thanksgiving schedule for NEC

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JackieTakestheTrain

Lead Service Attendant
Hi.

just got a call from Amtrak saying that the 0170 between Boston and NYC was cancelled on Thanksgiving. I am taking the train from NYP to Orlando on Thanksgiving.

Does anyone know when the NEC Thanksgiving schedule will be out?
I am reluctant to just rebook another train as it may be cancelled, too.

The Amtrak agent said my only choices were the 195 (but she said it doesn't stop in NYC, but when I look at the current schedule, it does). I don't want to switch trains in Washington.

Or there is a train that leaves at 945 from BOS but it gets into NYP at about 1:45, which only leaves a hour layover before the ORL train. I like to have more time than that.

Thanks!

Jackie

Yes, I meant, 171. Sorry, I am so irritated with Amtrak right now. Just when I thought I had the perfect itinerary...lol!

Ok. called again and I was told the online schedule is correct, BUT, they will not honor or guarantee my connection even if I want to book a train that gets me there earlier than their connection!!

The days before Thanksgiving are the busiest travel days of the year. Thanksgiving Day itself with a few special cases, not so much. There should be NEC special schedule released shortly. When you made your booking, was it available with a suggested train for a guaranteed connection? It seems odd for them to say no guarantee, unless you are making your own itinerary, and not using the one they offer.

The Amtrak agent said my only choices were the 195 (but she said it doesn't stop in NYC
That doesn't even make sense! :p
NYP is the busiest station in the country. EVERY train stops there! It's even a crew change point!

OK, now if it was a station like Westerly, Mystic or some other small station, I'd understand. But a station like PHL I don't, and certainly not NYP! Many also transfer to other Amtrak trains (like to upstate NY), NJT or LIRR.

Which train are you taking into ORL. Checking not arrow I see a 195-91 connection at Washington. And a 161-97 connection. Incidentally the sleeper on 91 is less money then 97 but the railfare in sleeper is 443 on 97 with a roomette and meals included. While 91 without meals in a roomette is 490. And if you factor in your meal prices two steak dinners (51.50) and two breakfasts ( 18) you can make the actual price of the roomette 374.

Hi Folk.

Thanks for your help, but I gave up on Amtrak.

After speaking with 4 different agents, I had four different answers.

The only point they could agree on was that train 171 from Boston to NYP was cancelled.

To keep this post short, I had differing opinions/information about what they considered a guarantee connection (despite other trains that would get me into NYP earlier than so-called connections they offered) *AND* if the trains offered where part of the final Thanksgiving schedule.

I finally gave up and cancelled my train and am taking the Limoliner.

While this costs me more money, but at least I didn't have to make a 5th call only to be told something differently.

I should add that 3 of those 4 calls were with the special number Amtrak has to help passengers rebook cancelled trains.....including the agent who told me the train didn't stop in NYP that was going to Washington!!!

*urgh*

Of course it stops in NY, it may not be a guaranteed connection in NY. The BOS-NYP stretch, and the NYP to WAS stretch are both very busy. It would be folly not to stop there.

Hi Folk.

Thanks for your help, but I gave up on Amtrak.

After speaking with 4 different agents, I had four different answers.

The only point they could agree on was that train 171 from Boston to NYP was cancelled.

To keep this post short, I had differing opinions/information about what they considered a guarantee connection (despite other trains that would get me into NYP earlier than so-called connections they offered) *AND* if the trains offered where part of the final Thanksgiving schedule.

I finally gave up and cancelled my train and am taking the Limoliner.

While this costs me more money, but at least I didn't have to make a 5th call only to be told something differently.

I should add that 3 of those 4 calls were with the special number Amtrak has to help passengers rebook cancelled trains.....including the agent who told me the train didn't stop in NYP that was going to Washington!!!

*urgh*
As far as I know that "special number" isn't that special.. I believe it just connects you to a regular agent.

Here's some holiday extras.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back