Texas Mini Gathering - DFW - January 7-8 2012

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Would you be interested in a Texas based Mini Gathering?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
So our current consensus is Hoffbrau Steaks for dinner in Downtown Dallas and nearby hotels?
And MATA on Sunday morning?
biggrin.gif

So our current consensus is Hoffbrau Steaks for dinner in Downtown Dallas and nearby hotels?
Look on Alan's list above, any hotel that says "downtown" is easily accessible from Union Station. Add to the list the Hampton Inn downtown, and the Magnolia Hotel.

Question 1.

So, just what is the anniversary train, anyway?

Queston 2.

Is there ever the chance to walk through a Superliner (or viewliner for that matter) sleeper car? ( the videos are GREAT, but nothing beats eyeball contact)

Thanks!

Question 1.

It's a special train that Amtrak put together that has traveling exhibits showing things from Amtrak's 40 years of existence. It also has a small gift shop to buy stuff in.

More info can be found here.

Queston 2.

Is there ever the chance to walk through a Superliner (or viewliner for that matter) sleeper car? ( the videos are GREAT, but nothing beats eyeball contact)

Thanks!
On National Train day each May some of the larger cities have cars on display. Not sure that Dallas has ever done anything. Typically it's LA, Chicago, DC, & Philly that have the biggest equipment displays.

Question 1.

It's a special train that Amtrak put together that has traveling exhibits showing things from Amtrak's 40 years of existence. It also has a small gift shop to buy stuff in.

More info can be found here.

Queston 2.

Thanks!
On National Train day each May some of the larger cities have cars on display. Not sure that Dallas has ever done anything. Typically it's LA, Chicago, DC, & Philly that have the biggest equipment displays.

Went to train day at both Dallas and Ft. Worth this past year. Didn't see one at either, had the Flyer open at Ft. Worth, and they were shutting up shop in Dallas when I arrived. :(

I have almost enough points to do a two zone roomette round trip, and would like to see roomette before deciding on the destination.

In Dallas I have stayed at Springhill Suites (in West End) twice and the Sheraton (on Olive St. near Arts District) twice. I got both on Priceline for around $50/night.

In FTW I have stayed at Park Central and Courtyard Blackstone (both right downtown, walking distance to Amtrak) and at the Marriott (out at the Stockyards) and another one out by the Museum District. Also on Pricline these were more expensive.

These are all on Alan's list. Since I don't have to get to and from an opera performance this time, the Richardson/Plano option with the ride on the red line interests me.

The renisance at gatalyn park red line stop is quite nice. Next to a performing arts center, has nice park feel to the area.

I've sort of skimmed the five pages on this thread but would someone bring it all together for me. Is there to be a mini gathering and what are the most recent updates. My son lives in Dallas and I visit him often. I drive from Arkansas and stay at a Best Western in Plano because I can't drive in Dallas. I can't merge in high speed traffic..don' t laugh Oprah admits to this problem as well. Anyway I ride the DART lightlrail all over the place for two dollars a day. I could and would come to a gathering in the DFW area.

I've sort of skimmed the five pages on this thread but would someone bring it all together for me. Is there to be a mini gathering and what are the most recent updates.
There will absolutely be a mini-gathering. Officially it starts at the Forth Worth station around 2:00PM CST on January 7th when the northbound Texas Eagle arrives and ends around twenty-four hours later when the southbound Texas Eagle departs. On the first day we'll be exploring the Amtrak museum train and Forth Worth station before hopping on the TRE and heading over to Dallas. We can get a good look at the Dallas station area and then head to Hoffbrou Steaks for dinner. Then we'll get some rest at hotels nearby in the West End. The following morning we'll meet for breakfast and do some light rail running. If we didn't have enough time to check out the Dallas station on Saturday we can explore it in more detail on Sunday. Then we'll board our trains, planes, and automobiles to head home. If that sounds like fun to you then feel free to join us!

I'll be posting some additional information on the hotel options shortly.

I am staying at the Hotel Lawrence because it is across from Union Station. When we arrive in Dallas from FW I can just run over and check in and drop off my stuff and rejoin the group in Union Station and the Hoffbrau. In it's web site it looks ok to me. It is a refurbished vintage hotel. I am flying back to Houston on Sunday afternoon so I do want to do some light rail and perhaps the McKinney Ave trolley. Also the light rail plus the bus take me right to Love Field.

I am staying at the Hotel Lawrence because it is across from Union Station. When we arrive in Dallas from FW I can just run over and check in and drop off my stuff and rejoin the group in Union Station and the Hoffbrau. In it's web site it looks ok to me. It is a refurbished vintage hotel. I am flying back to Houston on Sunday afternoon so I do want to do some light rail and perhaps the McKinney Ave trolley. Also the light rail plus the bus take me right to Love Field.
The Lawrence is an old refurbished hotel. Smaller rooms, but neat, clean and convenient.

