Texas Mini Gathering - DFW - January 7-8 2012

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Would you be interested in a Texas based Mini Gathering?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
00Jh9I-34638884.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Is there no one in the Ft. Worth or Dallas area that can co-ordinate a gathering?

Maybe the best decision would be to pick a different location, such as San Antonio or Austin. Or maybe El Paso?

If it's simply a mini-gathering, what's to coordinate? Just pick a restaurant, a time and a date.

Has a date been decided? I'm still not sure if I'll be going. Depends on the date.

If there is going to be a mini gathering in the DFW area can I suggest Jan 7-8? That is when the 40th anniversary exhibit train will be in town.

Wow, I just discovered this thread. I know the lines quite well and can give advice. Visiting the 40th train also sounds fun. Just gotta watch out, that the TRE does not run on Sundays.

So it's safe to mark the request off calendar at work and buy my tickets when I can scrape up the money? ^_^

Can we have specifics? Which date would be the lunch and/or dinner? We'd need to know that in order to know which date to leave to get there on time.

Is it going to be Dallas or Ft. Worth? My vote would be Dallas because the TE would get there earlier and leave to come back home later. More time to spend in the area.

I have an old time table, but arrival in Dallas would be 11:30 a.m. and departure to go back up north would be 3:40 p.m.

Arrival in Ft. Worth would be 1:25 p.m. and departure back up north would be 2:20 p.m.

If it all falls into place, I'd be in a hotel only one night, so timing is important to me.

Jan 7-8,2012 is OK for me. Where will the 40th anniversary train be?
According to the official schedule listing at http://www.amtrak40th.com/exhibit-train/stops the 40th Anniversary Train will be spending both days in the Fort Worth station located at 1001 Jones Street, Fort Worth, TX 76102 and will be available for viewing between the hours of 10:00AM and 4:00PM CT.

I am thinking about going.But I would like to go by train(HOS ...SAS...DAL),but the Sunset Ltd is sold out Jan.6,Houston to San Antonio.I dont really want to drive or take the bus, :eek:hboy: :eek:hboy: :eek:hboy: :eek:hboy:

I am thinking about going.But I would like to go by train(HOS ...SAS...DAL),but the Sunset Ltd is sold out Jan.6,Houston to San Antonio.I dont really want to drive or take the bus, :eek:hboy: :eek:hboy: :eek:hboy: :eek:hboy:
You could do it in reverse, but it would have to be a morning visit on Saturday. Then take the Eagle to SAS and the Sunset to Houston. I would fly into Love Field on SWA. First flight is 6:15am on Saturday. First TRE is 8:49 with 9:50 arrival at the T&P station. Unfortunately the TRE doesn't operate on Sunday. Take the Green line from the Inwood/Love Fld station to Victory Station where it interchanges with the TRE. The 039 bus from Love Field to the Inwood station operates every 20 minutes on Saturday.

If you book from Houston to Del Rio, you can get a coach seat on the 6th. I have no idea why this is. Just buy two separate tickets. HOS to Del Rio. And then SAS to Fort Worth. A room on the Sunset is only 163 extra. Problem with this is you get to Fort Worth at 2PM. 40th train is only open until 4PM. Last TRE that will connect with the last SWA flight is 3:17 or 5:17. The 5:17 would be a stretch.

If you stay overnight in Fort Worth, I have no idea how to get to Love Field on Sunday.

IDEA....I could drive to Temple(not to far for me) and take Eagle to FTW.The group could meeet the Eagles,tour display,make plans,etc.Return sunday.If somepeople will be on the train we could meet up on train.We could even carpool to Temple.I am 25 mi. n.w. of Houston..........Looks like this could be a plan.........Temple also has a museum in the station. :cool:

Can we have specifics? Which date would be the lunch and/or dinner? We'd need to know that in order to know which date to leave to get there on time. Is it going to be Dallas or Ft. Worth? My vote would be Dallas because the TE would get there earlier and leave to come back home later. More time to spend in the area. I have an old time table, but arrival in Dallas would be 11:30 a.m. and departure to go back up north would be 3:40 p.m. Arrival in Ft. Worth would be 1:25 p.m. and departure back up north would be 2:20 p.m. If it all falls into place, I'd be in a hotel only one night, so timing is important to me.
The most obvious start for our gathering appears to be around 2:00PM on Saturday when the last of the three Amtrak trains arrives in Fort Worth.

