bills come during the February and March periods.....I'm not overly anxious to see them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, our mail just arrived. My wife is a former rural carrier and she is very glad she is retired today. 30 years of winter weather is enough. :p
I understand. I delivered pizzas for several years, and I do not miss being cold and wet. We ordered last night (the pizza place is only a couple miles away, and our road was plowed, so we didn't feel too guilty), and I tipped the guy $10. He thanked me for the tip and then thanked me for having one of the few shoveled walkways. He had snow on his pants all the way up to his mid-thigh. I remember those days all too well. :p I used to get snow up to my hips because people wouldn't shovel their porch and walkway all winter. :angry:

WMU just canceled classes tomorrow (Tuesday). I haven't heard about MSU and other major schools yet. I do know most, if not all, of the public school districts had already canceled school on Tuesday before I woke up this morning.

looking back at this weekend's adventure, even though our trip took 24 hours instead of 4, I don't think I would be sitting back in my toasty apartment without Amtrak. If I drove, I would probably be in a ditch, or unable to get back until later today. If I flew, I would probably still be in the airport waiting for the next available flight. Did Amtrak boot some of their responsibilities? I think so, but they had a lot of help, and in the end, they were the most reliable source of travel through the great lakes this weekend.

Yes, our mail just arrived. My wife is a former rural carrier and she is very glad she is retired today. 30 years of winter weather is enough. :p
I understand. I delivered pizzas for several years, and I do not miss being cold and wet. We ordered last night (the pizza place is only a couple miles away, and our road was plowed, so we didn't feel too guilty), and I tipped the guy $10. He thanked me for the tip and then thanked me for having one of the few shoveled walkways. He had snow on his pants all the way up to his mid-thigh. I remember those days all too well. :p I used to get snow up to my hips because people wouldn't shovel their porch and walkway all winter. :angry:
I really feel for everyone Up North and the NE! It's going to be Below 20 Tonight Here in Austin and with the Wind Chill Near Zero which is Record Cold! Thank Goodness there's No Ice or Snow to Deal with!

Hope everyone stays Warm and Safe and all the Best to Those That Have to Work Outside!! :hi:

Last edited by a moderator:
No. I like having four seasons, and I love snowy winters. :) I'm as happy as a clam right now.

Most of our snow from last week is gone. Just expecting temps in the single digits tonight & teens tomorrow with windchills below 0. We will be near or in the 50's by the weekend.

I too enjoy having the 4 seasons. Can't appreciate the warm/hot without the cold & vis-versa.

No. I like having four seasons, and I love snowy winters. :) I'm as happy as a clam right now.
You and my mom would get along great. She loves snow and I'm sure she is in seventh heaven right now. If it weren't for her and my sister, I'd be moving to much warmer climates than Michigan. :cool:

Looks like all the trains on the STL-CHI corridor are 5-6 hours late.

Does anyone have any idea how much improvement we can expect tomorrow? I can handle 2-3 hours late (on a five-hour trip). Five or six hours and I'd rather just cancel. I don't need to get there that badly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back