Texas Mini Gathering - DFW - January 7-8 2012

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Would you be interested in a Texas based Mini Gathering?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yup, I'm still coming and interested in the group dinner, though I haven't found any outsiders to drag along yet ( :lol: ). Good thing I'm still anticipating meeting up with at least two AU people on the Eagle that arrives 1/7. I know I'm leaving on 22 (8), because I have a points run reserved for a few hours after my arrival if 22 is reasonably on time into STL.

A question (what, someone had to ask it, I think :blush: ) Are text messages OK, or will things have to be calls only if someone needs to contact you?

Alright folks it's getting pretty close to the arrival of the first AU gathering of 2012!

Let's get a roll call going so we can see who's planning to attend and how big the reservation needs to be for dinner on Saturday night. :cool:

This means YOU! ^_^

? Railroad Bill

? Texan Eagle

? Pat Harper

? tonys96

Y Texas Sunset

? City of Miami

? OlympianHiawatha

? henryj

? stntylr

? MistyOLR

? Partyman

? GlobalistPotato

? grounded flyboy

? saxman

? boxcar817

? wmk

? CNW

? jimhudson

? Will Ray

? RobertB

? buck1108

? Jim G.

? pennyk

? johnny.menhennet

? VentureForth

? NJCoastExp

All I need is a simple yes/no/maybe and your arrival/departure info if you'll be attending so we know when to expect you and if you intend to join us for evening dinner in Dallas. I'll PM my cell phone to those who are planning to attend in case you need help finding/avoiding us or the like. :hi:
Im a definite Yes Chris! Will be arriving on #1022 from AUS on Sat. 1/7 with my Girlfriend, Kathy G,well be in a Roomette on 2230. We are staying in Dallas @ the Lawrence, riding back on the bus bridge/#1021 on Sunday 1/8 in a Roomette! We plan to ride the TRE to DAL after visiting the Anniversary Train, check into our Hotel and then attend the Dinner with the group! Breakfast is included @ our Hotel so perhaps will visit Dealy PLaza for the JFK thing before catching the 11:50AM Bus :angry2: to FTW on Sunday!

Addendum to my prior response:

Yes, we will be doing the dinner at Hoffbrau with the group. We will be in Ft. Worth around noon or so on the TRE, so we will be waiting for the Eagles to arrive.

If time permits, we will be glad to show anyone around the DART system and/or the McKinney Ave. trolley. We will also be available on Sunday morning, but have a play to be at Sunday afternoon.

I'm planning to come weather permitting as I am driving. Staying in Plano Best Western. Will take the TRE to Fort Worth to meet the Eagle on Saturday.

Return to Dallas to join the evening meal.

Yes I plan to attend. Leaving Houston on #1 Friday night Jan 6th, Rm 18, car 131. San Antonio to Ft Worth on Sat, Jan 7th, Train 1022 reserved coach. Return is SWA on Sunday Jan 8th, Flt 43 at 5pm. Staying at the Hotel Lawrence. Yes I plan to attend the dinner Saturday night at Hoffbrau.

Last edited by a moderator:
I neglected to say my son may or may not accompany me.

Hi Chris,

Unfortunately we will not make it to the Texas Mini since our plans have us heading to Fla for the Gathering in WPK the next week. Time and finances could not come together to do both. Hope you all have a great time in Texas and hope to see many of you at the next Big Gathering in the East next Oct, if not before :giggle:

Best wishes

Railroad Bill & Claudia

Where is the Big Gathering in the East next year?

Yep, I'm looking forward to meeting up with everyone on Sat at FTW, and I may ride over to DAL with the gang. I won't be able to make the dinner though. I have prior plans for Sunday as well. See y'all soon!

OK, here are the updates so far. If I get anything wrong just let me know!

If you voted 'No' or 'Null' or did not vote then you won't be on this list unless you speak up.

Yes/No/Maybe | Username | (Dinner) | 21/22/821/TRE/CAR | Hotel

N Railroad Bill

Y Texan Eagle (1) CAR

? Pat Harper

Y tonys96 (2) TRE

Y Texas Sunset (1) 22 Sheraton

? City of Miami

? OlympianHiawatha

Y henryj (1) 22 Lawrence

? stntylr

Y MistyOLR (1) 21

? Partyman

? GlobalistPotato

? grounded flyboy

? saxman

Y boxcar817 (0)

? wmk

Y CNW (2) TRE Plano Best Western

Y jimhudson (2) 22 Lawrence

? Will Ray

? RobertB

? buck1108

? Jim G.

? pennyk

? johnny.menhennet

? VentureForth

? NJCoastExp

Tonys96......yes, and will have my g/f (who took her first rail trip ever on the HF this year) in tow. We live in the DFW area.
Sounds good.

Texan Eagle - Yes. Single guy, attending alone. Live in DFW area. Will have my car available to ferry folks around if required. Coach class only, no roomettes.
What about the snack bar? Sightseer Sunroof? Pillows and blankets?

Yup, I'm still coming and interested in the group dinner, though I haven't found any outsiders to drag along yet ( :lol: ). Good thing I'm still anticipating meeting up with at least two AU people on the Eagle that arrives 1/7. I know I'm leaving on 22 (8), because I have a points run reserved for a few hours after my arrival if 22 is reasonably on time into STL. A question (what, someone had to ask it, I think :blush: ) Are text messages OK, or will things have to be calls only if someone needs to contact you?
Text messages will be fine, and in fact preferable if you ask me. Could get a little complicated otherwise.

