The Polar Vortex

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

henryj

Conductor
If you think it's cold now, just wait. Record breaking cold by next Monday and Tuesday. 15 below in Chicago and Indianapolis. Wind chills of 50, 60 or 70 below. If you are under 40yo you have not seen this stuff before. An historic cold outbreak. It will freeze over the Great Lakes and spread all the way to the north east and New England. Unfortunately, Houston is scheduled to get a hard freeze Monday or Tuesday. Good news is it won't last long before it warms up.

The weather forecast for Tuesday morning in Orlando is 29.

What? I'm 36, and I've experienced windchills around -40 many times. I used to live in Marquette, MI, which is right on Lake Superior. I also spent a considerable amount of time in Houghton, MI during the winter. (Houghton is farther north than Marquette.)

Yoopers are quite familiar with cold weather. They go Green Bay to warm up.

And sometimes they do indeed get plenty of snow. I have photos of my parents' homes (they grew up next door to each other) with snow piled up to the second story and a tunnel dug from the ground floor entry out to the street.

Pshaw! -15 in Chicago? I can remember -26 there in the early 80s. I'm from North Dakota, where we treat this whole "wind chill" thing as an excuse for wimps. Now December '83, that was a cold snap. Nothing says Christmas like three straight days when the highest temperature was -20.

I blame the Weather Channel for all of this hysteria.

Sounds like the Empire Builder #8 is not running on Sunday, a member on Facebook page said she gotten the call and her trip is postponed.

She dosen't know why.. Maybe due to the extream wind chill that will be going on in Northern MN on Monday. All school in MN will be closed on Monday by the governer orders.

Somehow, I think Amtrak will do alright.
Amtrak is not doing very well today. The trains are running, but a lot of very late LD and corridor trains in the east and Midwest. The cold blast that is coming on Sunday and Monday may cause some route shutdowns and cancellations.

My kids had a school day cancelled in Minnesota when the wind chill hit -55. So they spent the day playing outside instead of going to school.

Pshaw! -15 in Chicago? I can remember -26 there in the early 80s. I'm from North Dakota, where we treat this whole "wind chill" thing as an excuse for wimps. Now December '83, that was a cold snap. Nothing says Christmas like three straight days when the highest temperature was -20.

Right now the Weather Channel says -15 but some of the local TV forecasters are now predicting -20 or less. Some say that the all time low of -27 is in danger. Yes I do remember the -27 as I was given the task to rewire the heat control system on an Amfleet I, out in the yard with no shelter or wind break. For those of you that don't know the temperature control panel is under the car body, and it is wired with 20 gauge wires, not much thicker than telephone wire and must be done with bare hands. Needless to say a 2 hour job took 6 hours to complete allowing time to put your hands into your pockets to warm them and a couple of trips back to the shop for coffee.

Please think about the horrible working conditions the next time a train leaves out of the yard late.

Thanks oldtimer

PS: ISPOLKOM In the winter of 82-83 I made several trips to Minot and back to protect the equipment.

Somehow, I think Amtrak will do alright.
Amtrak is not doing very well today. The trains are running, but a lot of very late LD and corridor trains in the east and Midwest. The cold blast that is coming on Sunday and Monday may cause some route shutdowns and cancellations.
Superliners don't do too well with extreme cold. Toilets start to freeze around -15. Other plumbing is vulnerable at lower temperatures, and any loss-of-HEP troubles can quickly become uncomfortable. Tension increases in the rails, and freights slow down - to 40 mph in the case of very heavy or hazardous materials trains. Speed restrictions apply to Amtrak as well (usually 60 or 65 mph), but it is the freight slowdown that really gums up the system.

I remember the Dec '83 cold snap. I left DE with highs around 10 to go the FL for Christams week. FL's highs were cold enough to need at least a sweatshirt, which we bought while down there. NYE at the Magic Kingdom I had on my full winter gear. But it was still warmer than DE. ;)

Greetings fellow Nordakotan! I was born and raised there, and being a Norwegian of average intelligence, I moved South to South Dakota where I thought it would be warmer...uff-da....have a son in Florida and now enjoying the 70-80 degree days for a few months during the Winter.... but I do remember the Winters during the 40's and 50's as being extremely cold and being blocked in by snow for just about a complete Winter....the train was the only way in and out of our small town....except for the farmers with horse and sled.......I think the lowest I seen was actual temp of -42.... :help:

I blame the people who watch it.

I recall my mom saying that in MN, winter was from Oct to Apr and in GA, summer was from Apr to Oct.

There's nothing wrong with watching it to get the forecast. What's ridiculous is their insistence upon naming every single snow system that occurs during the winter. If they start naming thunderstorms in the summer, then I'll know they've officially gone full derp.

There's nothing wrong with watching it to get the forecast. What's ridiculous is their insistence upon naming every single snow system that occurs during the winter. If they start naming thunderstorms in the summer, then I'll know they've officially gone full derp.
I gave up on The Weather Channel, DirecTV just added WeatherNation to the line up, so now it's 24/7 weather, and no names for storms!

I don't watch TWC, but I know some people who do because they aren't comfortable with computers and smartphones.

I use the Weatherbug app on my phone. I find it's much more reliable.

I was turned off weather bug because they added a bunch of bugs to my pc. They've improved, but work won't let them on because they are still considered malicious. Weather underground was my next favorite then they blocked it. Now I'm stuck with TWC and Accuweather.

All the media love adverse weather, hoping to get concerned people glued to their sets........

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back