The mother of all Superliner room polls

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which Superliner Roomette(s) do you prefer

Votes: 7 5.2%

Votes: 36 26.9%

Votes: 36 26.9%

Votes: 38 28.4%

Votes: 34 25.4%

Votes: 37 27.6%

Votes: 15 11.2%

Votes: 9 6.7%

Votes: 10 7.5%

Votes: 13 9.7%

Votes: 14 10.4%

Votes: 19 14.2%
  • None of the above, bedrooms all the way!

Votes: 22 16.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
OT - Thanks for the car diagrams. Allowed this Superliner newb to realize that they had booked my family of 4 with two roomettes as requested; but one was upstairs and the other downstairs. After getting no help from Amtrak, I called Amtrak Vacations, (our booking agent), and with their wonderful customer service Brenda was able to get Amtrak to switch one of the reservations. We're all downstairs now. On other legs we are up top. Should get a good preference for one over the other. Having never rode a superliner sleeper don't have an opinion, yet.
Sounds like Good Customer Service! :) Another example of Amtraks Left Hand not Knowing what the Right One is doing! ;)
I think Amtrak Vacations is a seperate travel outfit contracted to Amtrak. Although they work hand in hand, my impression is that they are definitely seperate entities.

OT - Thanks for the car diagrams. Allowed this Superliner newb to realize that they had booked my family of 4 with two roomettes as requested; but one was upstairs and the other downstairs. After getting no help from Amtrak, I called Amtrak Vacations, (our booking agent), and with their wonderful customer service Brenda was able to get Amtrak to switch one of the reservations. We're all downstairs now. On other legs we are up top. Should get a good preference for one over the other. Having never rode a superliner sleeper don't have an opinion, yet.
I once booked two single rooms on VIA, one for me & one for my mom. VIA's computers not only didn't put is in the same car, but my then 72 year-old mother was about 5 cars away from where I was located. :eek:

Thankfully a phone agent was able to fix that for us, and then just days before our trip while we were already traveling on Amtrak, VIA's engineers went on strike killing that trip.

I think Amtrak Vacations is a seperate travel outfit contracted to Amtrak. Although they work hand in hand, my impression is that they are definitely seperate entities.
They are. Amtrak Vacations is a travel agency that specializes in train travel and is granted special access to Amtrak and they're allowed to use the name Amtrak on their literature and get promotion from Amtrak.

My votes (5, 6, B, C) are based entirely on noise. I like to be as far away from the doors, restroom, and stairs as possible. Also, I prefer the upper level since it's nowhere near the Family Bedroom.

I've been lucky to get bedroom 9 or 10 on our trip out to WFH and the rail fan window was there for me!

On our recent trip on CL, We had 14 and I kinda liked it in a way.. One less window to try cover up with the curtian, and did like the little extra room on the top.

Also, what train has the delux sleeper? Never knew there was one out there...
Well just to be clear, Deluxe Sleeper used to be the name for what Amtrak now calls the Bedroom.

Because of that, the 6 special cars that have only Bedrooms on the upper level (no roomettes) are called Deluxe Sleepers. All six cars are permanently assigned to Auto Train service and were built specifically for that service.

Also, what train has the delux sleeper? Never knew there was one out there...
Well just to be clear, Deluxe Sleeper used to be the name for what Amtrak now calls the Bedroom.

Because of that, the 6 special cars that have only Bedrooms on the upper level (no roomettes) are called Deluxe Sleepers. All six cars are permanently assigned to Auto Train service and were built specifically for that service.
Amtrak accomadation names

Roomette ex-Bedroom exx-Economy Bedroom

Bedroom ex-Deluxe Bedroom

They only called the "Economy Bedrooms/Roomettes" Bedrooms for a fairly short period of time, like a year or two, because it was massively confusing.

Depends really....
Ordinarily I prefer roomette 5 or 6 BUT have twice been in roomette 10 in the last car on the train which is pretty cool.

My next roomette will be a downstairs one on the City of New Orleans and I'm hoping for a better night sleep than when I last rode the CONO in an upstairs room on some rough track.
I agree that the CONO has some rough track in places (more sideways movement than up and down). However, I had no problem sleeping in Roomette 6 upper bunk, and I'm a light sleeper. Maybe the motion actually helped. I had more of a problem with the people in the adjacent Roomette 8 talking loudly into the night...could hear it plaining right through the bulkhead.

DSCN1969.JPG

I voted for roomettes 2 & 3, because I have only done a roomette one time. I had #3 on the north bound CONO last April. That's me in #3, trying to feed my shirt some Shiner Bock! :blush: Then #2 because I have that on the EB east bound out of PDX next April. Can't wait to ride again!!!

As for bedroom, I checked roomette only, only because at this time I am a solo traveler. :(

I save my AGR points and always get a bedroom not a roomette on superliners. Travel alone. All the bedrooms A-E are really fine. I actually like A because of no partition to the next room like B,C,D,E. In those rooms you can have quiet neighbors or a parent and three wild screaming kids. Have had both.

As several others have said, 3-8 are about the same - less noise, less wiggle (or is it waggle?) I actually prefer any of the transdorm roomettes - much quieter and lots of empty rooms so you can switch side easily.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back