Im a definite Yes Chris! Will be arriving on #1022 from AUS on Sat. 1/7 with my Girlfriend, Kathy G,well be in a Roomette on 2230. We are staying in Dallas @ the Lawrence, riding back on the bus bridge/#1021 on Sunday 1/8 in a Roomette! We plan to ride the TRE to DAL after visiting the Anniversary Train, check into our Hotel and then attend the Dinner with the group! Breakfast is included @ our Hotel so perhaps will visit Dealy PLaza for the JFK thing before catching the 11:50AM Bus to FTW on Sunday!
Glad to hear it! I'll probably be in the sightseer lounge when you board. I certainly feel for the poor folks stuck on the bus between Longview and Fort Worth. Hopefully they won't launch a mutiny and/or trash the place before it arrives in Dallas. ;)

Yes, we will be doing the dinner at Hoffbrau with the group. We will be in Ft. Worth around noon or so on the TRE, so we will be waiting for the Eagles to arrive. If time permits, we will be glad to show anyone around the DART system and/or the McKinney Ave. trolley. We will also be available on Sunday morning, but have a play to be at Sunday afternoon.
It will be much appreciated to have some locals with us helping to show us around. My experience with the DFW area is limited to a couple airports, a couple train platforms, and a few days of technical training several years ago.

I'm planning to come weather permitting as I am driving. Staying in Plano Best Western. Will take the TRE to Fort Worth to meet the Eagle on Saturday. Return to Dallas to join the evening meal.
Hopefully the weather will be nice and we'll get to see you there.

Yes I plan to attend. Leaving Houston on #1 Friday night Jan 6th, Rm 18, car 131. San Antonio to Ft Worth on Sat, Jan 7th, Train 1022 reserved coach. Return is SWA on Sunday Jan 8th, Flt 43 at 5pm. Staying at the Hotel Lawrence. Yes I plan to attend the dinner Saturday night at Hoffbrau.
I'll probably be boarding the Northbound Texas Eagle with you in San Antonio, although I sometimes cut it pretty close to departure.

I neglected to say my son may or may not accompany me.
I've included him in the count above. Worst case we'll end up with an extra chair or something.

Hi Chris, Unfortunately we will not make it to the Texas Mini since our plans have us heading to Fla for the Gathering in WPK the next week. Time and finances could not come together to do both. Hope you all have a great time in Texas and hope to see many of you at the next Big Gathering in the East next Oct, if not before :giggle: Best wishes Railroad Bill & Claudia
Sorry to hear that! Hope to see you at a future gathering as well.

Where is the Big Gathering in the East next year?
I don't think it's been decided as of yet.

Yep, I'm looking forward to meeting up with everyone on Sat at FTW, and I may ride over to DAL with the gang. I won't be able to make the dinner though. I have prior plans for Sunday as well. See y'all soon!
Looking forward to it!

Yes. I'll arrive on #22 on Sat and depart on #21 on Sun. I'm staying at the Sheraton in Dallas and I plan to come to dinner at the Hofbrau.
Excellent. I figured you'd be coming after securing a PL bid but didn't want to presume. :cool:

----------------------------------

N Railroad Bill

Y Texan Eagle (1) CAR

N Pat Harper

Y tonys96 (2) TRE

Y City of Miami (1) 22 Sheraton

? OlympianHiawatha

Y henryj (1) 22 Lawrence

? stntylr

Y MistyOLR (1) 21

? Partyman

? GlobalistPotato

? grounded flyboy

? saxman

Y boxcar817 (0)

? wmk

? Will Ray

? RobertB

? buck1108

? Jim G.

? pennyk

? johnny.menhennet

? VentureForth

? NJCoastExp

So far the weather looks good, for Dallas. Temps in the 50's and 60's. Sorry, no snow. I plan to get some breakfast on #22 after it leaves SAS Saturday morning. Anyone want to join me?

Yes. I'll arrive on #22 on Sat and depart on #21 on Sun. I'm staying at the Sheraton in Dallas and I plan to come to dinner at the Hofbrau.
Excellent. I figured you'd be coming after securing a PL bid but didn't want to presume. :cool:

----------------------------------

N Railroad Bill

Y Texan Eagle (1) CAR

N Pat Harper

Y tonys96 (2) TRE

Y City of Miami (1) 22 Sheraton

? OlympianHiawatha

Y henryj (1) 22 Lawrence

? stntylr

Y MistyOLR (1) 21

? Partyman

? GlobalistPotato

? grounded flyboy

? saxman

Y boxcar817 (0)

? wmk

? Will Ray

? RobertB

? buck1108

? Jim G.

? pennyk

? johnny.menhennet

? VentureForth

? NJCoastExp
I am a no for this year - but do plan to make it to Texas by train one of these days.

So far the weather looks good, for Dallas. Temps in the 50's and 60's. Sorry, no snow. I plan to get some breakfast on #22 after it leaves SAS Saturday morning. Anyone want to join me?
Sure, I'll join you.

What time are we going to meet at the Hoffbrau Steak House Saturday night?
Good question...

What time do most of y'all normally get hungry by? Are we dealing with early or later eaters here?

Seems like the common time for AU trips is about 7 PM... In my opinion, that's a good time, keeping in mind that we'll be a largish group and the common dinner rush time seems to be in the 5-8 PM range at most restaurants.

Seems like the common time for AU trips is about 7 PM... In my opinion, that's a good time, keeping in mind that we'll be a largish group and the common dinner rush time seems to be in the 5-8 PM range at most restaurants.
Who is going to call Hoffbrau and try to get a reservation? Probably a good idea on a Saturday night?

I spoke with hoffbrau manager. She can do this for us at 7:00 and have space for us. Might be a dhort wait...very short. Want me to guarantee this with my credit card??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back