Texas Eagle to Alamo-a short walk

Discussion in 'Amtrak Rail Discussion' started by SanAntonioClyde, Jul 19, 2018.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

1. Jul 19, 2018 #1

SanAntonioClyde

S

SanAntonioClyde

Service Attendant

Coming home Monday on Texas Eagle I met two couples who live on the opposite side of the country, Vermont and Southern California. They asked about the possibility of walking over to the Alamo since their connection to Sunset on train #421 was still two hour away. Begin a good Texan I walked with them to the Alamo. I have walked this area at night before but only after a big event at Alamodome next door with hundreds of people. As expected the route was well lite which is a benefit of the recently expanded convention center which built right up to the interstate highway. The Amtrak station is only one block away on the other side of the freeway, though you do have to walk another block to reach Commerce st. which passes under freeway.

Its about a 15-20 minute walk as I recall. Safe, well lighted and even had a late night taco stand on the way.

2. Jul 19, 2018 #2

Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Conductor

Also a 24/7 Denny's on E Commerce between the RiverWalk and the I37 Underpass next to St Paul Square where the Amtrak Sunset Station is located.

3. Jul 19, 2018 #3

caravanman

caravanman

caravanman

Conductor

Is the Alamo building open at night?

Ed.

4. Jul 19, 2018 #4

ehbowen

ehbowen

ehbowen

Conductor

The building is not open, but the grounds are.

5. Jul 19, 2018 #5

Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Conductor

And it's well lighted, lots of folks still taking pics in front of the Chapel( THE Image everyone has of what the Alamo was/is, but NOT where the Battle was actually fought as depicted in the Movies!)

6. Jul 19, 2018 #6

JoeBas

JoeBas

JoeBas

Conductor

Just make sure you go the RIGHT way, especially if doing this during a Sunset/Eagle meeting (late night), as the neighborhood deteriorates pretty quickly in any of the wrong ones. [​IMG]

7. Jul 20, 2018 #7

SanAntonioClyde

S

SanAntonioClyde

Service Attendant

I would also recommend Smokes for eats and drinks. Owner is well aware he is getting Amtrak passengers.

Also the area across the track is experiencing improvements. Two new hotels have opened there in last two years.

8. Jul 20, 2018 #8

Palmetto

Palmetto

Palmetto

Conductor

Those adjacent hotels might pick up some business if they allowed their patrons to park long term if taking Amtrak. The Staybridge Suites across the street comes to mind. What are the new hotels?

9. Jul 20, 2018 #9

SanAntonioClyde

S

SanAntonioClyde

Service Attendant

Holiday Inn Express is one. Two blocks east on Commerce. The other is across from Holiday Inn; as I recall it's City View.

Palmetto likes this.
  10. Jul 21, 2018 #10

Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Conductor

You are correct Sir!

11. Jul 21, 2018 #11

JoeBas

JoeBas

JoeBas

Conductor

That Holiday Inn Express isn't all that new, I stayed at it probably 6 years ago on our first visit to San Antone. And even then, the desk staff warned me to keep my car locked in the parking lot, and to only use their shuttle back and forth to downtown after dark, not try and walk.

12. Jul 22, 2018 #12

texline

texline

texline

Service Attendant