11:30A Southbound Texas Eagle (21) Arrives in Dallas

12:40P Southbound Heartland Flyer (821) Arrives in Forth Worth

01:45P Southbound Texas Eagle (21) Arrives in Fort Worth

02:00P Northbound Texas Eagle (22) Arrives in Fort Worth

03:20P Northbound Texas Eagle (22) Arrives in Dallas

There is a similar 2:00P outbound cutoff on Sunday. Those 24 hours or so should provide for a dinner and a breakfast along with a lunch in or near the Forth Worth station if folks are so inclined. Northbound Heartland Flyer passengers will have a couple more hours to kill until 5:25P but for the most part it lines up pretty well. I'd be OK with having dinner in Dallas if that's what the group prefers and the intercity rail runs late enough to allow for it, but I think basing our hotels in Forth Worth makes more sense on all counts.

Can we have specifics? Which date would be the lunch and/or dinner? We'd need to know that in order to know which date to leave to get there on time. Is it going to be Dallas or Ft. Worth? My vote would be Dallas because the TE would get there earlier and leave to come back home later. More time to spend in the area. I have an old time table, but arrival in Dallas would be 11:30 a.m. and departure to go back up north would be 3:40 p.m. Arrival in Ft. Worth would be 1:25 p.m. and departure back up north would be 2:20 p.m. If it all falls into place, I'd be in a hotel only one night, so timing is important to me.
The most obvious start for our gathering appears to be around 2:00PM on Saturday when the last of the three Amtrak trains arrives in Fort Worth.

11:30A Southbound Texas Eagle (21) Arrives in Dallas

12:40P Southbound Heartland Flyer (821) Arrives in Forth Worth

01:45P Southbound Texas Eagle (21) Arrives in Fort Worth

02:00P Northbound Texas Eagle (22) Arrives in Fort Worth

03:20P Northbound Texas Eagle (22) Arrives in Dallas

There is a similar 2:00P outbound cutoff on Sunday. Those 24 hours or so should provide for a dinner and a breakfast along with a lunch in or near the Forth Worth station if folks are so inclined. Northbound Heartland Flyer passengers will have a couple more hours to kill until 5:25P but for the most part it lines up pretty well. I'd be OK with having dinner in Dallas if that's what the group prefers and the intercity rail runs late enough to allow for it, but I think basing our hotels in Forth Worth makes more sense on all counts.
This sounds good to me. Closest Hotel seems to be the Downtown Hilton at 0.2 miles and $135. Cheapest(downtown) is the Sheraton 0.3 miles and $119. Sheraton is about five blocks from the Intermodal center where the Amtrak display is and close to the T&P station. Any recommendations?

The Intermodal center also serves Greyhound and other intercity buses if you want to travel that way. If you want to fly back on Sunday there are buses to Dallas all day long.

Except that one is almost for sure going to get a 3* or better hotel in Dallas for less than half those prices quoted for FTW.

I have found this to be the case numerous times; therefore, I prefer to arrive FTW Sat., tour the train and whatever, take TRE to Dallas, have dinner in Dallas, put up there in a hotel, and depart from there Sunday at 11:50 am. :rolleyes:

The exhibit train sounds great! I am looking forward to it!!

Except that one is almost for sure going to get a 3* or better hotel in Dallas for less than half those prices quoted for FTW.

I have found this to be the case numerous times; therefore, I prefer to arrive FTW Sat., tour the train and whatever, take TRE to Dallas, have dinner in Dallas, put up there in a hotel, and depart from there Sunday at 11:50 am. :rolleyes:

The exhibit train sounds great! I am looking forward to it!!
I concur with this also! Remember that the TRE doesnt run on Sunday so this is a great plan for those of us having to spend the night! FYI; The price to AUS or SAS in Coach is THE SAME to FTW and DAL on the Eagles, so ride to DAL to/from the South instead of FTW!! :wacko: :wub:

I'm not exactly against spending the night in Dallas, but what will we do if Sunday's Southbound Texas Eagle (21) is substantially delayed while the local intercity passenger rail connections are offline? I don't have a strong desire to spend a lot of time riding a city bus or a taxi. $125-135 or whatever for a single night may not be cheap but it doesn't sound horrible to me. If there are better options do y'all have specifics that are cheaper but still close to a station for quick and easy access?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back