The DART rail stop called "Love Field" is quite a ways from Love Field, and it takes a bus ride to get to the terminals. Anyone who needs/wants a ride ovet to Love Field on Sunday will be accommodated...I can do it, and others have offered to do it also.

I'm looking forward this....I am a newbie here, and have not made any other get-togethers, and am looking forward to meeting some of y'all. will likely just ride the Eagle over to Ft. Worth, and TRE back....................since I live in the middle, I can TRE it either way.

If anyone needs/wants hotel info, let me know.

Last edited by a moderator:
The DART rail stop called "Love Field" is quite a ways from Love Field, and it takes a bus ride to get to the terminals. Anyone who needs/wants a ride ovet to Love Field on Sunday will be accommodated...I can do it, and others have offered to do it also.

I'm looking forward this....I am a newbie here, and have not made any other get-togethers, and am looking forward to meeting some of y'all. will likely just ride the Eagle over to Ft. Worth, and TRE back....................since I live in the middle, I can TRE it either way.
Yes, same here. I am also a newbie, haven't met anyone of you in person nor been to any gatherings, and I guess I'd be the youngest among the folks meeting up, probably a kid among older folks
mosking.gif
but that's ok, we all love trains, and that's all that matters :)

I can also provide a ride in my car to anyone of you to/from your hotels in Dallas and to Love Field or DFW Airport if required.

How close is the river walk to the station in San Antonio?
Pretty close. Certainly walkable from what I understand.
I walked there during the westbound Eagle's layover last month. Takes maybe 15 minutes to get there at a good clip, but at that time of night there wasn't much open. As far as safety goes, the way is well lighted and there are folks around, especially when you reach the Denny's on the other side of the overpass. However, as in any city, I wouldn't recommend a woman try it by herself.

I just bought a room for Jan 7th in the Dallas Sheraton on Priceline.com for $60 including tax. It's on Olive St. right by the light rail line but walkable from Union Station. I started out trying for Plano and/or Richardson to ride the Red Line but no luck out there. So I'm committed now!

I was sort of looking forward to a Texas gathering, since we're just in the next state, however I will not be able to attend. We will be in Texas for Christmas, not sure how long we're going to stay there. It won't be anywhere near Dallas, though, unless you count Wimberley as being close.

Hope you have a great gathering!

I just bought a room for Jan 7th in the Dallas Sheraton on Priceline.com for $60 including tax. It's on Olive St. right by the light rail line but walkable from Union Station. I started out trying for Plano and/or Richardson to ride the Red Line but no luck out there. So I'm committed now!
I tried for the same area and level (DT 3.5S). I started at $45 base and upped $1 per rebid. Went all the way to $53 before it was approved at $67 all-in. Sheraton's own website shows these rooms going for $179.67 after tax on January 7th. So still about a 63% discount, give or take. If anyone wants help trying to get their own room through Priceline I'd be happy to help out. Just keep in mind that you can't back-out once you bid.

I was sort of looking forward to a Texas gathering, since we're just in the next state, however I will not be able to attend. We will be in Texas for Christmas, not sure how long we're going to stay there. It won't be anywhere near Dallas, though, unless you count Wimberley as being close. Hope you have a great gathering!
Sorry to hear you can't make it. If this one goes well maybe we'll have another one at a date and location that will work better for you.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had forgotten about a committment on Sunday Jan. 8, I will have to be on the DART red line to be in Richardson at 3:00 pm. I will be in for all of the goings-on until then, though.

So this is happening in FTW, right?
FTW and DAL, or as the title of the thread appropriately mentions- DFW Metroplex :)

The plan in short is to meet on Saturday at FTW, see the Amtrak Anniversary train, ride TRE to DAL, dinner, sleep, Sunday morning explore the McKinney Avenue Trolley or DAL Union Station depending on interest and finish off by the time the Eagle comes through.

FTW and DAL, or as the title of the thread appropriately mentions- DFW Metroplex :)

The plan in short is to meet on Saturday at FTW, see the Amtrak Anniversary train, ride TRE to DAL, dinner, sleep, Sunday morning explore the McKinney Avenue Trolley or DAL Union Station depending on interest and finish off by the time the Eagle comes through.
I might be interested. I haven't gotten to see the anniversary train, and this is probably my only remaining chance. Plus, it sounds fun.

I might be interested. I haven't gotten to see the anniversary train, and this is probably my only remaining chance. Plus, it sounds fun.
Bring your self on!

The more the merrier!!

How about you JimHudson? Would like to meet you..................

Bring your self on!

The more the merrier!!

How about you JimHudson? Would like to meet you..................
Well be there with Bells on!(my girl griend is coming with me!) Ridng #22 from AUS-FTW on Sat 1/07 (Coach), will stay in the Lawrence in Dallas one night, then catch #21 DAL-AUS(Roomette)on Sunday 1/08. Looking forward to meeeting new friends and seeing old ones also! As you said, the more the merrier! Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back